Jesse Crain dealt to Tampa Bay

southsider2k5

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 07:07 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1mo

Big move by #Orioles: Acquire K-Rod from #Brewers for IF Nick Delmonico.

Expand

Send Peavy and Crain to Red Sox and make them overpay big time. This is huge because KRod went to the O's

Crain > K Rod.

With the season he was having, I think he still has lots of value. Reports I've read are that his shoulder is just "strained," not really structurally "injured" per se, which I assume could be verified in a physical. If so, teams should be willing to gamble he will bounce back with rest, given the way he was overused.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 11:00 AM)
Crain > K Rod.

With the season he was having, I think he still has lots of value. Reports I've read are that his shoulder is just "strained," not really structurally "injured" per se, which I assume could be verified in a physical. If so, teams should be willing to gamble he will bounce back with rest, given the way he was overused.

I think teams feel that K Rod's proven ability to handle the closer role increases his value. But when you take contracts into account, K Rod is owed about $1.5M more for the remainder of the season.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 11:00 AM)
Crain > K Rod.

I disagree. If I were trading for one, I think I would take K-Rod. He has had a great year as well. Tons of closing experience and he's played in plenty of postseason games. Crain has 4 career saves & 1.2 career postseason IP.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 11:56 AM)
I would have like Delmonico for Crain. He's the type of guy the ML team is gonna need in a year or two.

Orioles fans were not particularly pleased with this trade, but apparently the FO had concerns about his ability to stay healthy.

“@MDGonzales: Crain said "OK" was the best way to describe his shoulder. Will play catch Thursday. If all goes well, will throw off mound”

“@scottmerkin: Crain said he feels ok: Not great but not bad. He didn't throw today. Sked to go off the mound Thursday but not certain”

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 11:48 AM)
That's what I thought too. Floyd being out for the season, Crain will likely be a waiver deal in August, lots have gone wrong this season. So disappointing.

I would be surprised if we are able to deal him in August

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 11:55 AM)
Why wouldn't we be able too? No chance he clears waivers.

Right, but lots of teams would be happy to claim him. The Royals can decide they don't want the Tigers to get better, claim him, and then we're f***ed. No trade.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 11:55 AM)
Why wouldn't we be able too? No chance he clears waivers.

That's why he won't be dealt. When he's claimed on waivers, you can make a deal with that team, let him go, or pull him back, and the odds are good the claiming team will not make a deal for him. He'll have to clear waivers, something he won't do.