SOX DRAFT PICKS 2013

NorthSideSox72

Lowry's signing was for $400,000, can someone please update?

So the Sox have about $420K to play with right now, that's not including the Trey Michalczewski and Matt Ball signing. It will be hard to sign all of those two, Octavio Rodriguez, and Adam Engel with the said amount. I would say they should go up to 5% over pool and pay the 75% tax if they have a chance to sign all 4 players.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
Lowry's signing was for $400,000, can someone please update?

So the Sox have about $420K to play with right now, that's not including the Trey Michalczewski and Matt Ball signing. It will be hard to sign all of those two, Octavio Rodriguez, and Adam Engel with the said amount. I would say they should go up to 5% over pool and pay the 75% tax if they have a chance to sign all 4 players.

Fixed. If the Sox decided, they could add about another $260k in bonuses without going over the tax number, but I really doubt they will do so.

http://www.sj-r.com/sports/x373360113/Plai...x#axzz2WFjBwNQI

Former Lincoln Land Community College and Pleasant Plains High School right-handed pitcher Devin Moore signed Monday with the Chicago White Sox two days after the organization selected him in the 27th round of the Major League Baseball draft.

Moore, who recently completed his senior season at Indiana State University, was picked 813th overall Saturday. He agreed to undisclosed terms and signed a contract Monday.

Read more: http://www.sj-r.com/sports/x373360113/Plai...x#ixzz2WILrOd83

http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildcatreport/201...-senior-season/

A couple of Lopez’s pitching recruits from junior college aren’t likely to make it to campus — Chris Freudenberg of South Mountain CC has signed with the Chicago White Sox after being an eighth-round pick, and Thomas Pannone from the College of Southern Nevada, is likely to sign as a ninth-round pick of Cleveland.

http://www.news-journal.com/etvarsity/high...bd621cdcac.html

Christian Stringer’s day started with what he called some terrible batting practice on June 8.

It quickly took a turn for the better as the Longview native and Hallsville High School standout received word that he had been selected by the Chicago White Sox in the 16th round of the MLB First-Year Player Draft.

He followed up the news by belting three home runs in the next two games as Rice battled North Carolina State for a trip to the College World Series.

“It was a huge relief, a weight off my shoulders,” Stringer said. “I found out after I had some terrible batting practice and was just about to warm up when one of our pitchers yelled congratulations.

“It relaxed me; had nothing to worry about. I was just ready to go out and play and leave it all on the line in my last games with Rice.”

Stringer made the news official on Friday by signing with the Chicago White Sox organization at his family home in Longview.

http://everythinglubbock.com/fulltext?nxd_id=193032

AdTech Ad

Wheeler and McCrummen Ink Major League Deals

By: Matt Roberts

Updated: June 11, 2013

watch video

Three Texas Tech pitchers were selected over the weekend in the Major League Baseball Draft, and today two of those players have signed their contracts.

First up was 15th round pick Andre Wheeler, he signed with the Chicago White Sox today he will report to Arizona on Thursday for mini camp and will eventually join the rookie ball affiliate, the Bristol White Sox in Bristol, Virginia.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 10:31 AM)
Can someone put this into a single post for me...which of the "tough sign/over-slot" type guys have we actually nailed? Michael-I'll get his name down by the time he's in AA I've got, who else did they nail from that group?

Matt Ball 11th round pick is in the fold.

Octavio Rodriguez is the one HS kid left.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 05:29 PM)
So we are missing two signings on the Soxtalk Big Board.

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 8m

White Sox announce signings of top 11 picks, 27 picks overall.

I thought Shryock signed, but maybe just was talking about it. If he had signed, you would think they would have said Top 12 signed, and not just top 11.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/draft...s&year=2013

The 13 unsigned according to the Sox site are:

12- Shryock

13- Hayes (College World Series)

16- Stringer (who signed)

17- Wagman

19- Engel (College World Series)

26- Sharrer

28- McKenzie

32- Johnson

33- Rodriguez

34- King

38- Santana

39- Tash

40- Coleman (going to Vanderbilt)

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/draft...s&year=2013

The 13 unsigned according to the Sox site are:

12- Shryock

13- Hayes (College World Series)

16- Stringer (who signed)

17- Wagman

19- Engel (College World Series)

26- Sharrer

28- McKenzie

32- Johnson

33- Rodriguez

34- King

38- Santana

39- Tash

40- Coleman (going to Vanderbilt)

They have a different list than we do. Santana said he signed on his twitter page, as had McKenzie and Sharrer. Had not seen Barnette, Carballo, Bengard, Macias, and Haupt I think that makes the differences up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 09:22 AM)
Fixed. If the Sox decided, they could add about another $260k in bonuses without going over the tax number, but I really doubt they will do so.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the $260k (or 5% of the Sox pool value) will get taxed 75%, which is about 200K, but they don't have to give up a pick within 5%. If they don't want to get any extra tax, I don't think they can sign a guy like Engel, let alone Rodriguez.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 06:55 PM)
Correct me if I am wrong, but the $260k (or 5% of the Sox pool value) will get taxed 75%, which is about 200K, but they don't have to give up a pick within 5%. If they don't want to get any extra tax, I don't think they can sign a guy like Engel, let alone Rodriguez.

Their pool number is $5,301,600. 5% of that is $265,080. As long as they stay under 5,566,580, they don't hit the 5% threshold and get taxed.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 02:33 AM)
Did you guys know we drafted but obviously failed to sign Audry Santana back in 2010?

Also, we drafted Marcus Semien in 2008, failed to sign him, and then redrafted and obviously signed him in 2011.

They do that on a semi-regular basis. Obviously if they liked the player in the first place there's a good chance they still like him a few years later.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)

The Sox have almost $800k for those players. If Michalczewski and Freudenberg signed for slot - I think they probably signed for more than slot - the Sox would have $420k for overslot players outside the top 10 rounds. The $420k is the combined amount underslot the bonuses for the eight players that we know the bonuses for. So the Sox have those numbers plus the slot bonuses for Michalczewski and Freudenberg as far as we know.

Either way, I doubt $300-400k is enough for Rodriguez. Maybe Engel bites for that much, but honestly, he doesn't interest me at all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 06:57 PM)
Their pool number is $5,301,600. 5% of that is $265,080. As long as they stay under 5,566,580, they don't hit the 5% threshold and get taxed.

A team can go over their budget, but if they go too far over, there are strict penalties. If a team spends by 0-5 percent more than their budget allows, they are taxed 75 percent on the extra. If they spend between 5-10 percent more than allotted, they are taxed at a 75 percent rate and lose a first-round pick in the following draft. Overspending by 10-15 percent results in a 100 percent tax and the loss of both next year's first- and second-round selections. Pass that 15 percent threshold, and a team loses two future first-round picks, while also paying a 100 percent tax on the extra.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/6/6/44016...pel-colin-moran

I think you might be thinking of the amount that a team can go over when signing picks from rounds 11-40 without counting against the pool money.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA 5m

#WhiteSox sign Trey Michalszewski for $500k. Oklahoma HS 3B, steal in 7th rd, good bat & power from both sides, strong arm. #mlbdraft

Does the new CBA still allow a team to pay for college costs for high school signees? If so does that count against a teams bonus allotment?