NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
Looking again at the bottom of the standings, you may be right. Didn't really notice how bad the bottom of the league is...Just 3 games from the 11spot.

How sexy would it be if the kings and bobcats finished 11th and 12th then the Bulls get a top 5? Then they still have the money to bring in Mirotic?! Oh sweet baby Jesus, make it happen NBA Gods.

I don't know this draft class well enough but let's throw out the hypothetical since we're imagining.

Would you swap that for the #1 or #2 pick? All 3 of those I mean?

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
Assuming that Gay picks up his nearly $20 million player option (he might not) they'll be at about $61 million once they offer a Q.O. to cousins. If Gay doesn't pick up his option then they'll probably have $10 million or so to play with.

The year after that they have around $20 million committed, probably closer to $25 counting this year's draft pick. They could up that to just over $40 million by offering Cousins a Max deal and be in a position still to sign a max level FA that year.

Um, they already signed Cousins to an extension. He's on the books for $13.7 mil next year.

Gay would also have to be incredibly stupid to not pick up that option. Given the general disdain for his game at the moment, that might be 3 seasons worth of pay on his next contract.

They've also still got quite a bit of money tied up in guys like Marcus Thornton, Carl Landry, Jason Thompson and Derrick Williams if they decide to keep him around ($21 million to the first 3 plus another $6.3 million if they choose to keep Williams).

In other words, not really any space to work with.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
Um, they already signed Cousins to an extension. He's on the books for $13.7 mil next year.

Gay would also have to be incredibly stupid to not pick up that option. Given the general disdain for his game at the moment, that might be 3 seasons worth of pay on his next contract.

They've also still got quite a bit of money tied up in guys like Marcus Thornton, Carl Landry, Jason Thompson and Derrick Williams if they decide to keep him around ($21 million to the first 3 plus another $6.3 million if they choose to keep Williams).

Rudy Gay's actually played really well for the Kings.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)

Ok, Cousins doesn't show up on Hoopshype. In that case, no they don't have cap space next year and could be pushing the tax line if they hit a high draft pick and use the MLE.

However, they'll have Gay as an enormous expiring contract next year if they want to trade him for anything, and they'll still have enough to make a major offer in 2015 if they are willing to move around a couple guys and pick up the option on Williams. HH has Landry, Thompson, and Williams still under contract for 2015 but not Thornton.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
Cousins, Thomas, and a top 5 pick could be pretty nasty.

How does their cap situation look? Gay a FA next year? If so, sans Cousins, who are they paying big money too?

Thomas-Mclemore-Wiggins/Parker-Cousins-? or Thomas-Mclemore-?-Cousins-Embiid or Thomas-Mclemore-?-Randle-Cousins all look scary id they got the $$ to add a good piece into those question marks.

As for this year, ya, they're not getting that pick.

As I just posted, cap space next year is highly unlikely. The year after, they're still at $30 million already just for Cousins, Landry, Thompson and McLemore. A top-5 pick would add another $3-6 million. Can they either keep Thomas and add someone major or add two capable players with the remaining space? Probably, but it'd be more likely to be Josh Smith/Al Jefferson types than a true stud.

Obviously the picks are the big wildcard, but even Durant/Rose/Davis caliber rookies don't typically add 10 wins in their first year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
Rudy Gay's actually played really well for the Kings.

Eh, it'd be hard to be worse than he was in Toronto. He's still only putting up a 17.5 PER and they're still awful. I'll put it this way: he's not going to get another $15 million a year contract if he opts out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 08:32 PM)
I don't know this draft class well enough but let's throw out the hypothetical since we're imagining.

If I was the 1st overall pick of the draft or the second overall pick in the draft I probably would not accept the 5 10 and 11 picks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)

Hypothetically, if one of the teams in the 1 or 2 spot wanna give up on a chance at Wiggins/Parker, yes I'd give our pick and one of the 11/12 (no chance they'll take just the 11 and 12). Then take Parker and hope someone verastile that can play the point and 2 guard like Levine or Exum drop to 11. Then get some big like Isiah Austin in the 2nd round.

