Hitting Coach Speculation

knightni

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)
Would the Sox consider Frank Thomas as the hitting coach?

He has the Walt Hriniak history and seems to have a lot of experience to share.

Maybe on the back of signing Abreu, Konerko will retire from playing and become the new hitting coach

QUOTE (glangon @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 07:46 AM)
Maybe on the back of signing Abreu, Konerko will retire from playing and become the new hitting coach

You must not ever hear Konerko speak. There's zero chance he'll immediately coach/manage after he's done playing.

Frank Thomas is a name, but I don't know if he can coach. And I doubt Kenny Williams wants to go there even if they buried the hatchet.

Plus Hahn already said they're going to hire a guy with experience.

Rudy Jaramillo maybe.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 07:52 AM)
You must not ever hear Konerko speak. There's zero chance he'll immediately coach/manage after he's done playing.

Frank Thomas is a name, but I don't know if he can coach. And I doubt Kenny Williams wants to go there even if they buried the hatchet.

Plus Hahn already said they're going to hire a guy with experience.

Rudy Jaramillo maybe.

Someone asked Hahn about Thome yesterday and Hahn reiterated the next hitting coach is going to be a guy who is experienced, and a guy whose philosophy will not just be prevelant at the major league level, but throughout the system.

Rudy Jaramillo makes the most sense.

Also, reminder that we can bring in a second hitting coach under the new rules. I want the primary guy being the guy, but would not mind seeing someone like Frank to help a specific player (Tank) or Omar Vizquel under the guise of a hitting coach to help Alexei's focus.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)
Rudy Jaramillo makes the most sense.

Also, reminder that we can bring in a second hitting coach under the new rules. I want the primary guy being the guy, but would not mind seeing someone like Frank to help a specific player (Tank) or Omar Vizquel under the guise of a hitting coach to help Alexei's focus.

Isn't Baines keeping his job as the second hitting coach? Players can work with anybody on the side that they want with team approval. Frank worked with Hrniak many different times after the team let him go.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:23 PM)
Would the Sox consider Frank Thomas as the hitting coach?

He has the Walt Hriniak history and seems to have a lot of experience to share.

The Walt Hriniak approach is pretty good in my opinion. Make it the Frank Thomas approach in 2014 and we are gold

I'm gonna throw a name out there....Rick Eckstein.

He was the Nats hitting coach when Dunn was there and put up his best back to back seasons. He was also the hitting coach for team USA back in 08 so I assume he's highly regarded.

The Nats manager choked up when he got fired saying, "I've experienced a lot of things in my career -- I've been traded, I've been released, I've been sold, I've been fired. But today is arguably the toughest day I've had in baseball," said Johnson, his voice cracking with emotion. "I respect Rick Eckstein. I think he's a great coach, one of the best hitting instructors in baseball. And he's just a great gentleman. So it hurts.".

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 08:56 PM)
I'm gonna throw a name out there....Rick Eckstein.

He was the Nats hitting coach when Dunn was there and put up his best back to back seasons. He was also the hitting coach for team USA back in 08 so I assume he's highly regarded.

The Nats manager choked up when he got fired saying, "I've experienced a lot of things in my career -- I've been traded, I've been released, I've been sold, I've been fired. But today is arguably the toughest day I've had in baseball," said Johnson, his voice cracking with emotion. "I respect Rick Eckstein. I think he's a great coach, one of the best hitting instructors in baseball. And he's just a great gentleman. So it hurts.".

As long as it's not David Eckstein!

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
Speculation over, Merkin from MLB.COM says they have hired Todd Stevenson from the A's organization. Don't know much about this guy. Anyone care to comment? What can he offer to get our OBP and RISP better?

Link: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cws/white-...p;vkey=news_cws

There's a pinned thread up there ^^^