Pirates looking at Rios and Alexei

justBLAZE

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 05:43 PM)
There would have to be significant $$ going to PITT and I'm not sure Rick would do that right now.

Considerations is a bigtime debate in the offices...almost more than target players right now.

I really hope that significant money being sent over is in consideration if it sweetens the return to a large degree. The Sox desperately need to strengthen the farm

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 05:49 PM)
I really hope that significant money being sent over is in consideration if it sweetens the return to a large degree. The Sox desperately need to strengthen the farm

But paying $10 million for an upgrade to a B prospect doesn't make sense. The player probably won't perform as well as the guys you gave up, and you are still out significant money.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 05:43 PM)
There would have to be significant $$ going to PITT and I'm not sure Rick would do that right now.

Considerations is a bigtime debate in the offices...almost more than target players right now.

I hope that doesn't mean that they are in salary cutting mode.

The deal I saw had Rios and Alexei going for some somewhat youngish Pirate bench players - numbers looked like those thrown up by Viciedo and Flowers, with a moderate upgrade over Dylan Axelrod.

I'd much rather A and A ball players with some upside but more risk.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
Sox have been VERY active, but are playing the market patiently.

Good - contenders aren't going to all have their needs met, our injuries will hopefully mend, and prices should be driven upwards as supply limitations continue to unfold.

This is one two week period that will really show us a difference between Kenny and Rick.

With Williams ultra aggressive style, he didn't have many opportunities to display leverage tactics.

Hanh on the other hand is known to have high negotiation skills.

Bring it...

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 03:53 PM)
That article said they both combined are worth $4 million. That's scary bad in this economy. That's Francouer-like. I don't mind having Alexei on the Sox. I'd dump Rios for whatever we can get and force the future to begin in right field.

$4M surplus value, not what they're worth.

So with the stunt Rios pulled tonight? How much does this affect his trade value?

Optimistic, he's still a very good player. And honestly, we know a lot of hitters dog it to first.

Pessimistic, Hahn will get low ball offers still, we'll be with him for another season.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 10:30 PM)
So with the stunt Rios pulled tonight? How much does this affect his trade value?

Optimistic, he's still a very good player. And honestly, we know a lot of hitters dog it to first.

Pessimistic, Hahn will get low ball offers still, we'll be with him for another season.

It certainly didn't help his value, and I don't mean the benching, I mean the loafing, but he is one guy where the reports are the offers are weak, so for them to improve, he is going to have to be really good the next 10 days. Maybe he realizes he let his teammates down tonight with his lack of effort and comes out tomorrow on fire.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 11:05 PM)
It certainly didn't help his value, and I don't mean the benching, I mean the loafing, but he is one guy where the reports are the offers are weak, so for them to improve, he is going to have to be really good the next 10 days. Maybe he realizes he let his teammates down tonight with his lack of effort and comes out tomorrow on fire.

I really hope so. And a Peavy domination.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 06:24 PM)
Good - contenders aren't going to all have their needs met, our injuries will hopefully mend, and prices should be driven upwards as supply limitations continue to unfold.

This is one two week period that will really show us a difference between Kenny and Rick.

With Williams ultra aggressive style, he didn't have many opportunities to display leverage tactics.

Hanh on the other hand is known to have high negotiation skills.

Bring it...

Well we always had a legitimate shot at the playoffs under Williams except for what, 1 year? And he retooled nicely and stocked the farm. What is the evidence that Hahn is a great negotiator; Keppinger on 3 years?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 11:39 PM)
Would you accept Glasnow and Kingham for Rios? Forget the 2 weird shortstops for a minute.

If I were the GM no. While the value is there IMO the Sox need to get a bat back in return. 2 SPs, with all the depth we have at SP is overkill to me. Glasnow and Dickerson or Bell would be something I'd accept.

*waits for "you can never have too much starting pitching" comments*

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 09:15 PM)
Well we always had a legitimate shot at the playoffs under Williams except for what, 1 year? And he retooled nicely and stocked the farm. What is the evidence that Hahn is a great negotiator; Keppinger on 3 years?

Williams dealings mainly involved trading the farm.

It worked to an extent but times have changed. The table is flipped, it's a whole new ball game when it becomes retooling.

I don't think stating Williams retooled and restocked the system is correct.

Regarding Hanh and his negotiation skills, he has always been responsible for contract talks.

You can point to Keppinger but then again, you could also point to Sale.

Over time, I've been impressed with Hanh in his dealings with this regard.

We'll see how this translates when dealing for prospects.

In all seriousness - we never saw Williams in this capacity.

90% of Soxtalk would likely attest to that. ( I think... Let's see since there's not much to talk about at the moment. )

Edit:

Yep, most disagree with your point of view regarding Kenny retooling our farm system:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89496

Don't take this as an attack Jenks... I'm just extremely board and having intermittent insomnia :)

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 05:17 AM)
If I were the GM no. While the value is there IMO the Sox need to get a bat back in return. 2 SPs, with all the depth we have at SP is overkill to me. Glasnow and Dickerson or Bell would be something I'd accept.

*waits for "you can never have too much starting pitching" comments*

Those two pitchers would be great value for Rios. The Sox need talent and should take it where they can get it. With Crain and Peavy, they could then target position players. With the Pirates, at least, their prospect strength is in pitching. Hanson or Polanco would be nice but probably not available for Rios.

I think the return for Rios will ultimately be underwhelming therefore I think the Sox should seriously consider dealing Reed as a way to improve the overall talent haul they get back at the deadline. Guys I would like to see gone:

Crain

Lindstrom

Peavy

Rios

Ramirez

Dunn

De Aza

Reed

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 11:15 AM)
I think the return for Rios will ultimately be underwhelming therefore I think the Sox should seriously consider dealing Reed as a way to improve the overall talent haul they get back at the deadline. Guys I would like to see gone:

Crain

Lindstrom

Peavy

Rios

Ramirez

Dunn

De Aza

Reed

Agreed with everyone except Reed and De Aza.

Reed is controlled for 4-5 more years.

De Aza is extremely cheap and so far has been pretty good at the plate this year.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 11:25 AM)
Agreed with everyone except Reed and De Aza.

Reed is controlled for 4-5 more years.

De Aza is extremely cheap and so far has been pretty good at the plate this year.

I think De Aza will fetch something good in return probably better than Rios. As far as Reed goes, I don't care about controllable years for a reliever, but that is what probably will add to his value. If they can get a better return for Reed than Crain they should do it.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
I think De Aza will fetch something good in return probably better than Rios. As far as Reed goes, I don't care about controllable years for a reliever, but that is what probably will add to his value. If they can get a better return for Reed than Crain they should do it.

You'd think De Aza, being so inexpensive, could fetch something very nice. We sure aren't hearing about anything to that effect, though.