Sox Will Sell; Everyone But Sale and Konerko on Block

Heads22

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 08:58 AM)
Name a team that has bottomed out, traded their best players and were back in contention in 2 or 3 years? This isn't the NBA. Draft picks rarely provide immediate help. The Sox will be lucky, incredibly lucky,if the guy they pick next June , even if they get the first pick,is really contibuting in 2016.

I don't know what you're argument is here. I didn't even mention the draft.

My post was about why you shouldn't trade all your young core pieces, namely Sale.

If the Sox make a bunch of moves then they lose a bunch of veteran players, but if they do nothing then they also lose a bunch of veteran players at the end of the year due to FA.

If you don't think the Sox can find someone to replace Alexei's on-field value (much less factoring in cost) in 2 years when we could be good again then I think you are being difficult at best. Rios is still a potential headcase and I would argue that keeping him is still a risk. What would the Sox trade that would really hurt their chances of becoming good again? They don't have to deal Peavy, they can hold onto him & use him in a deal later if they want after they've had some of their questions answered. They can trade him for need/fit at a later point than just talent at one of many possible positions.

The Sox have shown the ability to work with less than this ala 2007. The 2008 club was a composite of Chris Carter the prospect, a FA UT player signing out of Cuba, the McCarthy trade, and the Freddy Garcia deal, both pitcher trades occurring after 2006, meaning both Floyd & Danks took a year for the Sox to develop at the MLB level. You're throwing s*** at the wall I think, or posting without thought. The Sox have done all this before and there are absolutely no indications that they are preparing for a Cubs style trade everyone rebuild. That's why Sale is not available, because they actually know what they are doing.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 09:25 AM)
I don't know what you're argument is here. I didn't even mention the draft.

My post was about why you shouldn't trade all your young core pieces, namely Sale.

If the Sox make a bunch of moves then they lose a bunch of veteran players, but if they do nothing then they also lose a bunch of veteran players at the end of the year due to FA.

If you don't think the Sox can find someone to replace Alexei's on-field value (much less factoring in cost) in 2 years when we could be good again then I think you are being difficult at best. Rios is still a potential headcase and I would argue that keeping him is still a risk. What would the Sox trade that would really hurt their chances of becoming good again? They don't have to deal Peavy, they can hold onto him & use him in a deal later if they want after they've had some of their questions answered. They can trade him for need/fit at a later point than just talent at one of many possible positions.

The Sox have shown the ability to work with less than this ala 2007. The 2008 club was a composite of Chris Carter the prospect, a FA UT player signing out of Cuba, the McCarthy trade, and the Freddy Garcia deal, both pitcher trades occurring after 2006, meaning both Floyd & Danks took a year for the Sox to develop at the MLB level. You're throwing s*** at the wall I think, or posting without thought. The Sox have done all this before and there are absolutely no indications that they are preparing for a Cubs style trade everyone rebuild. That's why Sale is not available, because they actually know what they are doing.

The point is trading all of your veterans is not going to work out so well. It isn't like the Sox have 4 or 5 guys ready to go in Birmingham or Charlotte. People have visions of Crain netting huge prospects, but that isn't going to happen. A team will take Rios' money but thinking they are going to give up someone who is going to be great in 2 or 3 seasons is unlikely. I don't think his trotting to first helps Hahn's cause.. The only guy the Sox really have that can get you superstar prospects is Sale. Sure, get rid of the guys that won't be around next year anyway. Crain included. But I would be very leary of dealing guys like Peavy as he is worth more to the Sox than the prospects he would net, unless its a full blown rebuild, which considering the Sox system , is at least a 4 or 5 year project. Minimum.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
Rosenthal talking about Rios being a fit for the Pirates. http://msn.foxsports.com/video/MLB?vid=035...5d-d860f4161446

They have some exciting prospects in their system that could be a fit (obviously not Taillon).

Bell

Hanson

Glasnow

Kingham

Polanco

All legitimate prospects I'd be interested in. Polanco might be untouchable though.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)
Rosenthal talking about Rios being a fit for the Pirates. http://msn.foxsports.com/video/MLB?vid=035...5d-d860f4161446

They have some exciting prospects in their system that could be a fit (obviously not Taillon).

Giants, Reds and Rangers (if Cruz is suspended) all legit possibilities.

With Bruce, Choo and Rios, that would be something...Heisey, X. Paul and Derrick Robinson aren't quite good enough to get it done.

Peavy back to the Padres would be amusing...

I expect Ramirez, Rios, Crain, Thorton and Lindstrom to be dealt sooner rather than later.

If Peavy can prove healthy right before the deadline, I expect him gone too. He may be one of those guys dealt right at the July 31st deadline.

Guys that we are stuck with: Dunn and Keppinger (Barf!)

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 01:50 PM)
I expect Ramirez, Rios, Crain, Thorton and Lindstrom to be dealt sooner rather than later.

If Peavy can prove healthy right before the deadline, I expect him gone too. He may be one of those guys dealt right at the July 31st deadline.

Guys that we are stuck with: Dunn and Keppinger (Barf!)

We're hardly stuck with Keppinger. As mentioned already, the Yankees have many reasons to be interested.

He's probably been our best hitter (along with Dunn) over the last month or so.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 02:33 PM)
Remember in 2007, the entire roster was up for grabs, but the Sox traded Iguchi and Mackowiak.

I doubt a full on gutting of the roster takes place.

I'm 100% sure a full gutting of the roster doesn't take place. In fact I'd be shocked if 4 key pieces are traded . My key pieces being Peavy, Santiago, Sale, Quintana, Danks. Rios, DeAza , Viciedo, Alexei, Beckham, Phegley,Crain, Reed, Jones ,Dunn ,Erik Johnson.

Edited to add Johnson.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 02:00 AM)
I'm 100% sure a full gutting of the roster doesn't take place. In fact I'd be shocked if 4 key pieces are traded . My key pieces being Peavy, Santiago, Sale, Quintana, Danks. Rios, DeAza , Viciedo, Alexei, Beckham, Phegley,Crain, Reed, Jones ,Dunn.

I think it's all but certain that Crain & Peavy get moved. Same goes for Lindstrom, although he's not one of your key pieces.

After that, everything is less certain. I think there's a very good chance that at least one of Rios or De Aza gets moved, and possibly both. There are quite a few corner OFs that will be available in free agency, so this wouldn't be the hardest position to replenish assuming you have some money (which we will). I just don't think they'll give either of these guys away.

I also think they'll be selling hard on Ramirez. The complete loss of power is maddening and he's never going to be a high OBP guy, which is a serious team wide issue. The AVG & SBs may be nice, but his wRC+ is 80 on the season. Now, he's a strong defensive SS and that makes him valuable. I just think to fix the offense we have to clear out the unproductive hitters that don't have much potential to get better. That means a guy like Alexei should probably go, even if it hurts on the defensive side. Plus I think Hahn will be targeting SS's in any Peavy deal, so hopefully a replacement would be close to being ready.

Maybe Hahn finds a way to dump Keppinger or Dunn for salary relief, but I'm not too optimistic on either front. I doubt we're selling anyone else either. I'm sure he's listening to offers on Reed and maybe even Santiago/Quintana, but Hahn would have to blown away to act on any of those players.

Edited by Chicago White Sox