NBA Thread 2013-2014

I'm trying to think back to the original injury.

This might hurt worse. Last time, we saw a promising season go down the drain. Right now, I fear that I see a promising career go down, and the foreseeable future of the franchise along with it.

Maybe we'll get good news, but I have a bad feeling.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is somebody who knows. The trainer on site is the best diagnostic tool for the ACL. They can manipulate the knee in such a way that there is little doubt. In my experience, trainers miss the diagnosis less often than MRI (swelling is often a confounding factor in both cases, but moreso with MRI since trainers can examine the player before the swelling sets in)

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 12:40 AM)
There is somebody who knows. The trainer on site is the best diagnostic tool for the ACL. They can manipulate the knee in such a way that there is little doubt. In my experience, trainers miss the diagnosis less often than MRI (swelling is often a confounding factor in both cases, but moreso with MRI since trainers can examine the player before the swelling sets in)

Will Carroll tweeted that the early tests are showing torn acl, MRI to confirm. And then we all weep together.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 01:03 AM)
I don't know how Rose will take this psychology. He didn't even get to play a quarter of a season and he tears his other ACL?? What are the chances. That would kill me emotionally

You either crawl into a ball and die or you fight back harder than ever.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 12:55 AM)
F that

Rose gets a chance to come back. If the Bulls dont show him loyalty, then f*** them as a franchise.

He may never be the same, but I would never support turning your back on him.

Sorry. Stick a fork in him if it's another ACL tear. You just don't comeback from dual torn ACLs and be the same. The Bulls have to operate as a franchise as if Derrick Martell Rose doesn't exist.

Honestly, I won't blame him if he really breaks down. This is unbelievably awful. Yeah, yeah, we know he gets plenty of money and it's part of the reason he will eventually be fine.

But he has invested a tremendous portion of his emotional livelihood in basketball. When he thinks about himself, he thinks "I am Derrick Rose the basketball player." Everyone he knows, even his family, thinks about him in this way. Success in basketball and success in life are synonymous for him.

That has been taken away. The rehab for the ACL injury took a ton out of him. The length of time away from the game, the time it took, the fear of failure, the criticism coming at him...those all took their toll. To look ahead at all of the same but even more is probably overwhelming.

Luckily (I guess), he has a long time to get over it.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 01:10 AM)
Honestly, I won't blame him if he really breaks down. This is unbelievably awful. Yeah, yeah, we know he gets plenty of money and it's part of the reason he will eventually be fine.

But he has invested a tremendous portion of his emotional livelihood in basketball. When he thinks about himself, he thinks "I am Derrick Rose the basketball player." Everyone he knows, even his family, thinks about him in this way. Success in basketball and success in life are synonymous for him.

That has been taken away. The rehab for the ACL injury took a ton out of him. The length of time away from the game, the time it took, the fear of failure, the criticism coming at him...those all took their toll. To look ahead at all of the same but even more is probably overwhelming.

Luckily (I guess), he has a long time to get over it.

Exactly, basketball is his life, its what he lives and breathes. And if that is taken away from him..... I couldn't even imagine.. It took him 18 months to come back from the first one. Missed a whole season.. Its reasonable to say he could be back by the start of next year but who knows.. Could take him even longer since it happened to him twice.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 01:09 AM)
Sorry. Stick a fork in him if it's another ACL tear. You just don't comeback from dual torn ACLs and be the same. The Bulls have to operate as a franchise as if Derrick Martell Rose doesn't exist.

Youre wrong. Youre disdain for Rose is noted, and you are wrong.

Im just not sure how you can find any joy in this. Love the Bulls, hate the Bulls, Rose was a gifted player, maybe even a special player that people would remember for years. And if he truly is hurt like they say, its a sad day for the NBA.

So right now all any basketball fan should be doing is hoping that its wrong. Because otherwise its just a s***ty day for basketball.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 01:21 AM)
Youre wrong. Youre disdain for Rose is noted, and you are wrong.

Im just not sure how you can find any joy in this. Love the Bulls, hate the Bulls, Rose was a gifted player, maybe even a special player that people would remember for years. And if he truly is hurt like they say, its a sad day for the NBA.

So right now all any basketball fan should be doing is hoping that its wrong. Because otherwise its just a s***ty day for basketball.

My disdain? Joy? What are you talking about? I'm 30. Not 12. The reality is what it is. I'm not going to cry. What would be the point? I've seen Penny, Hill, Amare, Oden, Bymun, Ming, Roy and others careers derailed/ruined because their bodies betrayed them. Nothing you can do. It would be beyond foolish to rely on Rose in any capacity long-term if this is another tear.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 01:27 AM)
My disdain? Joy? What are you talking about? I'm 30. Not 12. The reality is what it is. I'm not going to cry. What would be the point? I've seen Penny, Hill, Amare, Oden, Bymun, Ming, Roy and others careers derailed/ruined because their bodies betrayed them. Nothing you can do. It would be beyond foolish to rely on Rose in any capacity long-term if this is another tear.

I can see right through you. You added his middle name, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see the disrespect.

And its not about relying on him. Its about the fact that when someone is down, you dont f***ing knife them in the back so you can maybe get to some mythical promised land.

Edited by Soxbadger

...damnit.

If his ACL is torn, blow it up. Tank and pray you get Jabari or Exum. Sell of Deng, Noah, Booz, Dunleavy, Kirk. All of 'em.

Let Snell, Butler, and Teague develop. Hell, that Murphy can play.

Hope that Niko is a savior. Just...

Just, this is gut wrenching.

Edit:

Watching it now, it looked similar to when I hyper extended my knee in HS. You need help off the court and the ligaments are very loose, but he could be back in 2-3 weeks.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 01:34 AM)
I can see right through you. You added his middle name, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see the disrespect.

And its not about relying on him. Its about the fact that when someone is down, you dont f***ing knife them in the back so you can maybe get to some mythical promised land.

Wow, can't get anything past you. That's lame and ridiculous. Rose is a high-risk luxury at this point. Anything you can get out of him going forward (there stuck with him no matter what anyway), great. That's as far as it should go. The championship window with this group is officially closed if he's out another year. Everybody from Deng to Benny the Bull should be available for trade.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 01:43 AM)
They might not have to tank. They have little depth even when completely healthy. Another repeat of '13 is very unlikely.

They'll finish around .500.

Remember, they're 6-5 with Rose playing like absolute s*** for all but one or two games.