6/2 - Sox at A's

flavum

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 05:53 PM)
A lot of fans have allowed the Buddy Bell PR/spin machine to buy into the kool aid and are feeling burned for believing in our system's progress.

I really felt Mitchell had a shot coming into this season...if he could become more consistent and cut down on his K's. Never had a positive feeling about Walker, who got a lot of hype just for being the first player drafted by the Sox that particular year.

75% of it is the startling reverse in Hawkins' fortunes.

And we still need Thompson's defense in CF, if he can just hit 675-725 and keep improving, that would be quite valuable.

The problem is the more sub 700 OPS guys you have in a line-up, the more pressure you place on Viciedo/Rios/Dunn and the pitching staff, etc.

I still like Walker in the long term, but remember, he's still only 22 and he was raw at the time he was drafted. There's no reason why we should have expected him to light AA on fire to start this year, everyone says that single A to double-A is the largest jump you make in the minors.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 09:58 PM)
I am sorry it is June offense is what it is.

The talent level sucks on this Sox offense. Far too many players on the roster that can't hit both LHP and RHP. Guys like Keppinger, Flowers, Wells and Viciedo should only be starting against LHP. Dunn and Gillaspie should only be starting against RHP. Just a poorly constructed roster.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
I hear he was crushed when Deunte Heath was optioned back to Charlotte, thought it was unfair.

Because seeing Blake Tekotte, Jordan Danks, Wise and Wells getting playing time for the SOX should scream to every prospect that they're blocked for a decade, lol.

Door/opportunity open...but you have to walk through it. It's not going to be given to you, not even a former 1st round draft pick.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)
Yeah. You're incredibly inconsistent. You want to rebuild with prospects with talent, but as soon as any guy struggles on our roster you can't stand it and you want to discard them. You admire and envy the struggling talent on other franchises but are unwilling to deal with the same thing happening in Chicago.

That's why your desire for the Sox to dump Ramirez, Peavy, etc., don't deserve any respect. As soon as the Sox got a player back for them, you'd turn on them and demand they be replaced once they had a down month.

The problem is we don't have many prospects worth developing. Quintana and Santiago. The rest, Viciedo, Reed, Flowers, and Jones, if the Sox lost any of them, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 11:00 PM)
The problem is we don't have many prospects worth developing. Quintana and Santiago. The rest, Viciedo, Reed, Flowers, and Jones, if the Sox lost any of them, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

If Viciedo has huge value on the trade market, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him dealt. He's regressed defensively this season and I don't think he'll be a quality 1B.

Viciedo, at least at this point in his career, seems to be the incredibly streaky type. Eventually, he'll go on another hot streak again, hit 2-3-4 homers in a week with 10 RBI's and "all is well" for the time being.

A bit like Carlos Lee (not saying he's going to be that good, just that he's not getting nearly as many RBI's opportunities as Carlos did back in the late 90's)...

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)

There's no reason to trade 3 of those players right now. Absolutely NONE.

If you really want to be in White Flag mode though, trading Addison Reed at this point in his career would be the way to go about being controversial for the moment.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)
He'll just not be brought back with most of this staff after the season, IMO

What I think is going to happen is they are going to fire him and try to spark something just like KC did not too long ago.

Personally I dont think its a bad idea. Kind of a quick change to try and turn the corner. If we're still in the slump then you know the direction you should head in.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
What's Sale's velocity been like? Only seen him throw a few pitches today.

From the A's broadcast (radio), 91-94.

In recent innings, they've mentioned the higher end of that range.

Cooper's still hot about the balk call in the 3rd. Another blown call in MIL/PHIL series this week.

Houston derailing the Angels' season, just like the Royals vs. Sox last year.

Sale wasn't backing up the catcher on the throw. On the LH batter's box side of home on the throw.

MORE HORRIBLE SOX FUNDAMENTALS. Gee, there's a surprise.

It's like they have all forgotten how to play baseball since August of 2012.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 05:07 PM)
Why would Ventura want to come back next year?

Why would anyone want him back?

I would like to know of a guy who would have this roster playing a lot better right now. The Sox still have a chance even though one of the greatest teams, from what I have read here, ever assembled is in their division. He will be back. They wanted to give him an extension. He has a contract for next season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 04:59 PM)
The talent level sucks on this Sox offense. Far too many players on the roster that can't hit both LHP and RHP. Guys like Keppinger, Flowers, Wells and Viciedo should only be starting against LHP. Dunn and Gillaspie should only be starting against RHP. Just a poorly constructed roster.

Yep very poorly constructed and managed for that matter.