6/2 - Sox at A's

flavum

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
Flowers played that terribly....shocking

Its funny how much he's changed. Offensively talented in Atlanta and defensively deficient. Then he comes here and becomes offensively deficient and defensively talented. Now he's just bad in both areas.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
Cause he is a terrible player.

What I don't understand is you say the Sox are loaded with bad plyers. Have a lot of players who simply can't hit. Then say the coaches are responsible for the bad record. I really don't know of anyone who can coach bad players to a great result.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 04:16 PM)
Its funny how much he's changed. Offensively talented in Atlanta and defensively deficient. Then he comes here and becomes offensively deficient and defensively talented. Now he's just bad in both areas.

you mean in their system, as he never was close to Atlanta as a prospect before the trade for Javy

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 11:18 PM)
What I don't understand is you say the Sox are loaded with bad plyers. Have a lot of players who simply can't hit. Then say the coaches are responsible for the bad record. I really don't know of anyone who can coach bad players to a great result.

Yes they have a lot of bad players, but they also play the game incredibly stupid. It doesn't take skill to know how when to back up the catcher or when to throw to the lead base or not. The Sox this year just look like a team that doesn't care and have a terrible thought process on how to attack pitchers, etc.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 04:18 PM)

The problem is that there's ZERO evidence of coaching this year on the defensive side of things.

And equally bad base-running.

If they were playing the game the RIGHT way and not making 3-4-5 instantly recognizable mistakes that a Little League coach or Tom Emanski could correct...just hustle/effort errors...most here wouldn't have a problem admitting there was a talent issue.

But there's a clear talent AND coaching issue right now.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 11:20 PM)
He's earned the right to show us how terrible he can be.

As long as he gets his chance and then isn't in the organization's plans after this year, that's fine (assuming he continues to be awful)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 05:19 PM)
Yes they have a lot of bad players, but they also play the game incredibly stupid. It doesn't take skill to know how when to back up the catcher or when to throw to the lead base or not.

Sale knows he is supposed to back up the play. He went back there but for some reason, the first base side. I don't see how his stupidity is on any coach or manager.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 11:20 PM)
Viciedo on pace for a whopping 12 homers and 39 RBIs.

(he was injured though)

Viciedo is a career. 224 hitter vs RHP and a .356 hitter vs LHP. Bernstein was talking about his swing this week and how he makes no adjustments with his hands, etc. based on where the pitch is.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 04:20 PM)
I think it is safe to say the rest of 2013 for the Sox will be bad baseball.

Or, even if it isn't, the argument will be we were already out of the race so none of the experience the players gained was under the pressure of a late season pennant race.

For example, if Erik Johnson came up and looked like Kip Wells in his rookie campaign.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 11:22 PM)
Sale knows he is supposed to back up the play. He went back there but for some reason, the first base side. I don't see how his stupidity is on any coach or manager.

But wouldn't you agree these things have happened far too often this season (after rarely happening last year)?

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 05:20 PM)
Viciedo on pace for a whopping 12 homers and 39 RBIs.

(he was injured though)

Dude, I keep catching you in these edits.

And this is not directed a you, but people wanted to write off Viciedo coming off a 25 HR season as a 23 year old are crazy to me. Give him some time for Christ sake. One week ago people were sucking his dick around here, now some of those same people want to trade him. Baseball is not supposed to be over-analyzed on a daily basis.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 05:23 PM)
Viciedo is a career. 224 hitter vs RHP and a .356 hitter vs LHP. Bernstein was talking about his swing this week and how he makes no adjustments with his hands, etc. based on where the pitch is.

I think he's a garbage player, but that's just me.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 04:22 PM)

Then why aren't the players doing it?

Most of us have seen high school and junior college teams that play better fundamental baseball than this year's Sox team.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 11:24 PM)
I think he's a garbage player, but that's just me.

It's hard to tell, but that's why I mentioned about the chance of him having a GM that's enamored with him and might be willing to give up a lot for him. There's no one else on the team I'd rather have up against a LHP, but unfortunately there aren't a lot of LHP in the AL Central.