Do you want Ventura back as manager next year?

Buehrle>Wood

Title  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Read

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 12:27 AM)
I voted 'No,' but I do not blame him for putting together this godawful baseball team.

Same here. I voted no because I like robin too much to wish upon him another year of this crap.

I really don't, and I kind of feel bad about it.

If we go young next year, I don't want a laid back guy like him in charge. That would be the time to go after Dave Martinez.

Just bring up guys and let them play. Seems to work for other teams.

Yes.

This is Hahn's disaster.

Robin & his staff were brought in to work with young players. Where are the good young players? Sox haven't brought enough pieces in here to work with. Not Robin's fault.

Robin's game decisions can be horrible but that shouldn't matter so much right now because we need him more to focus on fundamentals (again, vets f***iung up aren't his fault) and handle a losing clubhouse so that even though they're losing the players still put forth an effort. The vets are dragging this thing down.

Hahn Hahn Hahn it's all your fault stop being so damn lazy already.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 06:44 AM)
I really don't, and I kind of feel bad about it.

If we go young next year, I don't want a laid back guy like him in charge. That would be the time to go after Dave Martinez.

Just bring up guys and let them play. Seems to work for other teams.

I thought one of Robin's strengths was that he could be the general type if he had to.

Paulie & Dunn are big influences in this clubhouse it seems. They need to go or else that s*** isn't going to work IMO.

BTW I have no problem with Dave Martinez either but is he going to want to sit through a suck fest anyway? It seems like so often a guy will get just 1 crack as a first time manager & if he doesn't pick the right situation then he's forever a bench coach. Is he going to want to be here? And what do we expect him to do when his GM doesn't have his back?

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 07:53 AM)
Yes.

This is Hahn's disaster.

Robin & his staff were brought in to work with young players. Where are the good young players? Sox haven't brought enough pieces in here to work with. Not Robin's fault.

Robin's game decisions can be horrible but that shouldn't matter so much right now because we need him more to focus on fundamentals (again, vets f***iung up aren't his fault) and handle a losing clubhouse so that even though they're losing the players still put forth an effort. The vets are dragging this thing down.

I agree with your sentiments and it is still my belief that Robin is the right guy to work with the younger players. Robin has made some questionable game management decisions, but how many games has Alexi Ramirez' defense and lack of clutch hitting cost us (among numerous other player faults).

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 07:53 AM)
Yes.

This is Hahn's disaster.

This is KW's disaster. Rick inherited a awful baseball team.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 09:31 AM)
This is KW's disaster. Rick inherited a awful baseball team.

He also inherited Chris Sale & Jake Peavy, his only 2 positive moves outside of the low budget Lindstrom signing & picking up Gillaspie for Soptic.

Plus he inherited Gavin Floyd, Matt Thornton, Jesse Crain all in the last years of their deals & so far has dealt none of them. He could have sold on other pieces too, like DeAza, what's he done? Nothing.

He inherited Rios too, which was a really bad KW move supposedly but if you need some talent you put him on the block. Rios on the block? Doesn't look like it. Hahn is sleeping.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
He also inherited Chris Sale & Jake Peavy, his only 2 positive moves outside of the low budget Lindstrom signing & picking up Gillaspie for Soptic.

Plus he inherited Gavin Floyd, Matt Thornton, Jesse Crain all in the last years of their deals & so far has dealt none of them. He could have sold on other pieces too, like DeAza, what's he done? Nothing.

He inherited Rios too, which was a really bad KW move supposedly but if you need some talent you put him on the block. Rios on the block? Doesn't look like it. Hahn is sleeping.

What is Hahn supposed to do? It's mid June, teams are still seeing what they have and where they are. KW was notorious for making a deal to make a deal, often giving up far too much when trading for a Major Leaguer or getting back too little when trading a Major Leaguer. Hahn is not like KW. He sees the big picture not the small picture.

We are going to trade pieces, there is no doubt. But you also have to make sure you trade at the player's peak value, which probably has not happened yet.

It's not Robin's fault, although I wish he would harder on guys making these mental mistakes. The fact of the matter is why would Robin want to be here through a rebuild that could take 5 years before we are competitive again. The way I envision it, Robin will leave, we will bring in a manager to get us through the rebuild, then we will have another manager come in to manage when the talent is in place and mature.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 07:53 AM)
What is Hahn supposed to do? It's mid June, teams are still seeing what they have and where they are. KW was notorious for making a deal to make a deal, often giving up far too much when trading for a Major Leaguer or getting back too little when trading a Major Leaguer. Hahn is not like KW. He sees the big picture not the small picture.

We are going to trade pieces, there is no doubt. But you also have to make sure you trade at the player's peak value, which probably has not happened yet.

Interesting.

None of us know s*** about what Hahn sees or doesn't see, because he has no body of work as a GM yet.

There's no doubt in my mind that Ventura can be a successful MLB manager, but it seems something has gone seriously wrong with this team. Having Dunn and Konerko being the clubhouse leaders is a scary thought, especially with Dunn being the active leader for most games played without making the postseason. The current composition of this roster (as well as what they had coming into the season) just isn't very good. Far too many players that should be in strict platoon roles that are being forced to play every day. If Ventura truly wants to be the Sox manager, the make him commit to a 3 year deal and then go ahead and make the necessary changes around him.

Criticize Hahn for the teams lack on success if you must, but I think you play your way out of this mess instead of trading your way out. We have some talented players on this club not playing to the standrad we or they expect. Yes, we do need some upgrades but not a wholesale destruction. Ventura knows the game, which can be fickle. Just look at his approval by us last year versus this year

Voted yes. He's a fine manager and should get better. I hope we aggressively reload in the next year or two and he's still here when we're ready to make a run. Bad franchises change managers. I'm not a fan of changing managers just for s***s and giggles. I don't like "generals," that isn't how baseball works. I think Robin does a good job with young players because he doesn't jump down their throats and the players know that a single failure won't result in a benching.

Yes. But fire Greg Walker.

Seriously, this mess isn't Robin's fault, well maybe a little bit here and there. It's on the players, all but for a few I hope are gone next year. Hahn deserves a little bit more time but this is much more on who put this crap team together than who's making in-game decisions. Right now I'd like to see more fire out of Robin; show us, show his team that he's as pissed off as we are.