NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically, the question here is whether they will do a "cleanup" or "repair"

Neither is ideal, but we'd probably prefer a repair.

Cleanup is usually a fairly quick recovery, but that means they deemed part of the meniscus irreparable and cut it out. It doesn't grow back. You'll have less of it forever. If you have a very little tear, it's not a big deal.

Repair is much longer because you want the meniscus to actually heal at the site of the tear, so you stitch it together and basically just wait for it to heal. This is what they did with Westbrook, even though it was supposedly a relatively minor tear. The doc in the interview mentioned that he assumed it would be a repair based on the team saying he would be out "indefinitely" -- this entails multiple months of recovery.

It is hard to image the severity of the injury, so post-surgery will be a very informative moment.

Dr.Geier: Let me explain what's involved and then we can talk about what types can be repaired and what types can't. The majority of meniscus tears are of the type where you go in and trim part of it out. What that it entails is an arthroscopic surgery through about 2-3 small incisions. You look in the knee with a scope and you run a lot of fluids through it to see. Then you use tiny arthroscopic scissors and a shaver to trim out the inner part of the meniscus that is torn. What that does is eliminate the piece of the meniscus that is torn from catching between the bone and causing pain. So you take that out and leave the majority of the meniscus as a shock absorber. That's an outpatient surgery, it takes about 15 minutes to do. Then you work on getting the motion back and getting the swelling down. You're able to put your weight on it right away. And then you can go back to playing. That is about 2-4 weeks although most athletes tell you they will continue to improve over 3-4 months. But you can do things on it right away. I've had athletes get back into it in a couple weeks.

I say shave that f***er!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 04:48 PM)
Wow that was fast then. They snipped mine and I was back in a couple of months but that knee is basically worthless now at 32. Almost always needs a brace.

I was never really the same and still have pain sometimes to this day.

So many variables. If it's a slight tear, they can shave it back and he's back in 2-4 weeks. If it's a fully tear, there's two options: sew it back together and bye-bye season again or take it out and have a gimp leg by the time he's 30 ala D-Wade.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 05:12 PM)
I have no idea if they should punt the season for Jabari or not.

They are the Bulls, their coach is Tom Thibodeau, and the East is complete garbage. They're still winning 40-some odd games regardless.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
They'd have to shoot a couple guys to make this happen.

This.

If Rose is on the less severe end of the spectrum here, what do you do with your tradeable assets? Hang on just in case?

I say this as if you are the general manager and actually have to face the fans and your boss to explain your decisions. In other words, if Rose returns and looks like an all-world player at the end of the year people will want your ass fired for trading people. Either way, there will be a buttload of pushback if you trade half the starting lineup

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 05:21 PM)
If Rose is on the less severe end of the spectrum here, what do you do with your tradeable assets? Hang on just in case?

I say this as if you are the general manager and actually have to face the fans and your boss to explain your decisions. In other words, if Rose returns and looks like an all-world player at the end of the year people will want your ass fired for trading people. Either way, there will be a buttload of pushback if you trade half the starting lineup

Trade Deng while you can.

Luol's an absolutely awful shooter now. As good of a defender as he is, I think you can do way better on the offensive end of things.