Chris Sale

Tannerfan

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
I didn't have a problem with it, except that he was using his left hand. C'mon man, use a bat or something.

I think you're more likely to damage your wrist, arm, or shoulder using a bat compared to using your fist like he did. He's just more likely break his hand punching with it.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 04:07 AM)
He's more Jake Peavy than Carlos Zambrano.

You beat me to it. The other day I watched the TV game as Jake took down some team out West in a complete game effort. The announcers were saying that Jake gave his manager a "look" after the 8th and the manager left him be and he finished the game. Harnessing your emotions to ramp up your competiveness is all Chris needs to learn

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 11:45 AM)
You beat me to it. The other day I watched the TV game as Jake took down some team out West in a complete game effort. The announcers were saying that Jake gave his manager a "look" after the 8th and the manager left him be and he finished the game. Harnessing your emotions to ramp up your competiveness is all Chris needs to learn

Good for Jake that it worked out. With the Sox, it seemed like he would give the "look", go back out on the mound and get hit hard.

For everyone saying how stupid it was that he could have hurt his hand, I'm sure he knows that. His emotions got to him and he lost it. It's obvious he wasn't thinking clearly, but I love the emotion. This is no big deal as long as it doesn't continue to happen which I don't think it will. It's fortunate that he didn't hurt his hand. Time to move on.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 04:50 PM)
Good for Jake that it worked out. With the Sox, it seemed like he would give the "look", go back out on the mound and get hit hard.

I think I got in fights on the board saying Peavy "refused to come out." People would get mad but it's tough for a manager to take out a bulldog who has a history of being a stud pitcher, I'd think. If you leave him in a few times and he gets rocked it gives the manager some leverage in future similar situations, but that doesn't help the team much. Overall I like the quality in Peavy/Sale, though. Like one of the posters said, shows they care.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 06:06 PM)
For everyone saying how stupid it was that he could have hurt his hand, I'm sure he knows that. His emotions got to him and he lost it. It's obvious he wasn't thinking clearly, but I love the emotion. This is no big deal as long as it doesn't continue to happen which I don't think it will. It's fortunate that he didn't hurt his hand. Time to move on.

Well said. We're just worried he was banging that left hand.

I'm really not that concerned about him punching the cooler. The likely worst case scenario in that situation is a deep bruise, and likely it's just going to be scraped or sore.

Have you guys ever punched a cooler? Or accidentally fallen on one? It's incredibly soft plastic. If he were punching the bench or the wall I would be much, much more worried about this.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
I'm really not that concerned about him punching the cooler. The likely worst case scenario in that situation is a deep bruise, and likely it's just going to be scraped or sore.

Have you guys ever punched a cooler? Or accidentally fallen on one? It's incredibly soft plastic. If he were punching the bench or the wall I would be much, much more worried about this.

Seriously, it's like half the people in this thread have never played sports (I know that's false).

Especially if you feel like you're letting your team down, punching a cooler is up there with some of the safest ways I can imagine to vent anger.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
Seriously, it's like half the people in this thread have never played sports (I know that's false).

Especially if you feel like you're letting your team down, punching a cooler is up there with some of the safest ways I can imagine to vent anger.

It's not to say I like it or am glad to see him act this way...I like emotion in players, but this is still over the top.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 02:10 PM)
It's not to say I like it or am glad to see him act this way...I like emotion in players, but this is still over the top.

Oh, it's over the top.

It's just there are A) Way worse things he could do B) Everyone gets frustrated from time to time, as long as it's not common.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 02:13 PM)
Oh, it's over the top.

It's just there are A) Way worse things he could do B) Everyone gets frustrated from time to time, as long as it's not common.

He's not punching a bat (or, errherm, a locker) like Quentin did, which essentially killed the Sox chances of winning the division in 2008. Thankfully the Twins choked hard.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 08:56 AM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 18m

chris sale (10-12) now leads AL pitchers w/ 6.3 bWAR. will be interesting if #killthewin folks trumpet sale for Cy Young

Scherzer leads the AL with 5.6 fWAR.

Fun stuff here...Tigers pitcher's fWAR in descending order

Scherzer - 5.6

Sanchez - 4.9

Fister - 3.9

Verlander - 3.7

You think Leyland has the balls to use Verlander as his #4 starter this postseason?

EDIT: BTW, Sale's fWAR is 4.4 and is 6th behind Scherzer, Hernandez, Sanchez, Holland, and Darvish.

Edited by witesoxfan