NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
Again, one of the max guys, which would be probably Melo as LeBron isn't coming to the Bulls. I don't think Melo is either, but to trade Noah or Gibson for a draft pick now to make room for a theoretical max guy is putting your franchise out on a limb. If Melo stays in NY or goes to LA, you just made your team worse, but not bad enough to improve your draft status all that much.

So what does standing pat accomplish? It is the one way that is 100% guaranteed to not result in a title.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
We got no worthwhile picks and saved some money this year. I realize the tankers are going to like it and if we end up with a great pick (by virtue of making the lottery), I suppose it works. But we clear Deng's money irregardless at year end and it is likely that we are getting 3 2nd round picks (plus the right to swap non-lottery picks with the Cavs in 2015). I'd have to think we could have at least gotten a legitimate future 1st for Deng. At this point, if we are truly tanking, we might as well amnesty boozer now. Is Noah going to get dealt?

correct me if i'm wrong... but

2014 first round draft pick from Sacramento Sacramento's 1st round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 1-12 in 2014, 1-10 in 2015, 1-10 in 2016 or 1-10 in 2017; if Sacramento has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Cleveland by 2017, then Sacramento will instead convey its 2017 2nd round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 56-60 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Sacramento's obligation to Cleveland will be extinguished) [Cleveland-Sacramento, 6/30/2011]

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 08:56 AM)
correct me if i'm wrong... but

2014 first round draft pick from Sacramento Sacramento's 1st round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 1-12 in 2014, 1-10 in 2015, 1-10 in 2016 or 1-10 in 2017; if Sacramento has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Cleveland by 2017, then Sacramento will instead convey its 2017 2nd round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 56-60 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Sacramento's obligation to Cleveland will be extinguished) [Cleveland-Sacramento, 6/30/2011]

I would be very surprised if Sacramento is a playoff team in the west in any of the next couple years. I could be wrong but I Think odds are that is a 2nd round pick, if not no pick at all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)
So what does standing pat accomplish? It is the one way that is 100% guaranteed to not result in a title.

So you can absolutely guarantee that Mirotic and two likely lottery picks don't turn into legit pieces? I would say the odds of that are better than not only getting Melo, but building a contender around him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)
lol. Keeping your players isn't standing pat? Back to arguing just to argue...

Yes that is exactly what you are doing. Arguing to argue.We are talking 2 players on the roster. 2 out of 14 or 15. Keeping them is not standing pat.

Rick Hahn has kept Dunn, Konerko, Beckham, De Aza, Sale, Quintana....why has he stood pat this offseason after losing 99 games?

Your argument to argue is beyond ridiculous. Why don't you actually act like a moderator and not an instigator?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
Yes that is exactly what you are doing. Arguing to argue.We are talking 2 players on the roster. 2 out of 14 or 15. Keeping them is not standing pat.

Rick Hahn has kept Dunn, Konerko, Beckham, De Aza, Sale, Quintana....why has he stood pat this offseason after losing 99 games?

Your argument to argue is beyond ridiculous. Why don't you actually act like a moderator and not an instigator?

Im not getting in the middle of your argument here, but comparing MLB rosters/salaries with NBA rosters/salaries is apples and oranges.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)
I would be very surprised if Sacramento is a playoff team in the west in any of the next couple years. I could be wrong but I Think odds are that is a 2nd round pick, if not no pick at all.

the thing is , they dont have to be a playoff team, and its not just the next couple years. they need to fall out of the bottom 10. Picks 11-14 is still a lottery pick. and its through 2017.

They have a decent core with cousins, thomas, gay and mclemore. Those guys can get significantly better. This year is a long shot, but they are only 3 games from falling out of the top 10. I will guess it does not happen this year, but 3 more shots? I don't know how anyone can assume it will be a 2nd. I also like their dedicated owner, seems like he is more than willing to make moves to win now.

basically we are rolling the dice on boogie cousins and considering he is 23 years old, with the 5th best PER in the league, I like our odds.

You can say... but they are still the sacramento kings.... true... but they have not had a player at Cousins level since early 2000s Webber.

All we need from the kings is to win about 30-33 games, 1 time, within the next 4 seasons.

As long as cousins keeps his head on straight, then we will be getting a 1st rd pick sometime in the next few years.

Whomever replaces Deng may not be as good as Deng was from 2005-2012, but they may be better than Deng will be from 2-14-2016.

Deng played his ass off for bulls. I respect the hell out of him. But Bulls were in basketball hell with cap and talent. "Amnestying Boozer" and letting Deng walk weren't enough. We need assets.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 11:20 AM)
Im not getting in the middle of your argument here, but comparing MLB rosters/salaries with NBA rosters/salaries is apples and oranges.

Yes, but Gibson is a bench player. Noah is a starter. If keeping a starter and a bench player on an NBA roster means you are standing pat, 99% of NBA teams stand pat every season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
Yes, but Gibson is a bench player. Noah is a starter. If keeping a starter and a bench player on an NBA roster means you are standing pat, 99% of NBA teams stand pat every season.

Gibson is paid like a starter, that changes things a lot

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 11:46 AM)
Gibson is paid like a starter, that changes things a lot

It is still not standing pat when you can change around 75% of the roster if you wish. The Bulls could keep Noah, Gibson, Rose and a few more and it wouldn't be standing pat.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
the thing is , they dont have to be a playoff team, and its not just the next couple years. they need to fall out of the bottom 10. Picks 11-14 is still a lottery pick. and its through 2017.

