2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 02:12 AM)
Gatewood, Jackson, and Rodon are ones I am hoping for. For some reason I just don't want Tyler Beede to fall to #3.

He'll fall to 3 but I just don't see the Sox taking him there. I see Gatewood at 3 then some pitching after that.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)
He'll fall to 3 but I just don't see the Sox taking him there. I see Gatewood at 3 then some pitching after that.

I am really hoping that they draft Kel Johnson in the second round. He can be the 1B of the future, and he can really hit.

I would also like to see some left handed bats be added to the system as well.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
I am really hoping that they draft Kel Johnson in the second round. He can be the 1B of the future, and he can really hit.

I would also like to see some left handed bats be added to the system as well.

Remember about Keon Barnum. He was hit with the injury bug last season but started finished strong. He still has a good future in my opinion

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 01:19 PM)
It would be difficult to pass on Hoffman.

Sox don't need pitching right now. You can get pitching in the later rounds.

QUOTE (staxx @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 01:35 PM)
At this point id be shocked if we don't end up with either Hoffman/Gatewood/Turner

I would be perfectly fine with Gatewood or Turner preferably Gatewood. Get a top position prospect that can be a factor in the line up in 2-3 years.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
Sox don't need pitching right now. You can get pitching in the later rounds.

You don't draft for need. You take the BPA. If Hoffman is available at 3 and is clearly thought more highly of than Turner by the Front Office, he should be picked.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 12:15 AM)
Any insiders care to share THIS with the rest of us in a nice long post.

Top 5 picks listed are....

Rondon, Hoffman, Jackson, Gatewood, OF Braxston Davidson.

Jackson is the one I want, but the blurp says he is likely to end up in RF like Harper. Has elite bat speed and above-average power to all fields.

Trea Turner is #15, Beede is #18,

While I generally agree that it makes sense to pick the best player, how can management justify picking short stops with their number one picks, in two consecutive drafts? What would picking Turner, with the #3 pick, say about their choice of T. Anderson, in last year's draft? After all, they both appear to have pretty much the same skill sets. Anderson is currently ranked as their #3 prospect.

The other issue is how much of an asset a good fielding, speedster at short is, compared to a middle of the order hitter like Gatewood or Jackson could be. I'll take the middle of the order hitter. They are the ones who cost the most in trades and free agency.

My pick is Gatewood. He has the most upside, and just happens to be a perfect candidate to fill the organization's long term need for a third baseman.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 02:15 AM)

Jackson is the one I want, but the blurp says he is likely to end up in RF like Harper. Has elite bat speed and above-average power to all fields.

Trea Turner is #15, Beede is #18,

I'm big on Jackson too. He sounds very Wil Myers-eque. Especially with the move off C to OF.

I'm a big fan of Turner. Lots and lots of skills. Lots of things would have to go wrong for him not to be a decent player. Sky's the limit if most things go right.

Would be a huge challenge for player development, because this isn't just a raw toolsy guy. However, he will need some guidance (in all likelihood) to find his identity at the plate, especially as his body matures. He would be a guy that absolutely cannot post horrific numbers somewhere ala Hawkins, Mitchell

One of my favorite prospects in this draft class that has been getting some hype lately is Hawaiian prep arm Kodi Medeiros. Good fastball, shows 2 plus secondaries, but an unconventional arm slot. Hoping he's available in the second round but I wouldn't bet on it.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....rticleid=22115#

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/kodi-...owd-at-jupiter/

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 02:15 AM)

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 09:21 AM)
Rodon.

Sorry. Pet Peeve.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)
f***, I always do that, even though I usually correct it before posting.

Yes you do. :lol:

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 06:27 PM)
One of my favorite prospects in this draft class that has been getting some hype lately is Hawaiian prep arm Kodi Medeiros. Good fastball, shows 2 plus secondaries, but an unconventional arm slot. Hoping he's available in the second round but I wouldn't bet on it.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....rticleid=22115#

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/kodi-...owd-at-jupiter/

I saw him pitch in the amateur high school all-star game. He looked fantastic. He's got late 1st or comp pick written all over him though. If he's there in the 2nd, it's because he's asking for a lot of money, which the Sox should give him if they were able to get him.