Rose-Levine

Parker-Levine

Butler-Snell

Taj-Mirotic

Noah-Austin

Parker and Butler are pretty much interchangeable as far as position goes, and there's also a chance Levine ends up being a starter over Butler. If Rose gets hurt again Levine can be plugged in at the point.

That is just so sexy to even think about. I need to step away before I get wood cause I gotta go outside and install a battery, don't want my s*** to fall off.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
If I was the 1st overall pick of the draft or the second overall pick in the draft I probably would not accept the 5 10 and 11 picks.

I doubt most teams would, and the people running several of these bad teams (mostly thinking of Philly, Orlando and Phoenix) look competent. I know I wouldn't. There's 4 or 5 guys that look great (I honestly have no idea which tier Exum is in) and you are at the mercy of the teams ahead of you with that pick. I also feel like there's another drop-off in the 8-10 range depending on people unexpectedly staying in school, how guys finish the year and how the picks fall.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
Eh, it'd be hard to be worse than he was in Toronto. He's still only putting up a 17.5 PER and they're still awful. I'll put it this way: he's not going to get another $15 million a year contract if he opts out.

At least he can be considered efficient now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
Only takes 1.

Look, this is getting way beyond the point of discussing. The bottom line is there was basically no interest in acquiring him around the league and he could easily be looking at a 50% or more paycut for next year if he opts out. He's also 28 next year, so it's not like this is the last chance to try to scratch out a 4-40 type deal (if he's lucky).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

if the bulls do tank, they better tank to the fullest degree possible. Even if you end up with the 7th worst record in the league (bulls currently 13th from the bottom) you still only get ~15% chance at a pick in the top 3.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 03:35 PM)
When will Mirotic realistically come to Chicago? Everything I'm hearing is saying he will stay in Spain next year as well.

I don't really understand why he'd want to keep playing 25 minutes a game in an inferior league he's clearly dominating.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 03:35 PM)
When will Mirotic realistically come to Chicago? Everything I'm hearing is saying he will stay in Spain next year as well.

No one really knows. They're no longer tied to a rookie scale contract with him starting this off-season, so it's possible they can pay him enough starting this year. I don't recall seeing anyone with any real inside knowledge on his plans though.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 04:35 PM)

It's either this year or next.

He's under contract through next season, so if he comes over beforehand he'd have to sign a contract including money for a buyout. Most people thought when he was drafted that the 2014 offseason made sense - his buyout declines steadily as his contract gets closer to its end.

The question is whether a contract structured around the Bulls mid-level exemption will be enough. It might be, it might not.

But one thing worth noting is that Mirotic does have some leverage here too...if he says he is considering staying for the next year unless the Bulls put together a good enough contract for him to come over...that makes sure the Bulls can't skimp on his contract. He might well lose some of that leverage next year because he won't be under contract...but then he'd also have to play another year, risk injury, etc. But in that case he could also get the money that had gone to his buyout.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 09:47 PM)
It's either this year or next.

He's under contract through next season, so if he comes over beforehand he'd have to sign a contract including money for a buyout. Most people thought when he was drafted that the 2014 offseason made sense - his buyout declines steadily as his contract gets closer to its end.

The question is whether a contract structured around the Bulls mid-level exemption will be enough. It might be, it might not.

But one thing worth noting is that Mirotic does have some leverage here too...if he says he is considering staying for the next year unless the Bulls put together a good enough contract for him to come over...that makes sure the Bulls can't skimp on his contract. He might well lose some of that leverage next year because he won't be under contract...but then he'd also have to play another year, risk injury, etc. But in that case he could also get the money that had gone to his buyout.

Except all signs are pointing to Real Madrid pushing for an extension and him to sign. The thing we need to realize is Mirotic may well take a paycut to come to the NBA. We need to give him more than MLE to get him, IMO.