Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Eminor3rd

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:51 PM)
What is this, West Side Story? If you don't want Gomez to prance around, then don't let him hit home runs off you. Guarding home plate from a guy who just hit a home run is what Ham Porter would do in the Sandlot. This is MLB, that's ridiculous.

This.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:51 PM)
What is this, West Side Story? If you don't want Gomez to prance around, then don't let him hit home runs off you. Guarding home plate from a guy who just hit a home run is what Ham Porter would do in the Sandlot. This is MLB, that's ridiculous.

Again, watch the clip. It's not prancing that made everyone mad. He was yelling what we can assume to be insults at everyone on the diamond, lol.

Maybe McCann is a jerk and Gomez was justified. I'm just saying you can't literally yell insults at the opposing team all the way around the bases and then be surprised when the last guy you run past is confronting you at the end. I just think we can't judge McCann on that one incident.

EDIT: I also don't think him being in front of the plate meant much of anything. He could have been a step past the plate and had the same effect. I didn't see it as him "blocking" the plate so much as moving into his path so he could end up all up in his face.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)
Again, watch the clip. It's not prancing that made everyone mad. He was yelling what we can assume to be insults at everyone on the diamond, lol.

Maybe McCann is a jerk and Gomez was justified. I'm just saying you can't literally yell insults at the opposing team all the way around the bases and then be surprised when the last guy you run past is confronting you at the end. I just think we can't judge McCann on that one incident.

EDIT: I also don't think him being in front of the plate meant much of anything. He could have been a step past the plate and had the same effect. I didn't see it as him "blocking" the plate so much as moving into his path so he could end up all up in his face.

The Braves do have other instances of this, so that plays in a part in my thinking, and they are about 20 games better in the standings. There are other ways to get back at a player in baseball too.

I think I wouldn't be as bothered if he got in his face after he touched home plate, as simple as that sounds. The whole "I won't let you touch home plate becase you called us names" is childish and silly. (And so was Gomez too, but no need to act the same way). McCann knew exactly what he was doing when stepped in the baseline, that was not an accident.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 09:26 PM)
And McCann is a great fit for them

They will be practically minting money if they win another World Series

You can also see them taking a run at Masahiro Tanaka as well...with two Japanese pitchers already on their roster.

Of course, the Dice-K Experience might be enough to force them to shy away.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 10:44 PM)
They will be practically minting money if they win another World Series

You can also see them taking a run at Masahiro Tanaka as well...with two Japanese pitchers already on their roster.

Of course, the Dice-K Experience might be enough to force them to shy away.

They are minting money now. I don't think winning another WS would have the financial impact it would have on other teams. There aren't many more tickets they can sell. They really can't increase the price all that much either.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)
They are minting money now. I don't think winning another WS would have the financial impact it would have on other teams. There aren't many more tickets they can sell. They really can't increase the price all that much either.

They will probably see a boost in ticket sales next year. This year they fell from 100% to 94% capacity. They cut their payroll by 30 million going into this year so they already made of for some of the lost ticket revenue. My guess is they shed Ellsbury and Drew next year for the 2 heralded rookies but they take on Peavy.