Chase Headley - Sox Potential Fit

knightni

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 04:09 PM)
I would be interested if he had more than 1 year left on his contract. It would be foolish to trade young talent for such a player.

What young players do the Sox have that really would be foolish to get rid of? Headley still put up an OBP not seen on the White Sox even in an injury plagued year. I would see if he would be interested in an extension. If the answer is no, his price tag went down a bit. If yes, by all means, see if you can get him. The White Sox aren't exactly loaded with studs in the minor leagues.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 04:48 PM)
He wasn't too bad at LF if I remember correctly. They just needed Gordon to go there. And he's played 3rd in college/high school.

Zack Greinke played Shortstop in high school, do you think he's an option there 10 years later in the big leagues?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 05:01 PM)
Zack Greinke played Shortstop in high school, do you think he's an option there 10 years later in the big leagues?

No, but Butler player third base in college, and with our defense, he could definitely be an option there. Same goes for LF if we trade De Aza, move Avi to center and Dayan to right.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 05:03 PM)
No, but Butler player third base in college, and with our defense, he could definitely be an option there. Same goes for LF if we trade De Aza, move Avi to center and Dayan to right.

What makes you think he can do that now? Butler probably weighed 50 less pounds in college. He's older, fatter, and hasn't practiced there in YEARS. He's not even a good first baseman.

Plus, there's a big difference between being good enough to handle a position at the collegiate level and being able to handle it at the big league level.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 10:08 PM)
This is now a Chase Headley thread not a rumor catch all.

Doing God's work. Catch-alls are the worst, particularly during the offseason

On Headley, I don't think the ten mil or so should be a major deal for us to help us plug a huge hole. We do have money to blow, pay for every cent. But yeah since it's only for a year, I dont want us giving up anything of note. And that probably means a deal isn't happening.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 06:16 PM)
Doing God's work. Catch-alls are the worst, particularly during the offseason

On Headley, I don't think the ten mil or so should be a major deal for us to help us plug a huge hole. We do have money to blow, pay for every cent. But yeah since it's only for a year, I dont want us giving up anything of note. And that probably means a deal isn't happening.

Catch-alls suck when it comes to rumors, but I would love an offseason tradewinds subforum.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 02:00 PM)
I wouldn't give up scraps for him. He's a highly paid, small upgrade on what we currently have at 3b and he's a free agent at the end of the year. That's the exact opposite of what the White Sox should target in trades if they give away anything of value.

How is he a small upgrade? Even in a down year compared to 2012 he still posted a 3.6 WAR, which would make him a top 8 3B from what I can tell. You must have a lot higher hopes for a Gillaspinger platoon than I do. While I think they might be serviceable, Headley would be a huge improvement, even if 2012 proves to be a outlier.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 10:05 PM)
I don't think he is capable of hitting clean up. The Sox are probably targeting a left handed clean up hitter.

If they acquired Headley, that still leaves a hole at that spot in the lineup.

You don't get extra points for having a prototypical lineup. An upgrade is an upgrade. However much better a new player is than the incumbent, that's how much better your team gets.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 10:41 PM)
You don't get extra points for having a prototypical lineup. An upgrade is an upgrade. However much better a new player is than the incumbent, that's how much better your team gets.

I don't agree with this at all. A well constructed offense can produce more than the sum of the individual parts. For example, a guy like Adam Dunn is going to be a lot more valuable to the Sox if there are people on-base when he hits his home-runs. Does adding a high OBP leadoff guy improve Dunn's WAR? No, but it can make him more productive. I'm not accusing you of this, but WAR is never going to be the be-all-end-all. At the end of the day, baseball is still a team sport and WAR will never be able to account for everything. Not all upgrades in terms of WAR are necessarily equal.