Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
This is like saying you don't draft Michigan wide receivers or USC quarterbacks or you don't trade for Yankees prospects.

#1) The last of those trades happened 5 years ago. Durham and Foulke both occurred 10+ years ago. Times have changed.

#2) The Sox got Neal Cotts. He was only good for 1 year, but he helped win a World Series. That's all I need

If you got consistent duds from USC or Michigan, you probably wouldn't.

Have times changed? Beane was there then and is there now. Roids were around then and around now. What has really changed?

But like I said, most of that was our stupidity. We seem to make stupid decisions when we deal with Oakland.

Pass.

As for the Lemon trade, Kemp performed very well. Lemon was just the better player. I have no idea how the Sox couldn't see that. On the other hand, Swisher and Koch were utter duds (Swisher wasn't terrible, but played below par, and the Sox overrated him anyway in terms of talent relinquished).

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 02:56 PM)
I think they'd laugh us off the phone if we asked for Russell.

The problem for them is that their farm system is bad and they have very few legitimate prospects. If they want a deal they are going to have to give up Russell as they have very little else of any value.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)
If you got consistent duds from USC or Michigan, you probably wouldn't.

Have times changed? Beane was there then and is there now. Roids were around then and around now. What has really changed?

But like I said, most of that was our stupidity. We seem to make stupid decisions when we deal with Oakland.

Pass.

You are making pretty weak corollaries here. The Sox completely destroyed the Phillies in the Thome and Garcia trades, and that didn't stop them from making a deal for Iguchi, nor did it stop the Phillies from checking in on De Aza. There have been multiple deals with the DBacks over the years, and while the DBacks have probably come out slightly ahead, there has pretty much been a clear winner in every move, alternating between the two.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of thoroughly scouting those player you are interested in and coming up with fair value.

If Hahn thinks he's getting the best deal from Oakland, then that's the move he's going to make, no matter what Billy Koch is doing now a days.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)
As for the Lemon trade, Kemp performed very well. Lemon was just the better player. I have no idea how the Sox couldn't see that. On the other hand, Swisher and Koch were utter duds (Swisher wasn't terrible, but played below par, and the Sox overrated him anyway in terms of talent relinquished).

Why does Neal Cotts have 1 more World Series ring than Billy Beane?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 01:37 PM)
Mike, you're a Cardinals fan, what would you give up for Peavy or Peavy and Crain?

Well, I have given Peavy a lot of thought but Crain has not been part of my thinking. This will be a little long but stick with me.

I value what Beltran could mean as a mentor to Oscar Taveras next year so if the Cardinals keep Beltran then there is no room for Adams going forward. So, I am not in the camp that would not want to deny Adams a career as a starting 1B. I also think that Craig is a better 1B than an OFer so I orefer him to Adams going forward. It would be awfully hard to cash in on Adams but because the team is built again to win this year. If you are built to win, you should go for it.

Assuming that the White Sox share some of Peavy's salary, I would be willing to build a deal around Adams.

I am thinking out loud here but, maybe, this for Peavy and Crain:

Matt Adams

Anthony Garcia

Mark Rzepczynski

Fernando Salas

Low level pospect

If we are doing Ramirez as part of it, I add Kozma

The reason Salas and "Scrabble" , as Cardinal fans call him, are included is that I don't believe the White Sox are in 100%rebuild mode and getting two veteran but low cost relievers would be helpful going forward. Of course, you could design multiple trade scenarios and this is just one of an infinite number of them.

Please feel free to fire away.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)
Wow, that would not nearly be enough for Peavy. If you're trading with the A's, you need to get a few players like Gray, Straily, Choice, Russell.

Why no love for Nate Freiman? He made the jump straight from AA last year to the bigs this year and has preformed well in a backup role to Brandon Moss. His last 2 years in the minors he hit 20+ bombs and drove in over 100 runs.

Maybe I sold those packages short a bit so how does Freiman, Choice, and a another good prospect sound?

QUOTE (mike65 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
Well, I have given Peavy a lot of thought but Crain has not been part of my thinking. This will be a little long but stick with me.

I value what Beltran could mean as a mentor to Oscar Taveras next year so if the Cardinals keep Beltran then there is no room for Adams going forward. So, I am not in the camp that would not want to deny Adams a career as a starting 1B. I also think that Craig is a better 1B than an OFer so I orefer him to Adams going forward. It would be awfully hard to cash in on Adams but because the team is built again to win this year. If you are built to win, you should go for it.

Assuming that the White Sox share some of Peavy's salary, I would be willing to build a deal around Adams.

Matt Adams

Anthony Garcia

Mark Rzepczynski

Fernando Salas

Low level pospect

The reason Salas and "Scrabble" , as Cardinal fans call him, are included is that I don't believe the White Sox are in 100%rebuild mode and getting two veteran but low cost relievers would be helpful going forward. Of course, you could design multiple trade scenarios and this is just one of an infinite number of them.

