NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 14, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
Absolutely. I think Thibodeau is probably the 2nd best coach in the NBA after Pop. He has flaws though. The minute loads are a big deal though. It is possible that his teams will never be healthy enough in the playoffs to win anything because of his "win all 82" mentality.

The other side of that token though is that its entirely possible that one person's weak knees have sabotaged what would otherwise be a successful program. Take the opposite example; Luol Deng. Deng had a reputation of being injury-prone with the Bulls until Thibs came around, then suddenly he was actually able to stay on the court and be productive constantly for years. Boozer was incredibly injury prone before coming to the Bulls and he only had 1 year with us where he was banged up.

On top of that, when you subtract a guy from the rotation who should be getting 35 minutes a night, that puts enormous stress on the roster. The Bulls even subtracted 2 of those from their starting lineup this season.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 14, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)
NBA and plethora of good coaches should not go together.

Lionel Hollins

Jeff Van Gundy

Mark Jackson

George Karl

then you have guys like

Steve Kerr

Fred Hoiberg

Kevin Ollie

Ettore Messina

Who may be good coaches in the NBA.

Everybody assumes Hoiberg will leave Iowa State for NBA. He makes a lot of money and has that heart problem. Also a few little kids. My guess is he will stay in college though I don't know anything about the guy except he had a heart problem. Recruiting may be a hassle at Iowa State but he seems to be doing pretty well in that regard, taking advantage of the current transfer epidemic, etc.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 14, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
Absolutely. I think Thibodeau is probably the 2nd best coach in the NBA after Pop. He has flaws though. The minute loads are a big deal though. It is possible that his teams will never be healthy enough in the playoffs to win anything because of his "win all 82" mentality.

Homer much? He doesn't have even one NBA Finals appearance.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 14, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
Homer much? He doesn't have even one NBA Finals appearance.

Do you really believe Erik Spoelstra is one of the best coaches in the NBA, or do you think that perhaps because he has the greatest player of the generation, plus a plethora of other talented players, that he's maybe just a guy in the right place at the right time?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 14, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
Do you really believe Erik Spoelstra is one of the best coaches in the NBA, or do you think that perhaps because he has the greatest player of the generation, plus a plethora of other talented players, that he's maybe just a guy in the right place at the right time?

No joke. A trained monkey could win titles with that team. Since one wasn't available, they had to make do with Spo, and it took them an extra year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
No joke. A trained monkey could win titles with that team. Since one wasn't available, they had to make do with Spo, and it took them an extra year.

It took them an extra year because Lebron cowered in the corner against the Mavs, not because of Spo either IMO. The Heat are absolutely loaded, but people forget that now because Wade and Bosh are role players with Lebron.

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 14, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
It took them an extra year because Lebron cowered in the corner against the Mavs, not because of Spo either IMO. The Heat are absolutely loaded, but people forget that now because Wade and Bosh are role players with Lebron.

Sounds like something a little coaching might help.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
Sounds like something a little coaching might help.

Ha, possibly. I don't think Spoelstra is a great coach by any means, but there were times they got Lebron the ball in the post against guys like Jason Terry and JJ Barea and he couldn't do anything. He got touches, but just played passive while everybody scrutinized him. He would have needed one hell of a motivator to help him out. He just mentally checked out that series.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 14, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)

Actually, I do believe that Spoelstra has become one of the best coaches in the NBA.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 14, 2014 -> 03:01 PM)
Actually, I do believe that Spoelstra has become one of the best coaches in the NBA.

I agree. I don't agree with the fact that Thibs isn't one of the better coaches in the game because he hasn't been to a championship though.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 14, 2014 -> 03:01 PM)

I don't think he's a slouch, but off the top of my head, I'm taking Pop, Rivers, Carlisle, and Thibs over him in a heartbeat, and if I got down to really looking at it, there could certainly be others I'd take as well.

My point being that simply because he doesn't have a finals appearance doesn't mean that Thibs isn't a top coach. You can have the best jockey in the world, but if he's riding a donkey, he's not winning the Kentucky Derby.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 14, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)

I agree; I think he is a top 10 coach in this league. Not better then Thibbs though.