Hahn says trade talks have heated up.

dayan024

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 01:02 AM)
even after Rangers trading Kinsler?? Seems odd that they would trade him but would love to have him

I think it makes sense to move him -- Profar is a SS and their top prospect is a 2B named Rougned Odor. Andrus has a big contract and has been worse the past couple years.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
I think it makes sense to move him -- Profar is a SS and their top prospect is a 2B named Rougned Odor. Andrus has a big contract and has been worse the past couple years.

The speculation is that they are open to moving Profar or Andrus and are considering a run at Cano.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 09:08 AM)
Good for Rick Hahn. Unless he absolutely needed to move Alexei, he shouldn't have a low price tag on him. Why should the Sox be in the business of helping the Cardinals?

Bernie is our best writer and usually calls it like he sees it. I think his shot at Hahn was Bernie being Bernie with his reference point being the rumor that Hahn asked for Martinez back in July when Ramirez was being discussed. Unless I am interpreting incorrectly, most of the posters here don't even see Ramirerz being worth Martinez.

Remember, we are in the silly season!

QUOTE (mike65 @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 10:04 AM)
Bernie is our best writer and usually calls it like he sees it. I think his shot at Hahn was Bernie being Bernie with his reference point being the rumor that Hahn asked for Martinez back in July when Ramirez was being discussed. Unless I am interpreting incorrectly, most of the posters here don't even see Ramirerz being worth Martinez.

I think there are more questions about Martinez now than there were in July. There were grumblings that he may not be able to start in the majors given his pitch repertoire, but now the grumblings are amplified. If you see Martinez as a starter he is worth more than Ramirez, if not, than the value is about equal.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
The speculation is that they are open to moving Profar or Andrus and are considering a run at Cano.

Yeah, I;ve heard that, but I sort of doubt it. They JUST took on like $76m for Prince Fielder and have always been linked to Price. I can see them using the Cano money to extend Price and finding a shorter term solution at 2B to bridge to Odor.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 10:08 AM)
I think there are more questions about Martinez now than there were in July. There were grumblings that he may not be able to start in the majors given his pitch repertoire, but now the grumblings are amplified. If you see Martinez as a starter he is worth more than Ramirez, if not, than the value is about equal.

There's just no way I could take a reliever straight up for Ramirez. That's silly. Martinez is a worthy gamble for Ramirez because of the possibility that he can start with the reliever option as a nice fall back. If he is viewed strictly as a reliever, no matter how electric he is, there's no way I can move Alexei straight up for him.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
Yeah, I;ve heard that, but I sort of doubt it. They JUST took on like $76m for Prince Fielder and have always been linked to Price. I can see them using the Cano money to extend Price and finding a shorter term solution at 2B to bridge to Odor.

I hear Gordon Beckham is available.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)

I don't buy them being in on Cano really either, but they are definitely in win now mode. IF they can move Profar, Odor, and a spect for an OF bat like Stanton or Brown, they will be pretty stacked.

The Rangers new TV contract starts in 2015, which will give them $80M/year plus the $25M/year they will get from the new MLB contract. So they are sitting in a pretty good position to spend.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 12:26 PM)
Do the Rangers have any package of players that could get the Sox thinking on Chris Sale?

If you really believe in their prospects, yes.

It'd have to be something wild like Profar/Ross/Alfaro/Gallo/Jackson and some lower level guys.

But the way Hahn has been talking, it's not gonna happen.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 10:26 AM)
Do the Rangers have any package of players that could get the Sox thinking on Chris Sale?

Not in my opinion. Only teams I could see a trade with would be the Pirates, Cubs, and Cardinals.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)

Sale has probably crossed into the Jerry Reinsdorf Circle of Loyalty anyway. But if the Sox could get a good starting pitching prospect, plus a few other players---and also thought there was a premium starting pitcher they could get at #3 next June, I wouldn't be against it. On the other hand, once you have an ace locked up on good contract, it would be very hard to say goodbye.

QUOTE (mike65 @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 10:04 AM)

Value is subjective, and the White Sox don't need to move Alexei unless the price is ridiculous. Guess what, the price is ridiculous. You would think a baseball columnist would get that.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
Sale has probably crossed into the Jerry Reinsdorf Circle of Loyalty anyway. But if the Sox could get a good starting pitching prospect, plus a few other players---and also thought there was a premium starting pitcher they could get at #3 next June, I wouldn't be against it. On the other hand, once you have an ace locked up on good contract, it would be very hard to say goodbye.

If there is another Chris Sale at #3, you draft them and pair them together at the top of the rotation.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
The Sox would absolutely "get thinking" on anything including Profar and additional prospects.

Edited my above post....something wild like Profar, long term SS..Robbie Ross who can be the long term LH setup man... Jorge Alfaro, potential long term catcher in a year or 2...Joey Gallo, LH 3B, Adam Dunn type offensively(I believe you can win with 1 or 2 of those types in your lineup).... and Luke Jackson who looks to be, at the very least, a middle of the rotation starter.

If they were rebuilding, that's a move I'd have to think about. However all signs point to them simple "re-tooling" and trading Sale in that scenario would be silly.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 10:45 AM)
The Sox would absolutely "get thinking" on anything including Profar and additional prospects.

I really dont see Profar being as good as people think he is going to be, but that is just me. Gallo strikes me as Mark Reynolds 2.0. Alfaro and Odor are interesting prospects, but not enough to take Sale away. The only way a team is going to pry Sale away is with a future allstar position player and a pitcher that has #2 upside to me.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 11:15 AM)
I really dont see Profar being as good as people think he is going to be, but that is just me. Gallo strikes me as Mark Reynolds 2.0. Alfaro and Odor are interesting prospects, but not enough to take Sale away. The only way a team is going to pry Sale away is with a future allstar position player and a pitcher that has #2 upside to me.

I think if they put together of Martin Perez, Luke Jackson, Odor, Alfaro, and Sardinas, they would be pretty close to making a deal happen.

Per Rotoworld:

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Cardinals have acquired Peter Bourjos from the Angels in exchange for David Freese.

There will also be prospects changing hands in the deal, with Randal Grichuk being the rumored piece the Cards will receive. Bourjos sports a .251/.306/.398 career batting line and missed much of 2013 due to injury, but he's an elite defensive center fielder and has flashed promise with the bat in the past. He figures to get plenty of playing time in center field in 2014. Freese is coming off a very disappointing 2013 season but was an All-Star in 2012, when he hit .293/.372/.467 with 20 homers.

QUOTE (SoIL @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
Per Rotoworld:

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Cardinals have acquired Peter Bourjos from the Angels in exchange for David Freese.

There will also be prospects changing hands in the deal, with Randal Grichuk being the rumored piece the Cards will receive. Bourjos sports a .251/.306/.398 career batting line and missed much of 2013 due to injury, but he's an elite defensive center fielder and has flashed promise with the bat in the past. He figures to get plenty of playing time in center field in 2014. Freese is coming off a very disappointing 2013 season but was an All-Star in 2012, when he hit .293/.372/.467 with 20 homers.

Well those two can be scratched off of the list...

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)

It'd have to be something wild like Profar/Ross/Alfaro/Gallo/Jackson and some lower level guys.

I would drive Sale to the airport myself if we got back the #1 prospect in baseball, a legit catching prospect, an excellent RH reliever with ML experience, a good SP prospect AND someone with the upside of Gallo.