2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 1, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
Hoffman's stat line so far this season: 0-1, 21.1 IP, 14 H, 8 R, 6 ER, 6 BBs, 26 Ks, 2.53 ERA, .182 BAA

Beede's stat line so far this season 3-0, 18 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 5 BBs, 24 Ks, 1.00 ERA, .085 BAA

Newcomb is a guy that could sneak up there 0-1 10.2 IP 6 H, 1 R, 0ER, 6 BBs, 15Ks, 0 ERA, .167 BAA

A fastball that will touch 97 mph along with a plus slider and average change could see Newcomb shoot up draft boards, though he will face inferior competition all spring, which will make it hard for scouts to get a great read on him. Kind of a Chris Sale profile, though a lite version.

Last season 5-4 72 IP, 53 H, 39 R, 30 ER, 37 BB, 92 K, 3.75 ERA 11.5 K/9 1.25 WHIP

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)
Watching this video -

His frame reminds me of a young version of former White Sox closer Bobby Jenks.

His delivery is kind of jerky? Too many potential red flags for my taste at #3 overall. Throwing gas will get you noticed in HS, but in the pros he's gotta have some great secondary stuff too.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
ESPN tidbits on Kolek:

"It's a deep group," an NL East scout said. "You've got guys like Tyler Kolek, who have the imposing size and fastball, but you wonder about the projection and if the secondary offerings are good enough to make him a legit ace.

Kolek was 92-98 in his outing against Lumberton HS, striking out 11 in six no-hit innings. His off-speed pitches were just average, but the impressive arm-strength that was on display at several events in August was clearly still there on Monday.

Kolek doesn’t offer much in terms of projection and some scouts worry about his already massive 6-foot-5, 250-pound frame, but a fastball that will touch triple-digits and a curve that will flash plus also has some scouts salivating.

Kolek is already massive at 6-foot-5 and roughly 250 pounds, but hit 100 mph last week with a better slider and curveball than he'd shown last summer.

The lack of secondary pitches kinda scares me, but these can be taught since he is only 18. I'd like to see him drop a few LBS

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)
His delivery is kind of jerky? Too many potential red flags for my taste at #3 overall. Throwing gas will get you noticed in HS, but in the pros he's gotta have some great secondary stuff too.

I think his delivery is fine. He has good trunk flexion and flexibility. One reason it looks a little funny is that he doesn't stride straight. His front foot lands too far closed than normal, so it looks like he is spinning a bit.

As for the weight, "Lady, I ain't no athlete i'm a baseball player." If the kid can throw he can throw. The development of the secondary pitches is the concern. It looks like he drops a little on the off speed stuff. If someone thinks he can be taught it, I'd take him.

I dont think we will like anyone by the time June gets here. ;)

No, we will like exactly two guys-the guys who go first and second, and then we will all complain about not pitching Axelrod more and Sale less in August and September so the Sox could get the 2nd pick instead of the 3rd.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 06:58 AM)
No, we will like exactly two guys-the guys who go first and second, and then we will all complain about not pitching Axelrod more and Sale less in August and September so the Sox could get the 2nd pick instead of the 3rd.

Ha!

Todays games of interest:

Carlos Rodon vs Notre Dame 2 pm CT

Jeff Hoffman vs Marshall (PPD) tomorrow at 11 am CT

Tyler Beede vs Winthrop 6:30 pm CT

Newcomb looks like he is not picthing this weekend in a three game series with East Tenn State, so maybe a red flag there.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
Todays games of interest:

Carlos Rodon vs Notre Dame 2 pm CT

Jeff Hoffman vs Marshall (PPD) tomorrow at 11 am CT

Tyler Beede vs Winthrop 6:30 pm CT

Newcomb looks like he is not picthing this weekend in a three game series with East Tenn State, so maybe a red flag there.

Rodon can be watched on ESPN3 today. It will be archived.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 09:42 PM)
I think his delivery is fine. He has good trunk flexion and flexibility. One reason it looks a little funny is that he doesn't stride straight. His front foot lands too far closed than normal, so it looks like he is spinning a bit.

As for the weight, "Lady, I ain't no athlete i'm a baseball player." If the kid can throw he can throw. The development of the secondary pitches is the concern. It looks like he drops a little on the off speed stuff. If someone thinks he can be taught it, I'd take him.

Good analysis. I am sure they have Coop watch all these kids on tape and get his input and would be involved in the interview process to determine if they can be taught. I trust their scouting of pitching. Hitting is a different story.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 8, 2014 -> 08:04 AM)
Beede real strong again last night vs. Winthrop: 7IP 6H 1ER 0BB 9K. Having a nice year. Our Guy?

Maybe so. Aaron Nola has been awesome early on as well. Nola wasn't really seen as a top 5 type guy prior to the year though.

Dan Kirby ‏@DanMKirby 11m

LSU has outscored their opponents 40-0 when Aaron Nola has started this year. In 4 starts: 27 IP, 0 ER, 13 H, 36 K/2 BB. #MLBDraft

J.P. ‏@Jaypers413 12h

Excellent start for TCU's Brandon Finnegan. 9 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 12 K.

On the year,

2.12 ERA, 29.2 innings, 21 hits and 45/6 K to BB.

My main reservation about Nola is the lack of dominant stuff. At No. 3, can you really take a middle-of-the-rotation guy even if he is a safe bet to reach his potential? Then again, Finnegan whom I really like, could end up a reliever.

Beede definitely looks to be the guy who has leaped into the conversation at No. 3 with Hoffman and Kolek.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 01:02 AM)
After thinking long and hard about the draft, Tyler Kolek has to be the pick at #3. The Sox really need to pair Sale with another legit stud in the rotation. (If Kolek is not there, I would take Alex Jackson)

Completely agree. #3 is not the place you make a "safer" pick. At #3, you need a star.