Hahn says trade talks have heated up.

dayan024

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 11:39 AM)
Santiago + Reed + Beck + Beckham/Semien + Snodgress, would that get it done? Assuming Headley extends, the price would be worth it IMO.

Santiago + Beck + Reed + Keppinger.

If they don't take back Kepp, they get Jones instead of Reed.

Edited by Quinarvy

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 12:23 PM)
Anyone think a 4 year 60 mill deal would be what it would take to lock him up for longer than next year? More or less? Also, I feel some sort of major trade happening in the next 4 days.

Looking at the FA market, Headley should be asking for way more than 4 years.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)
A few things to remember about Choo:

He is terrible vs. left handed pitching.

He was hit by pitches a league leading 26 times last year, and that's not a good way to generate a high OBP. One of those pitches is likely to land him on the DL.

He is not a good defensive outfielder, especially in CF.

And of course, he will cost way too much money, and want too long of a contract.

I'd still like to see a one year deal, at a reasonable price, for a certain other former Indian, left handed, center fielder. Dare I mention his name?

With these crazy contracts, that gamble is looking better every day. He's the same age as Choo, and is a better outfielder, even after the knee surgery. He's also better suited to bat in the middle of the order, if he's really healthy, of course.

He will probably be much more interested in guaranteed playing time, than a long term deal, as he will want to prove he is healthy, in order to re-establish his value.

The Sox are in a position to take that gamble, as he would not be blocking anyone, and would not cost a draft pick, as I mentioned one of the several times that I brought it up.

I know some will attack me for belaboring the point, but these ridiculous contracts provide a new perspective on the idea.

What would the Sox have to lose?

I think Choo is the better fit of all the free agent OF. You could play him in RF and move Garcia to CF. I think a problem the Sox would have even if Sizemore could play is I would image he would probably have to DH occassionally. Balta would have an anuerism if the Sox picked up another guy who would have to DH.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)
I think Choo is the better fit of all the free agent OF. You could play him in RF and move Garcia to CF. I think a problem the Sox would have even if Sizemore could play is I would image he would probably have to DH occassionally. Balta would have an anuerism if the Sox picked up another guy who would have to DH.

Choo is also looking for a nine figure contract.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)
The White Sox have demonstrated interest in Chase Headley of the Padres, Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times reports. As Van Schouwen notes, that's a little odd, unless the White Sox think they can sign Headley to an extension -- the White Sox aren't expected to be competitive in 2014, and Headley is a free agent after the season.

Van Schouwen also said this "The Sox prefer flying under the radar, and this is a long shot, but there are those who wouldn’t be stunned if Hahn came out of the woodwork to make a bid for center fielder Shin-Soo Choo."

Daryl's reading my posts?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 1h

#mariners getting lots of calls on their kids. Nick franklin obvs likely to go, maybe others too. Playing to win now.

I see this as nothing towards the Sox. Mariners wouldn't be interested in any of our pitchers unless their calling for Sale. With Price on the market, I would assume Walker and Franklin would be key pieces in that deal.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
I see this as nothing towards the Sox. Mariners wouldn't be interested in any of our pitchers unless their calling for Sale. With Price on the market, I would assume Walker and Franklin would be key pieces in that deal.

Never liked the idea of trading Walker even for Price

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)
Sounds like Tanaka will likely post. Should be interesting development for the winter meetings.

So explain me the rules for Tanaka. Maximum bid is 20 million, and whatever teams post that bid, Tanaka gets to choose where to go?

I really hope Hahn makes a move for this kid.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
So explain me the rules for Tanaka. Maximum bid is 20 million, and whatever teams post that bid, Tanaka gets to choose where to go?

I really hope Hahn makes a move for this kid.

All the teams that tie in the posting bid will get to fight for his services. So basically any team that wants him will more than likely have to go the max on the posting bid.

The problem with signing Choo is that we would still need a center fielder.

As for Headlry, you need to stockpile young talen. Sign the Headleys, not trade for them. And really, he's had one really good year. Otherwise, he averages 16 homers and .350 obp...nice, but not super duper.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 04:36 PM)
All the teams that tie in the posting bid will get to fight for his services. So basically any team that wants him will more than likely have to go the max on the posting bid.

Well then we can excuse the Sox out of contention for his services. Big market teams will be in the bidding and he'll fr sure want to play with one of them. I can be wrong, but I don't like the Sox odds.

There's no reason not to make a $20M bid and throw a good number at him, can't hurt because you're not out any $$$ if he signs elsewhere.

Maybe you follow the Billy Beane/Cespedes model and offer a shorter deal or else maybe longer deal like everyone else but with a player option in the middle of the deal ala the Andrus contract. Add in something like paid interpreter, clubhouse assistant, personal staff etc. and give him a creative NTC that allows him to pick 3-4 teams every year which he can veto a trade to. Just get as creative as possible contractually & try to give him more flexibility, sell him on the Cell + pitching coach/past pitching success + likely a serious contention window starting in 2015.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 06:10 PM)
The White Sox are not signing Tanaka.

The White Sox are not signing Choo.

This place is starved for a trade rumor.

We just need something. Only thing of substance is the Belisario signing. Not even a sniff of a rumor before or after that.

Maybe Hahn can pull off a prospect for prospect trade like Erik Johnson for a near MLB ready LH hitting prospect then either sign a RH pitcher or hand the 5th spot to Rienzo. Who is worth more right now to other teams Johnson or Santiago ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 05:44 PM)
Well then we can excuse the Sox out of contention for his services. Big market teams will be in the bidding and he'll fr sure want to play with one of them. I can be wrong, but I don't like the Sox odds.

I don't like our odds either, but our odds are at least existent with this new system. If we were on the old system, the Sox would have no chance to win a posting that could be around $50M.