Game Thread 5/22: BOS @ SOX

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 22, 2013 -> 05:36 PM)
You don't think Santiago's one of the most valuable assets?

what has he done? He's got a potentially great arm. But he hasn't show the consistent ability to control it. He had some clutch relief appearances and a couple of good starts this season and now he's the golden god? I don't get it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 22, 2013 -> 07:32 PM)
But when you take a pitcher out of his normal routine...even if it's just one day, and it's not like Santiago has been a starter at the big league level for 3-4-5 years, it's going to shake him up a little. And we have no way of knowing exactly what was the velocity he was throwing at (some throw harder so they're a bit tired, others don't)...just the quotes we read from the newspaper expressing some doubt and trepidation.

He's still not over the 4th inning Saturday, one would think.

It's just a puzzling way to treat one of the most valuable assets in your entire organization.

I really doubt he is that feeble minded

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 23, 2013 -> 12:41 AM)
what has he done? He's got a potentially great arm. But he hasn't show the consistent ability to control it. He had some clutch relief appearances and a couple of good starts this season and now he's the golden god? I don't get it.

As you said, he potentially has a great arm. That's a lot more than anyone besides E. Johnson in the farm system. He's also not been given the chance to develop as a starter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2013 -> 12:42 AM)
I really doubt he is that feeble minded

You think this sounds like someone who's confident?

"It kind of sucks that I found out after I threw my bullpen," Santiago said. "For the most part, I think I'll be fine."

QUOTE (fathom @ May 22, 2013 -> 06:43 PM)
So what have the Sox said about Sale today?

Nothing you wouldn't expect, mostly cliches, we're not taking chances, it's a long season, we're going to give him some rest, better safe than sorry, etc.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 23, 2013 -> 01:41 AM)

Sub 3 ERA career as a starter. Pretty good for a guy we don't to give a chance, unless it is to fail.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 22, 2013 -> 06:44 PM)
You think this sounds like someone who's confident?

"It kind of sucks that I found out after I threw my bullpen," Santiago said. "For the most part, I think I'll be fine."

Actually from everything you read about this kid, he's the anti-Floyd.

Came up from a pretty rough area of New Jersey, via Puerto Rico heritage. To make it to the majors as a 30th round draft pick, you have to have some cojones.

I never meant to suggest he's feeble-minded...just have always been a big fan and proponent of his starting and don't like to see him being treated (some will say mistreated) this way on a consistent basis.

No more than I enjoyed watching Viciedo being moved from 3B to 1B to RF to LF. ETC. Or even Beckham being moved all over the field.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ May 23, 2013 -> 12:46 AM)
Nothing you wouldn't expect, mostly cliches, we're not taking chances, it's a long season, we're going to give him some rest, better safe than sorry, etc.

Still going Tuesday?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 22, 2013 -> 07:47 PM)
Actually from everything you read about this kid, he's the anti-Floyd.

Came up from a pretty rough area of New Jersey, via Puerto Rico heritage. To make it to the majors as a 30th round draft pick, you have to have some cojones.

I never meant to suggest he's feeble-minded...just have always been a big fan and proponent of his starting and don't like to see him being treated (some will say mistreated) this way on a consistent basis.

No more than I enjoyed watching Viciedo being moved from 3B to 1B to RF to LF. ETC. Or even Beckham being moved all over the field.

This is an emergency start, and nothing else. Turning it into something else is just silly.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 22, 2013 -> 06:47 PM)
Still going Tuesday?

I don't think they committed to that yet however Sale said in the interview he was going to go. In fact he told management he was going today but everyone got together and told him it wasn't happening.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 22, 2013 -> 06:48 PM)
Santiago really needs work on that change-up.

He should really concentrate on the change or screwball, one or the other.

The likes of Johan Santana or Jose Contreras have proven you can get by with just a couple of very good pitches at the major league level...and maybe a 3rd pitch you throw 10% of the time, just to keep them honest.

Sometimes, it seems young pitchers want to have 4-5 to demonstrate their full repertoire to scouts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2013 -> 01:49 AM)
This is an emergency start, and nothing else. Turning it into something else is just silly.

Exactly and if we get 5 good innings from him that is something to cheer about

Well, as "bad" as Santiago has been pitching, his WHIP is still nearly 0.10 better than Verlander this season.

So if we can afford to send pitchers to the minors who look better (ERA, too) statistically than Justin Verlander, more power to them.

It's only natural there was going to be some carryover effect in the control department...sigh.

Miguel Cabrera only has 50 RBI's so far. Looks like he'll get a shot at a couple of more. Pouring it on against CLE now.

Edited by caulfield12