Hahn says trade talks have heated up.

dayan024

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 05:00 PM)
Seriously.

If the Sox major league team sucks so badly, why do any other GMs want them? If the Sox minor league system is so bad, who is going to trade major leaguers for them?

No one does want them yet . Maybe we can snag another Leury Garcia. Oh joy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)
Seriously.

If the Sox major league team sucks so badly, why do any other GMs want them? If the Sox minor league system is so bad, who is going to trade major leaguers for them?

Unfortunately the players teams would be most interested in are the same players the Sox are trying to build around. With a possible few exceptions of course.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 07:07 PM)
Mildly surprised that Salty went at that price and the Sox didn't get him. It either means they didn't like him or they have no money to spend.

I'm surprised as well. Perhaps they didn't want to add another player with a high K rate, which is perfectly understandable given who we currently have on the roster. Still, Salty against RHP would have been a tremendous upgrade offensively over Flowers & Phegley and 3/$21M really isn't a lot of money. Hopefully this is a sign that Hahn has something in the works that is a better long-term fit than Salty, and I really hope they aren't planning to go with a cheap stop-gap like Lobaton.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 07:22 PM)
So why are people freaking out about trades not getting made?

Because were like kids at Xmas watching everyone else open their presents but there are no presents for us to open. I'm not knocking us Sox fans as I'm feeling a bit of it myself. As others have said it will take patience on our part while the dust settles. As more FA's sign more players will become available through more trades due to these signings. I definitely sympathize with those that are anxious.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:22 PM)
Or they think last year was a fluke.

I have to think some other major plans are in the offing either with catcher or with other positions. Most of the board here earlier wanted Salty if we couldn't get McCann, and the estimates then were closer to 4 years and $35-$40 mil. Perhaps that means a no-biggie addition like Loboton along with bigger moves with some of the other underperforming positions. We're getting Cano, is my point.

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:01 PM)
Seriously folks, let's settle down.

On December 9th (or whenever his "I'll let you know" date is), the Sox will re-sign Paul Konerko.... so we've got that going for us.

caddyshack_bill_murray_dalai_lama.jpg

Can we sign the Dalai Lama instead? Supposed to be a big hitter what from I hear.

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 06:01 PM)
Seriously folks, let's settle down.

On December 9th (or whenever his "I'll let you know" date is), the Sox will re-sign Paul Konerko.... so we've got that going for us.

Hahn's secret plan is to do nothing significant to make PK not want to play with them , then after he annouces his retirement ,Bam !! I feel better now.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:08 PM)
Man f*** that. Losing seasons suck. I don't wanna go through another season like last year and I don't wanna be like the Royals - constantly waiting until "next year" for the young talent to mature enough to compete.

No s***! Chicago already has a " wait til next year" team.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:14 PM)
Angry hippos are dangerous. Is the picture getting any clearer for you now on the Sox plans this offseason ?

$7m per year is paying him to be less than a 2WAR player -- who wouldn't take the over on that? Talk an opportunity to solidify the C position for several years at almost no risk... I thought the plan was to make long-term upgrades, this feels like a major missed opportunity.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:13 PM)
Let's be real, Salty sucks. He has one season in his career above 1.9 WAR, strikes out more than Adam Dunn, and was cut loose in favor of AJP after being benched in favor of David Ross in the World Series

This.

There's really outrage over not signing a guy who has had 1 productive season for $7M per? And that 1 year wasn't even a full year.

Not to mention he leaves a lot to be desired defensively. Pretty mediocre behind the plate. 2nd worst among all catchers at throwing runners out.

Also just noticed that his BABIP was .373 in 400+ AB's. Very high BABIP + very high strike out rate = stay away.

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 06:07 PM)
Hahn's secret plan is to do nothing significant to make PK not want to play with them , then after he annouces his retirement ,Bam !! I feel better now.

Paul Konerko will tell the White Sox if he intends to play in 2014 before the Winter Meetings begin December 9th, a source tells Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com (on Twitter). from mlbtraderumors