Do you want Ventura back as manager next year?

Buehrle>Wood

Title  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Read

• Yes
    • No

QUOTE (TheBigHurtIsBack @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 01:27 AM)
Everyone knows I hated Ozzie post-2006 and on but I would almost trade Robin to have Ozzie again... that's how much I have hated Robin's managing. It's been that bad.

Ozzie is a better in game manager, which is shocking

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)
Don't tease me. Ozzie baby! Where is he now? What's he doing? As far as Robin, if I wanted to, I could make a case he has truly failed a city this season. We're about to blow up a whole team when in reality, did Robin actually have something to work with this season?

The failed defense came out of nowhere. Robin should be ashamed that his players are playing like mental midgets. True, the front office failed him in letting AJ go. That was a disaster for a manager. And true it's not his fault we have no corner infielders with power. It's also not his fault Dunn continues to wreck the lineup with his presence.

But he still has Rios and the young Tank who didn't develop. He has DeAza who arguably was a good prospect and he has a fantastic pitching staff, with a great closer and setup guy in Crain. He also has an above average shortstop who suddenly has no pop in his bat and now is abysmal defensively. Why has that decline suddenly occurred?

ON PAPER, didn't Robin have something to work with? Wouldn't a Joe Madden have this team right there?? Just asking.

The city doesn't really care about the White Sox. He failed a fanbase, not a city.

QUOTE (TheBigHurtIsBack @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 05:33 PM)
Echoed. I could give Robin the benefit of the doubt and put it on his lack of experience managing but just having been a player, you would think, would be enough to not mess up some of the very easy decisions he's botched.

So it's 2 tickets to paradise for Robin ?

I loved Robin as a player, and liked the hire at the time, and thought he did a very good job last year except for his brutal management of the bullpen and overall roster during September. However, I felt like he got the players ready to play pretty much everyday... but now it is looking more like the players showed up last year more as a wake up call with Ozzie and all the coaches being gone, as opposed to the extra practice they went through with Robin and his staff.

I have no idea how Robin just sits in the dugout game after game without showing any emotion, and then parades the same lineup out there day after day with no accountability on this team at all. Sure, the front office did nothing to help, but I am in awe by the lack of discipline on this team which showed it could be extremely disciplined last year. It would not surprise me at all if Robin steps down, both sides claim it being a mutual split, and he goes back to his role of roving instructor/go back home in Cali and relax and play golf. Hopefully Williams leaves with him.

So Robin sat Viciedo down to discipline him. What is SoxTalk's view of that? My guess it's either 1) the seat was too comfortable & Ozzie would have made him sit on pins or on the floor in everyone else's spit, 2) Robin, who has mentally checked out, forgot to put him in the lineup & made the discipline part up later to cover for himself , 3) WHY THE f*** DO YOU SIT THE PLAYERS YOU NEED TO DEVELOP MOST?!?!?!

Because it doesn't matter who you are, what Viciedo pulled in the 8th inning of game 1 of the DH was almost as bad as what Beckham did with the infield pop up in the 9th, regardless if you are still in the game or not.

The better question is why has Viciedo been the only to be put on the bench for one game when other players continually make terrible, sloppy, and undisciplined mistakes?

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 08:53 AM)
Because it doesn't matter who you are, what Viciedo pulled in the 8th inning of game 1 of the DH was almost as bad as what Beckham did with the infield pop up in the 9th, regardless if you are still in the game or not.

The better question is why has Viciedo been the only to be put on the bench for one game when other players continually make terrible, sloppy, and undisciplined mistakes?

It isn't like there are a ton of options. If the Sox were to bench players after dumb plays, they would only have 3 or 4 guys in the field. I am pretty sure Bud wouldn't allow that.

Everyone gets talked to, the Sox are still working on fundamentals. Gonzales even tweeted a photo from a baserunning class they were having before a game earlier in the week.

I will say, I thought the defense had its finest game on Saturday, but it still was a loss.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 07:07 AM)
So Robin sat Viciedo down to discipline him. What is SoxTalk's view of that? My guess it's either 1) the seat was too comfortable & Ozzie would have made him sit on pins or on the floor in everyone else's spit, 2) Robin, who has mentally checked out, forgot to put him in the lineup & made the discipline part up later to cover for himself , 3) WHY THE f*** DO YOU SIT THE PLAYERS YOU NEED TO DEVELOP MOST?!?!?!

At least for Viciedo, it did seem to work...he made 2 great plays in the field and went 3/4, I think at his age, sitting and getting individual attention from Ventura was what he needed the most at that time and place.

Now with DeAza, Ramirez, Rios and Flowers/Gimenez, it's a situation where 1) we don't have replacements or 2) they're veteran players who we don't need to invest as much time in "coaching up," although some will still argue Flowers MIGHT be part of the future in 2014. Keppinger was just getting overexposed, isn't an everyday 2B anymore and a lot of people felt he was playing through injuries, too.

For example, Dunn deliberately blew through a McEwing stop sign and scored. That wouldn't be tolerated by many managers when the team was down 14-9.

And we know how Ramirez hasn't missed a single inning all season yet, but has become the poster child for everything that's wrong with the team, along with Flowers and DeAza (even though his stats look decent).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 09:16 AM)
It isn't like there are a ton of options. If the Sox were to bench players after dumb plays, they would only have 3 or 4 guys in the field. I am pretty sure Bud wouldn't allow that.

Everyone gets talked to, the Sox are still working on fundamentals. Gonzales even tweeted a photo from a baserunning class they were having before a game earlier in the week.

I will say, I thought the defense had its finest game on Saturday, but it still was a loss.

I understand that, but that still doesn't explain why a player has been pulled only once, but it really is a moot point now. Sitting a guy here or there after a bad play isn't going to wake this team up and turn the season around.

• 4 weeks later...

It is going to be Jake's last start in Chicago as a White Sox and he wanted to give him some love from the fans, and give the fans a chance to give him a standing O.

I get it. It is a classy move from a true players manager to recognize Jake and his impact on the team, players, and fans. I've got no problem with it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 02:20 PM)
It is going to be Jake's last start in Chicago as a White Sox and he wanted to give him some love from the fans, and give the fans a chance to give him a standing O.

I get it. It is a classy move from a true players manager to recognize Jake and his impact on the team, players, and fans. I've got no problem with it.

He had the 6th and the 7th to do that. Especially after the 6th with Fielder and V Mart coming up to start the 7th and every pitch a potential for ruining the immediately future of the franchise should a freak accident occur. No one risks that when you have the top trading chip. No one . I brought up this in the fifth inning in the game thread and was expecting Robin to do it but much much earlier.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)
He had the 6th and the 7th to do that. Especially after the 6th with Fielder and V Mart coming up to start the 7th and every pitch a potential for ruining the immediately future of the franchise should a freak accident occur. No one risks that when you have the top trading chip. No one . I brought up this in the fifth inning in the game thread and was expecting Robin to do it but much much earlier.

Then he shouldn't have pitched at all.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 05:33 PM)
That risk was necessary . After all he might not be traded so you give him his regular turn in the rotation let the scouts see he's fine and get him the hell out of there.

Plus, "2 big league starts to show you've recovered from an injury" really is better than 1.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
That risk was necessary . After all he might not be traded so you give him his regular turn in the rotation let the scouts see he's fine and get him the hell out of there.

How far? How many innings? How many pitches? Where is that exact spot?