We add Ramirez and all the Cards would add is Kozma?? Ehh.

Matt Adams

Anthony Garcia

Mark Rzepczynski

Fernando Salas

Low level pospect

I don't see that trade working because the Sox don't need pitching prospects. They need hitting prospects. In a package of Peavy and Crain, I would look at a trade involving Adams, Ramsey, Carson Kelly, and 2 lower level prospects

Matt Adams

Anthony Garcia

Mark Rzepczynski

Fernando Salas

Low level pospect

I like Adams and the two relievers are decent, but in this scenario, Garcia is going to be your low level prospect and at least one more prospect closer to the majors is going to have to come to the table. Essentially, by the end of next season, that deal could become Adams, Garcia, and low level prospect for one of the most valuable trade chips.

Kozma is a JAG, regardless of his defense. The Sox may as well go back to Tyler Greene, who you are all too familiar with. If Ramirez is included, you are adding another legitimately good player to the mix.

Really, if you want to talk about Peavy, Crain, AND Ramirez, the package is starting out with Adams, Martinez, and Wong, and more would be needed on top of that. If you want to get creative, Gillaspie and Freese can be swapped too.

The Cards are just a tough match for how many pieces that can add, but it's certainly possible.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)
I don't see that trade working because the Sox don't need pitching prospects. They need hitting prospects. In a package of Peavy and Crain, I would look at a trade involving Adams, Ramsey, Carson Kelly, and 2 lower level prospects

The WS would definitely not get Ramsay and Kelly and I kinda think that Kelly is untouchable. I could see Piscotty, maybe.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
I like Adams and the two relievers are decent, but in this scenario, Garcia is going to be your low level prospect and at least one more prospect closer to the majors is going to have to come to the table. Essentially, by the end of next season, that deal could become Adams, Garcia, and low level prospect for one of the most valuable trade chips.

Kozma is a JAG, regardless of his defense. The Sox may as well go back to Tyler Greene, who you are all too familiar with. If Ramirez is included, you are adding another legitimately good player to the mix.

Really, if you want to talk about Peavy, Crain, AND Ramirez, the package is starting out with Adams, Martinez, and Wong, and more would be needed on top of that. If you want to get creative, Gillaspie and Freese can be swapped too.

The Cards are just a tough match for how many pieces that can add, but it's certainly possible.

I totally agree that three WS pieces is too much for the Cardinals to cover. The OP asked me specifically about Peavy and Crain and I had never really given thought to him. I still think if there is a deal, it would be Peavy by himself or Peavy plus Ramirez. The latter is really tough also because that is a lot of salary to take on. I have difficulty believing that the Cardinals ownership would do that. One of them, yes; two, doubtful.

QUOTE (mike65 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 03:43 PM)
I totally agree that three WS pieces is too much for the Cardinals to cover. The OP asked me specifically about Peavy and Crain and I had never really given thought to him. I still think if there is a deal, it would be Peavy by himself or Peavy plus Ramirez. The latter is really tough also because that is a lot of salary to take on. I have difficulty believing that the Cardinals ownership would do that. One of them, yes; two, doubtful.

I tend to agree. Not sure why the Cards would even need Crain with their ability to pull relief pitching out of their ass.

Ramirez seems to be more the Cardinals type of move, and really, I see him ending up either in Pittsburgh or St. Louis. If Peavy is moved, I would consider Boston or Arizona the favorites, with Oakland as a dark horse. I think San Fran is getting to the point of being too far down and out to make that sort of move.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 6m

CWS have exchanged trade ideas/offers on Peavy, but teams say they are unsure about whether they want to keep him for '14. Price tag high.

Well that's a bit confusing.

Just makes me think even more this is leaked crap.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 04:48 PM)
I tend to agree. Not sure why the Cards would even need Crain with their ability to pull relief pitching out of their ass.

Ramirez seems to be more the Cardinals type of move, and really, I see him ending up either in Pittsburgh or St. Louis. If Peavy is moved, I would consider Boston or Arizona the favorites, with Oakland as a dark horse. I think San Fran is getting to the point of being too far down and out to make that sort of move.

The Cardinals have traded for setup men and had success before though, Dotel immediately comes to mind from their last W.S. run.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)

I think Rick is looking to find a SS elsewhere before he deals Ramirez.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
Well that's a bit confusing.

Just makes me think even more this is leaked crap.

That is confusing. And what you think is more leaked? That the price it to high or teams bluffing about being skeptical Peavy's contract?

Its funny how one day teams like having that extra year, and then the next day reports are that they don't want to be locked into keeping Peavy for another year. All this makes me believe that 75% of the stuff that these "reporters" report is either made up or from sources who shouldn't really be considered quotable sources.