2014 Draft class

caulfield12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 29, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
Can we talk about the Sox having the 3rd pick now? Still too soon? I wanted to check with everyone before bringing it up again because of the thin skin around here.

WTF is this post? That's all we've BEEN talking about in here. Why wouldn't you talk about it?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 07:41 AM)
WTF is this post? That's all we've BEEN talking about in here. Why wouldn't you talk about it?

It was just in reference to past threads. A couple of posters wanted the team to lose more so that this pick could easily be obtained. Others believed that the thought process was crazy. People started arguing and 2 threads were closed relating to the topic. That's all I am saying. Just didn't want to get another thread shutdown.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 06:19 PM)
Was told Rick really likes Trea Turner. Sees him as a possible cornerstone pick. 4/5 tools are potential plus.

I'm not entirely sold on Trea just yet, but looking forward to seeing what he can do when healthy this coming season. 80 speed, good basestealing ability, and the ability to stay at SS is pretty substantial. The hit tool looks good too. He has a decent approach at the plate, and the power could show up more in the future.

Hmm. I might have just talked myself into Trea Turner. I think the last college SS the Sox drafted must have left me a bit leery.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 06:19 PM)
Was told Rick really likes Trea Turner. Sees him as a possible cornerstone pick. 4/5 tools are potential plus.

That is interesting. He'll be the age of Bryant coming up so he'll have to adjust quick. I don't know how I feel about him yet, have to watch him more.

Bucket, have you been told of other options at 3 and free agents/possible trades?

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 07:13 PM)
I'm not entirely sold on Trea just yet, but looking forward to seeing what he can do when healthy this coming season. 80 speed, good basestealing ability, and the ability to stay at SS is pretty substantial. The hit tool looks good too. He has a decent approach at the plate, and the power could show up more in the future.

Hmm. I might have just talked myself into Trea Turner. I think the last college SS the Sox drafted must have left me a bit leery.

That sounds like Manny Machado.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 10:41 PM)
Good, then they draft Manny Machado with Kenny Lofton like speed. It gets even better.

He'll go great with Matt Kemp and Ryan Howard, our selections in 2012

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)
I know there is still a long way to go here, but if you drafted today, would you take Turner or Gatewood?

I'm no expert or anything, but if it's only a choice between those two, I'd go Gatewood. More power, and upside. Could be a 3B long term.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:59 PM)
I'm no expert or anything, but if it's only a choice between those two, I'd go Gatewood. More power, and upside. Could be a 3B long term.

I would go the opposite, but definitely understand your opinion. I like Turner. He is a legit SS with excellent athleticism. Because he is such a good fielder with top-line speed, he at worst is a solid starting SS in the major leagues. If he hits like he has shown when healthy, he is a 6-8 WAR player annually -- maybe more.

My main reason with him over Gatewood is that you just can't miss having a pick so high. Gatewood might have 40 HR power, but he is far more likely to bust than Turner. Plus, there are many questions about his future position.

The one negative to Turner is that he sounds like Beckham (not skillset) but in that he is a guarantee to be a MLB starter for years to come and well Beckham has definitely been a bust.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)
I would go the opposite, but definitely understand your opinion. I like Turner. He is a legit SS with excellent athleticism. Because he is such a good fielder with top-line speed, he at worst is a solid starting SS in the major leagues. If he hits like he has shown when healthy, he is a 6-8 WAR player annually -- maybe more.

My main reason with him over Gatewood is that you just can't miss having a pick so high. Gatewood might have 40 HR power, but he is far more likely to bust than Turner. Plus, there are many questions about his future position.

The one negative to Turner is that he sounds like Beckham (not skillset) but in that he is a guarantee to be a MLB starter for years to come and well Beckham has definitely been a bust.

That's mostly my concern.

I'm just glad the Sox are at 3, and not 9 or 10, or 16.

They're going to get who they want after Rodon and the other guy. And hopefully in 7.5 months, it will be clear to them who they should draft.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)
I know there is still a long way to go here, but if you drafted today, would you take Turner or Gatewood?

I am drafting Gatewood, because he has the highest potential and ceiling out of any player in this draft class. He can be a true cornerstone player for the Sox and his bat could be something truly special. Plus, I can see him being a superstar player that will help bring fans back to the Cell

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 09:18 PM)
I am drafting Gatewood, because he has the highest potential and ceiling out of any player in this draft class. He can be a true cornerstone player for the Sox and his bat could be something truly special. Plus, I can see him being a superstar player that will help bring fans back to the Cell

Completely agree. My vote goes to Gatewood to take at 3. Him along with Hawkins figuring it out and Thompson keeps improving. This farm system won't be in the bottom 5 in the next few years.