6-7 GT....Lets Sale to a W!!!

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 04:17 AM)
Says who? Hawk can keep saying this, but at some point, your team is what it is, not what you think it could be.

Problem is the Sox lineup is it what it is. Dunn and Konerko look to both be washed up. Flowers, Viciedo and Keppinger should only be starting against LHP, and Gillaspie only against RHP. Alexei has turned into a singles hitter going over 200 ABs without a homer. The ceiling for this offense is incredibly low.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 10:21 PM)
Says the 2012 season. This is, for the most part, that same team, the same team who was in first place for the majority of the season, and save the abysmal late season collapse in those final two weeks, would have won the division with around 90 wins.

But they did collapse. The team is worse this year. Dunn is awful, Konerko is awful. 2 of your more important hitters being terrible due to age/decline makes a big difference, it's simply not realistic to expect them to even reach 2012 levels, let alone better than that. Pierzynski is gone, replaced with Flowers, also terrible. There's 1/3 of your lineup. Keppinger's been awful, there's 4.

Floyd's done. Peavy's done for 4-6 weeks. There's 2/5 of your rotation.

It's not the same team as 2012, which, no one thought was THAT good at any point last year, either.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 09:21 PM)
Says the 2012 season. This is, for the most part, that same team, the same team who was in first place for the majority of the season, and save the abysmal late season collapse in those final two weeks, would have won the division with around 90 wins.

Except we could have said the same thing about 1960, 1984, 2001, 2006, 2009, 2011, etc.

The team we USED TO KNOW is dead from those first 4 1/2 months, never to return.

It has been replaced by this impostor of a mess.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 09:26 PM)
But they did collapse. The team is worse this year. Dunn is awful, Konerko is awful. 2 of your more important hitters being terrible due to age/decline makes a big difference, it's simply not realistic to expect them to even reach 2012 levels, let alone better than that. Pierzynski is gone, replaced with Flowers, also terrible. There's 1/3 of your lineup. Keppinger's been awful, there's 4.

It's not the same team as 2012, which, no one thought was THAT good at any point last year, either.

And Youkilis, for at least 2-3 weeks, gave this team a bounce and cockiness that never has come back.

Then you throw in all the defensive mistakes, missed cutoff men, base-running blunders, mental errors, bad coaching/managing, botched bunts, lack of hitting with RISP, it's a perfect storm of abysmal-ness and lack of preparation.

It's who they ARE, RIGHT NOW. It's now 3 months of this kind of play...it's more than an anomaly, it's a trend.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 04:21 AM)
Problem is the Sox lineup is it what it is. Dunn and Konerko look to both be washed up. Flowers, Viciedo and Keppinger should only be starting against LHP, and Gillaspie only against RHP. Alexei has turned into a singles hitter going over 200 ABs without a homer. The ceiling for this offense is incredibly low.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 04:26 AM)

These are excellent posts. I can envision no scenario in which the Sox start winning series. The record is going to get very very ugly. The question is ... will Robin want to return next season as the rebuild really gets going. We're going to lose a ton of games the next 5 seasons IMO and Robin isn't that bad a manager as what his record is going to be.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)
Easy to say in the throws of a losing streak, which every team faces eventually. Were you calling for 95 losses before this streak? I don't recall as much. The 1983 team was heading for a similar fate right around this time, and how did that eventually turn out? The point is, the range of the "realm of possibility" remains quite large at this point in the season.

Thad I applaud your patience and I would normally agree since I am among the most optimistic of Sox fans but the writing is all over the wall already on this season. Bad defense ,bad offense. Bad luck. Bad mojo. 0dd numbered year. Injuries and on and on.

I'm just hoping whatever is going on doesn't end up with Sale on the DL and Danks shows improvement and getting 1 or 2 legitimate ML ready player at the trade deadline.

The Sox played good ball only for that stretch that got them to .500 .That Cubs series the bad mojo really set in. Pitcher HR's, grand slams, terrible hitting, pitchers not holding any leads, and no HR's for us, it's just been brutal to behold.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 10:33 PM)
These are excellent posts. I can envision no scenario in which the Sox start winning series. The record is going to get very very ugly. The question is ... will Robin want to return next season as the rebuild really gets going. We're going to lose a ton of games the next 5 seasons IMO and Robin isn't that bad a manager as what his record is going to be.

I don't think he'll be the manager for very long, due to a combination of the team sucking, him not wanting to coach the team sucking, or him getting sick of managing in general, as I'm not quite sure he wanted to be doing this in the first place.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 09:36 PM)
Thad I applaud your patience and I would normally agree since I am among the most optimistic of Sox fans but the writing is all over the wall already on this season. Bad defense ,bad offense. Bad luck. Bad mojo. 0dd numbered year. Injuries and on and on.

I'm just hoping whatever is going on doesn't end up with Sale on the DL and Danks shows improvement and getting 1 or 2 legitimate ML ready player at the trade deadline.

The Sox played good ball only for that stretch that got them to .500 .That Cubs series the bad mojo really set in. Pitcher HR's, grand slams, terrible hitting, pitchers not holding any leads, and no HR's for us, it's just been brutal to behold.

We are not world beaters by any stretch of the imagination. I also happen to think we are not a 95-100 loss team, either, as this site's most infamous provacteur suggested earlier this evening. I still think there is sufficient talent on this ballclub that will surface and even out the results on the season. Will that be enough to prohibit us from being sellers in the next six, seven weeks or so? Probably not. But I don't think we are in the dire straits that some would lead us to believe.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 04:44 AM)
We are not world beaters by any stretch of the imagination. I also happen to think we are not a 95-100 loss team, either, as this site's most infamous provacteur suggested earlier this evening. I still think there is sufficient talent on this ballclub that will surface and even out the results on the season. Will that be enough to prohibit us from being sellers in the next six, seven weeks or so? Probably not. But I don't think we are in the dire straits that some would lead us to believe.

The opening day roster isn't a 100 loss team, but given what's happened so far, the injuries and the possibility of who might get traded, I do think it's possible this team struggles to get to 70 wins.

For example, if they trade Crain, Rios and Peavy, good luck trying to win more than a few games against the Tigers the last few months of the season.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 09:58 PM)
Where is that idiot that was giving me crap for making fun of Adam Dunn?

That would be me and I wasn't giving you crap about making fun of Adam Dunn I was giving you crap about his one AB last night.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 08:44 PM)

The pitching has been too good for that many losses but without Peavy ,does it hold up or collapse ? After the trade deadline ,if we sell off relievers , or Rios/Peavy then how bad will it be ? Some hitters really need to step up ,mostly noticeably Konerko and Viciedo. I mean if we're going to approach 90 losses might as well be 95 , just to get a better draft pick.

I'm of the opinion that with a lot of money off the books the Sox can compete next year unlike others who figure we're screwed for the next couple of years.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 10:41 PM)
Hope your prepared to watch even worse baseball....I'm pretty sure most people on here are not prepared for that.

How worse could it get???