Why Not Cano?

Dunt

I know I will probably get chastised for this, but why not offer Cano something along the lines of $180 MM/7 years? I think he will legitimately be good until atleast 35 or 36 and a signing like that would not only fill seats, but be a big time jolt in the arm of this offense. So why not? It's a lot of money ya, but even with a contract like that they would still be under what they've been around the last couple of years.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:44 PM)
You're starting to think smart.

I'm now convinced you're Dan Berstein. You recently b****ed how ownership owes the fans for the Wilder fiasco and should spend to make it up for us. If the best free agent on the market doesn't qualify, what would you like them to do make things right with the fans?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:04 PM)
I'm now convinced you're Dan Berstein. You recently b****ed how ownership owes the fans for the Wilder fiasco and should spend to make it up for us. If the best free agent on the market doesn't qualify, what would you like them to do make things right with the fans?

Map a plan that puts one of the five most talented teams in MLB on the field at some point in the next five years. Stop building 80 win teams with the hope of getting lucky.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:19 PM)
Map a plan that puts one of the five most talented teams in MLB on the field at some point in the next five years. Stop building 80 win teams with the hope of getting lucky.

Gotcha, well then clearly adding one of the best hitters in baseball wouldn't help us towards that goal.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:29 PM)
Gotcha, well then clearly adding one of the best hitters in baseball wouldn't help us towards that goal.

If the Sox are committed to play at the deep end of the free agent market, great sign Cano otherwise who cares.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:26 PM)
I know I will probably get chastised for this, but why not offer Cano something along the lines of $180 MM/7 years? I think he will legitimately be good until atleast 35 or 36 and a signing like that would not only fill seats, but be a big time jolt in the arm of this offense. So why not? It's a lot of money ya, but even with a contract like that they would still be under what they've been around the last couple of years.

Way too expensive and not in the realm of current budget for 2014.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 10:03 PM)
Adding 2 middle of the lineup bats with one of those being one of the best players in baseball only gives us 9 more wins?

Child Please.

We must sign Cano now then if that's the case. 80 wins would be . . . more of the same.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 11:09 PM)
We must sign Cano now then if that's the case. 80 wins would be . . . more of the same.

Doesn't necessarily make them an 80 win team either IMO. It all depends on Abreu and Garcia IMO. If they can be the players we hope they are you can't deny that a 3-4-5-6-7 of Abreu-Cano-Garcia-Dunn-Viciedo is the makings of a contending team.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 10:09 PM)

If you're waiting on only contributors from the minors to get us to 90 wins, then you'll be waiting a long-ass time and might as well blow things. Even if Cano gets us to 80 wins next year, we're in a much better position to be a 90 win team in 2015.