2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 03:17 PM)
If they get a position player, I'd just like them to prioritize the hit tool. Worried some guy's power might not develop? Fine. If he has bat-to-ball skills, I'll gamble on the rest of his game. Would much rather that than gamble on speed turning a guy into a five-tooler.

I am totally with you there. The Sox need some guys that make contact first and then can develop other tools. They need some table setters for all of the power guys they have been going after. A lot will change with the draft board between now and June, but I think that is what the Sox need to spend the most resources in identifying.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I've said that I am hoping that they draft either Gatewood, Kolek or Jackson, but I am really warming to Braxton Davidson. He has an impact left bat and he can potentially be a monster in the middle of the order for years to come. People are saying that he is a lefty Paul Goldschimdt, thats not a bad comp at all.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 07:19 PM)
As of right now I hope kolek is our guy. Watched video of him and he's impressive to say the least! Wicked slider and a good curve ball when he has a feel for it.

I think I'd still be excited about it in June but man HS pitching that high scares the hell out of me.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 03:17 PM)
If they get a position player, I'd just like them to prioritize the hit tool. Worried some guy's power might not develop? Fine. If he has bat-to-ball skills, I'll gamble on the rest of his game. Would much rather that than gamble on speed turning a guy into a five-tooler.

I'd like to see them pick up Jeren Kendall in the second or third round.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 25, 2013 -> 11:35 AM)
I think I'd still be excited about it in June but man HS pitching that high scares the hell out of me.

I hear ya as it does me too but Kolek's big frame helps to set my mind at ease a bit. 6'6 245 is pretty solid, especially for an 18 year old. No guarantees but worth the pick at this point (IMO).

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 04:52 PM)
The White Sox have already started talking to 6 potential kids for their #3 pick.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...rticle_66102476

I don't get it. They should only be talking to 3 players. Whom they think will be #1, #2 and #3. It's impossible that one of those guys won't be available, and you know, best available and whatnot.

To even consider 3 other guys is a huge mistake. Best available, yada yada yada.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 05:47 PM)
I don't get it. They should only be talking to 3 players. Whom they think will be #1, #2 and #3. It's impossible that one of those guys won't be available, and you know, best available and whatnot.

To even consider 3 other guys is a huge mistake. Best available, yada yada yada.

They should be talking to anyone who has a reasonable shot of being the # 3 pick...not just for money reasons, but because there is an entire high school/college season beforehand during which some guys will very likely step up and say "draft me or you'll regret it".

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)

This is part of the process in determining who is number 1, 2 and 3 on the Big Board. Besides Rondon, there really is no other consensus top three players. Various rankings have various orders.

I know you're trying to make a point here but it makes no sense.

Can you promise me today who the top 3 guys will be come June?

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 21, 2013 -> 03:30 AM)
Trea Turner needs to have a great season, but not so great that he goes 2.

I'm still hoping for Hoffman. Wasn't Tim Anderson pretty much the equivalent to Turner last year? Not that Anderson is bad, but last time we took a pitcher in the 1st RD, it worked out okay. I love the idea of Sale-Quintana-Hoffman-Johnson in 2016.

They need to look at as many guys as possible. I have no problem with a "reach" either so long as it's the guy they really want.

First order of business in the next CBA should be the trading of draft picks. They did some nice work in the last CBA negotiations laying groundwork for it so hopefully that happens. If a team (like say the Sox next draft) saw a deep draft ahead and would rather trade the #3 and a player for a #10, #12 and a #60 or something along those lines, with the bonus pools coming in the trade, then that would be a great option to have. But since the Sox can't trade them I say take a large pool of players, try not to fall in love with any one guy, try to keep things as fluid as possible heading into the draft, and then take the guy who you think is BPA one week out.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 21, 2013 -> 11:35 AM)
First order of business in the next CBA should be the trading of draft picks. They did some nice work in the last CBA negotiations laying groundwork for it so hopefully that happens. If a team (like say the Sox next draft) saw a deep draft ahead and would rather trade the #3 and a player for a #10, #12 and a #60 or something along those lines, with the bonus pools coming in the trade, then that would be a great option to have.

That makes too much sense for mlb.

The only negative I can think of is hearing how great Theo is at trading for multiple picks.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 21, 2013 -> 12:35 PM)
They need to look at as many guys as possible. I have no problem with a "reach" either so long as it's the guy they really want.

First order of business in the next CBA should be the trading of draft picks. They did some nice work in the last CBA negotiations laying groundwork for it so hopefully that happens. If a team (like say the Sox next draft) saw a deep draft ahead and would rather trade the #3 and a player for a #10, #12 and a #60 or something along those lines, with the bonus pools coming in the trade, then that would be a great option to have. But since the Sox can't trade them I say take a large pool of players, try not to fall in love with any one guy, try to keep things as fluid as possible heading into the draft, and then take the guy who you think is BPA one week out.

With the new CBA, there is something to be said for a slight overdraft which gives you saves you draft cap room.