They have a decent core with cousins, thomas, gay and mclemore. Those guys can get significantly better. This year is a long shot, but they are only 3 games from falling out of the top 10. I will guess it does not happen this year, but 3 more shots? I don't know how anyone can assume it will be a 2nd. I also like their dedicated owner, seems like he is more than willing to make moves to win now.

basically we are rolling the dice on boogie cousins and considering he is 23 years old, with the 5th best PER in the league, I like our odds.

You can say... but they are still the sacramento kings.... true... but they have not had a player at Cousins level since early 2000s Webber.

All we need from the kings is to win about 30-33 games, 1 time, within the next 4 seasons.

As long as cousins keeps his head on straight, then we will be getting a 1st rd pick sometime in the next few years.

I wouldn't assume either way, but I'm not exactly warm and fuzzy about the Kings' chances.

They're the 4th worst team in the league in a year where a lot of teams are trying to lose (or at least not actively trying to win). They're not much better with Gay either, they're only 6-12 in games that he's played.

They look good as a fantasy team, but not so much as an actual team. They're a horrible defensive team, 29th in the league in defensive efficiency. You have to have a top-5 type offense to compensate for that kind of ineptitude, and they don't. They really only have three useful players, maybe 4 with McLemore eventually developing.

It also doesn't help that they're in the West, which is a much tougher conference. They have to be quite a bit better to get over 30 wins than if they were in the East. Since they lost the last of their solid roster in 08, they haven't had a WPT above .341.

Basically, it's going to depend on what they get in the draft. If they hit a homer or two doubles between now and then, the Bulls probably get a pick. If they do what they normally do, it's going to come down to the wire.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 06:48 PM)
It is still not standing pat when you can change around 75% of the roster if you wish. The Bulls could keep Noah, Gibson, Rose and a few more and it wouldn't be standing pat.

Okay, but when 75% of your salary is committed to 25% of your roster, then you can't add a lot of quality to the remaining positions unless they are cheap. Which cheap great players aren't often available in FA, but sometimes are in the draft.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 11:54 AM)
I wouldn't assume either way, but I'm not exactly warm and fuzzy about the Kings' chances.

They're the 4th worst team in the league in a year where a lot of teams are trying to lose (or at least not actively trying to win). They're not much better with Gay either, they're only 6-12 in games that he's played.

They look good as a fantasy team, but not so much as an actual team. They're a horrible defensive team, 29th in the league in defensive efficiency. You have to have a top-5 type offense to compensate for that kind of ineptitude, and they don't. They really only have three useful players, maybe 4 with McLemore eventually developing.

It also doesn't help that they're in the West, which is a much tougher conference. They have to be quite a bit better to get over 30 wins than if they were in the East. Since they lost the last of their solid roster in 08, they haven't had a WPT above .341.

Basically, it's going to depend on what they get in the draft. If they hit a homer or two doubles between now and then, the Bulls probably get a pick. If they do what they normally do, it's going to come down to the wire.

Sacto is a team that has a ton of talent and potential, but no basketball IQ at all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
Sacto is a team that has a ton of talent and potential, but no basketball IQ at all.

I wouldn't even say they have A TON of talent. Who's their 4th best player? Derrick Williams? Do Jason Thompson and Marcus Thornton worry you at all? What about McLemore and his 37% shooting? It's not like their big-3 is anything close championship-caliber either.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)

So if we were to loan them Tom Thibodeau for the rest of the season we get another top 20 pick this year?

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)
I wouldn't even say they have A TON of talent. Who's their 4th best player? Derrick Williams? Do Jason Thompson and Marcus Thornton worry you at all? What about McLemore and his 37% shooting? It's not like their big-3 is anything close championship-caliber either.

Cousins, Thomas, and a top 5 pick could be pretty nasty.

How does their cap situation look? Gay a FA next year? If so, sans Cousins, who are they paying big money too?

Thomas-Mclemore-Wiggins/Parker-Cousins-? or Thomas-Mclemore-?-Cousins-Embiid or Thomas-Mclemore-?-Randle-Cousins all look scary id they got the $$ to add a good piece into those question marks.

As for this year, ya, they're not getting that pick.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)
Cousins, Thomas, and a top 5 pick could be pretty nasty.

How does their cap situation look? Gay a FA next year? If so, sans Cousins, who are they paying big money too?

Thomas-Mclemore-Wiggins/Parker-Cousins-? or Thomas-Mclemore-?-Cousins-Embiid or Thomas-Mclemore-?-Randle-Cousins all look scary id they got the $$ to add a good piece into those question marks.

As for this year, ya, they're not getting that pick.

Assuming that Gay picks up his nearly $20 million player option (he might not) they'll be at about $61 million once they offer a Q.O. to cousins. If Gay doesn't pick up his option then they'll probably have $10 million or so to play with.

The year after that they have around $20 million committed, probably closer to $25 counting this year's draft pick. They could up that to just over $40 million by offering Cousins a Max deal and be in a position still to sign a max level FA that year.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 02:22 PM)
I won't say 100% Bulls can't get that pick while the NBA Injury Fairy is working overtime so much.

Looking again at the bottom of the standings, you may be right. Didn't really notice how bad the bottom of the league is...Just 3 games from the 11spot.

How sexy would it be if the kings and bobcats finished 11th and 12th then the Bulls get a top 5? Then they still have the money to bring in Mirotic?! Oh sweet baby Jesus, make it happen NBA Gods.