NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 01:27 PM)
Rose having surgery tomorrow. Opting for repair - best case is a 4 month recovery. I'm guessing he's done for the season.

I can't find a source on the latter part (details on the surgery)

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)
I can't find a source on the latter part (details on the surgery)

There are two options as to the direction Rose and his doctors will decide to fix the knee. They could either remove the meniscus, or a portion of it, and Rose could be back on the floor in a matter of weeks. What seems more likely, according to a source will knowledge of the situation, is that Rose and the Bulls will decide to have the meniscus re-attached, which would put him out for upwards of four to six months.

While the first procedure would put him back on the court sooner, many players who have had that procedure, including Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade, say that it causes more problems later in a player's career. According to the source, given Rose's age (25) and the fact the Bulls have millions of dollars still wrapped up in his future, the likely scenario is that Rose and the organization will choose to take the longer approach with the hope that hr can return to being the same player before his first knee injury.

llink

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 04:05 PM)
Aggery Sam already hinting on Rose opting for 'repair' and sitting out season/

He should, honestly. This team isn't getting anywhere with him if he's not back to MVP Derrick Rose.

We're not done with the 3rd quarter and CP3 has 16 points, 16 assists

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 04:12 PM)
He should, honestly. This team isn't getting anywhere with him if he's not back to MVP Derrick Rose.

Might as well make things unambiguous so you can trade away Deng, Noah, or whoever else and people know why you're doing it.

Of course, if Derrick/his doctors think he should come back in the last month of the season as part of his rehab, there's no reason to stop him from doing that.

Well, time for swift decision making by the front office. Their "core" needs to be redefined. Time to cut the cord on Deng, Boozer and strongly consider Taj and Noah.

My problem with that is knowing this front office, I know they will just hunker down and say "we can still do this"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 05:29 PM)
Well, time for swift decision making by the front office. Their "core" needs to be redefined. Time to cut the cord on Deng, Boozer and strongly consider Taj and Noah.

My problem with that is knowing this front office, I know they will just hunker down and say "we can still do this"

If I were in their chair, I'd guess they'd try to get themselves under the luxury tax this year, I just don't know how they could get rid of that much money. That's the real first trick.

I'd be shocked if they traded Noah or Taj, that's not their style. I'm pretty much assuming we're going to see Rose (hopefully), Butler, Mirotic/Taj and Noah on the roster next year. That's not an awful start, but they clearly need to add to it.

I'm hoping to god they get whatever they can for Deng and Boozer, though I'm not even sure they have the stones for that.

Deng should be easier to move, they're are a couple of teams trying to make the playoffs that might be a good fit like Washington (Porter?), Cleveland, Milwaukee, Toronto if they want to dump Gay (he only has one year left past this one), maybe Charlotte, Denver or Sacramento.

Boozer, I don't know. You're probably going to have to take on someone's headache.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 06:11 PM)
Boozer, I don't know. You're probably going to have to take on someone's headache.

I'd call it extremely unlikely that they would trade Boozer and frankly it's probably a bad idea to take back someone else's bad contract to do so.

Boozer can still be amnestied this offseason. Anyone they take back for Boozer cannot be amnestied (and any team that trades for Boozer also cannot amnesty him). To the Bulls he's almost an expiring contract in the sense that he won't be in the way next year if they don't want him to be.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 05:20 PM)
I'd call it extremely unlikely that they would trade Boozer and frankly it's probably a bad idea to take back someone else's bad contract to do so.

Boozer can still be amnestied this offseason. Anyone they take back for Boozer cannot be amnestied (and any team that trades for Boozer also cannot amnesty him). To the Bulls he's almost an expiring contract in the sense that he won't be in the way next year if they don't want him to be.

I'm sure they'd like to trade him, but won't like any of the "opportunities".

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)
This. I can't even imagine the mindf*** he's goin' through right now. He's going to be more cautious/paranoid than ever. I think it's like 5% he comes back this year.

I don't see why. He waited a whole off-season and still got hurt. At this point he should know that it is what it is. If he's cleared, get out there and try.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 11:31 PM)
I don't see why. He waited a whole off-season and still got hurt. At this point he should know that it is what it is. If he's cleared, get out there and try.

I'm guessing the mindf*** is that he has now had two serious knee injuries without any contact on either play. How do you have any confidence in your body after that?

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 06:11 PM)
I'd be shocked if they traded Noah or Taj, that's not their style. I'm pretty much assuming we're going to see Rose (hopefully), Butler, Mirotic/Taj and Noah on the roster next year. That's not an awful start, but they clearly need to add to it.

I'm hoping to god they get whatever they can for Deng and Boozer, though I'm not even sure they have the stones for that.

Deng should be easier to move, they're are a couple of teams trying to make the playoffs that might be a good fit like Washington (Porter?), Cleveland, Milwaukee, Toronto if they want to dump Gay (he only has one year left past this one), maybe Charlotte, Denver or Sacramento.

I'd dump Hinrich for literally anything as well. Having Teague play starters minutes is a good way to tank.

I'm totally pulling this out of my ass. Would anybody be opposed to taking back the awful Kendrick Perkins to go along with Jeremy Lamb for Noah? I like Lamb a lot. That's a legitimate long-term piece. Perkins only has one more year left after this one. Noah/Ibaka/Durant/Sefolosha/Westbrook is sick. I'll leave zoom to spit out the financials.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 25, 2013 -> 12:27 AM)
I'm totally pulling this out of my ass. Would anybody be opposed to taking back the awful Kendrick Perkins to go along with Jeremy Lamb for Noah? I like Lamb a lot. That's a legitimate long-term piece. Perkins only has one more year left after this one. Noah/Ibaka/Durant/Sefolosha/Westbrook is sick. I'll leave zoom to spit out the financials.

Yeah, no.

Trading Noah (who people didn't want to give up for Aldridge this off-season) for Jeremy Lamb is not going to make this team better in the future.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 05:20 PM)

While they can amnesty him, trading him does cancel out having to pay him the difference between his contract and what another team is willing to pay him. There still is a financial obligation. It just isn't counted against the cap.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 25, 2013 -> 08:36 AM)
While they can amnesty him, trading him does cancel out having to pay him the difference between his contract and what another team is willing to pay him. There still is a financial obligation. It just isn't counted against the cap.

But it requires the Bulls to take on whatever bad contract is being sent back unless you're getting a currently-expiring deal, and a "high dollar currently expiring deal" has significant value to teams trying to get under the cap this year, so acquiring Boozer would hurt that. The Bulls would probably have to send something along like a draft pick to sweeten the deal there.