Hahn says trade talks have heated up.

dayan024

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello. I was last here around the trade deadline because I thought the Cardinals had interest in Ramirez. Back then, everybody was talking about Adams and Martinez as the possible trade chips.

Now, with that pressure off, I am assuming the Cardinals still have interest.

I read the other day that the four teams the Cardinals are speaking to regarding a trade are the Diamondbacks, Angels, Rangers, and White Sox. I don't believe the Cardinals will go the free agent route. Peralta doesn't fit the "Cardinal way" and Drew's being LH is a problem for the Cadinals because our GM has already said he doesn't want to go anymore left than the team is right now (Adams, Taveras, Carpenter, and Jay).

What do you guys think the cost would be these days as compared to July?

QUOTE (mike65 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 08:43 AM)
Hello. I was last here around the trade deadline because I thought the Cardinals had interest in Ramirez. Back then, everybody was talking about Adams and Martinez as the possible trade chips.

I read the other day that the four teams the Cardinals are speaking to regarding a trade are the Diamondbacks, Angels, Rangers, and White Sox. I don't believe the Cardinals will go the free agent route. Peralta doesn't fit the "Cardinal way" and Drew's being LH is a problem for the Cadinals because our GM has already said he doesn't want to go anymore left than the team is right now (Adams, Taveras, Carpenter, and Jay).

Wong or Martinez

QUOTE (mike65 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 06:43 AM)

Welcome back, Mike!

I will say this, I don't think Martinez is getting dealt for any of the pieces that have been previously discussed...I think his stock has risen significantly as a result of his Postseason performance. The same obviously goes for Wacha Wacha.

Ultimately, the question probably depends entirely on how Rick Hahn feels about Alexei Ramirez, to which I don't think anyone really knows for sure. I would speculate that he is someone that Rick would like to keep around unless he feels like he gets one really important piece for us moving forward. That probably means a prospect they really like at a position of need, which is most likely 3b, C, or CF. Of course SP is always in demand, and might be something that gets discussed, but those other needs probably are higher up on his list.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 12:36 AM)
That's just silly talk. The Sox have made deals that have been rumored quite often in the past. This would be no different.

That's a silly thought too. He's really one of the likeliest pieces to be moved. It doesn't mean he will be dealt, but I think odds favor him going.

I think Santiago might be at the top of the possibilities. The guys above him (Sale and Q) are pretty much promised to be here. The guys below him don't have as much value to other teams. The Sox have pitching they can move, and if they can get a real 3B or C for Santiago, you almost have to do it.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)
I expect Keppinger, Santiago, Reed, and Ramirez will be dealt. It makes no sense to move Viciedo now as his value is as low as its ever been. Beckham and Semien can battle for 2B and the other will fill the UT role that Keppinger has. Ramirez value will go up after Drew signs.

The absolute, 100% worst thing you do with Marcus Semien is use him in a utility role. If he is a utility player coming out of Spring Training, I would personally consider driving to Chicago to request that Rick Hahn and Robin Ventura take a urinary analysis, because they would need to be high as s*** to keep Semien on the bench at the MLB level

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (mike65 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 09:43 AM)

Can you provide any insight on the Cardinals 2nd tier of prospects? I was looking at guys like Ryan Jackson and Stephen Piscotty. Something like that make more sense for Ramirez on both sides? Any catching prospects worth a darn in the farm? Thanks.

QUOTE (mike65 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 09:43 AM)

I would like to see a trade of Ramirez and Jon Jay being the principals. I'd assume the Jays wold let Jay go with their top 5 CF propsect(name escapes me right now) waiting to take over. Tavares?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 08:57 AM)
Is Wong better than Semien?

When I read about Alexei going to Cards, I keep thinking that Cards will try sending us Kozma in return, plus a second rate prospect.

Is Semien definitely going to play 2B even? I dont think having two guys that have showed good plate discipline and solid OBPs in the minors in the fold would be a bad thing. As for the Kozma and prospect package, no thanks.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
The absolute, 100% worst thing you do with Marcus Semien is use him in a utility role. If he is a utility player coming out of Spring Training, I would personally consider driving to Chicago to request that Rick Hahn and Robin Ventura take a urinary analysis, because they would need to be high as s*** to keep Semien on the bench at the MLB level

It depends on the number of at bats he if going to get, a lot like Profar with the Rangers. He can platoon at 3B and spell the SS and 2B on other days. Its a way to immerse him without throwing him completely to the wolves. If he can not get consistent at bats, then you're right he doesn't fit on the club.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)
It depends on the number of at bats he if going to get, a lot like Profar with the Rangers. He can platoon at 3B and spell the SS and 2B on other days. Its a way to immerse him without throwing him completely to the wolves. If he can not get consistent at bats, then you're right he doesn't fit on the club.

Profar also got 166 PA's at AAA before being called up.

Assuming they don't clear a spot for him in the offseason, they'll give him at least that long to see if someone else holds onto the 2b or 3b positions. That's what they did with Phegley/Flowers last year, that's what they once did with Beckham/Fields, etc.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)

Kinsler was also hurt for part of the year and the Rangers really did not have a set DH all year either. I just don't see how he'd get the plate appearances necessary to justify it. Keep him in the minors or start him in the majors.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 10:43 AM)
Can you provide any insight on the Cardinals 2nd tier of prospects? I was looking at guys like Ryan Jackson and Stephen Piscotty. Something like that make more sense for Ramirez on both sides? Any catching prospects worth a darn in the farm? Thanks.

Thanks, Iamshack. I actually enjoyed posting here back in ther summer. I had convinced myself that Ramirez was the

Cardinals main SS target. I still believe that.

Piscotty is not a 2nd tier prospect. I expect Piscotty to rank just behind Taveras when new rankings come out unless Martinez is still ranked.

The Cardinals minor lague system is really in good shape and there are some quality players beyond the ones that everyone hears about. I would offer Tim Cooney, Stephen Piscotty, Lee Stoppleman, Greg Garcia, Alexander Reyes, and Mike O"Neill as strong players.

Ryan Jackson is interesting. I believe he is an above average defensive SS with a modest offense. He is buried in STL and needs a change of scenery. I hope that happens for him soon. He is currently behind Garcia and Kozma.

And, before I close, let's take a look at all the possible starting pitchers: Wainwight, Wacha, Lynn, Kelly, Garcia, Gast, Lyons, Martinez with Cooney and Whiting at AAA and Rosenthal, Maness, and Siegrist in the bullpen.

Edited by mike65