Juan Uribe re-signs with Dodgers

DirtySox

Juan is a really good bench player who can start in a pinch. Plays all 3 infield positions and pretty darn solid defensively. I have zero problem with this, presuming they don't spend a lot. Would make the bench much better. I presume Kepp is on the block. Plus Juan is probably a good guy to have in the clubhouse with Abreu.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 08:37 AM)
This would make absolutely no sense. Semien can play the positions that you would need Uribe for.

Unless they plan on trading Alexei or Beckham.

I'd have to see what other moves they make to see how Uribe would fit in for the next couple years.

Plus he's regarded as a great clubhouse guy, and the Sox need some of that.

This would make absolutely no sense. Semien can play the positions that you would need Uribe for.

Semien isn't going to be a backup at his age though. Semien is either earning the starting 3B job or starting the year at AAA. I see Uribe as more of a potential upgrade over Keppinger/LGarcia.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)
Semien isn't going to be a backup at his age though. Semien is either earning the starting 3B job or starting the year at AAA. I see Uribe as more of a potential upgrade over Keppinger/LGarcia.

But why spend a decent amount of money on a back-up infielder?

But why spend a decent amount of money on a back-up infielder?

Because he may not be a backup. If Semien does not earn the 3B job, Uribe could be part of a platoon with Gillaspie or maybe even earn the job outright. He's also a better option at 2B or SS in case they end up making a trade involving Ramirez or Beckham. Uribe would give the Sox a lot of flexibility with the roster.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)
Because he may not be a backup. If Semien does not earn the 3B job, Uribe could be part of a platoon with Gillaspie or maybe even earn the job outright. He's also a better option at 2B or SS in case they end up making a trade involving Ramirez or Beckham. Uribe would give the Sox a lot of flexibility with the roster.

If they were to trade Beckham, it would be very disappointing if they don't give 2B to Semien. If they do end up trading Alexei, then I'm fine with them bringing in Uribe to play SS.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
It's weird how Merkin and Hayes went out of their way yesterday to say the Sox aren't in on Uribe, but people are still reporting that the Sox and Dodgers are waiting on him to decide.

Yep really confusing

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
It's weird how Merkin and Hayes went out of their way yesterday to say the Sox aren't in on Uribe, but people are still reporting that the Sox and Dodgers are waiting on him to decide.

Rock kind of hinted that the Sox were interested, too. My question is, if they do sign him, who is going to depart?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
Sox helping out an old buddy by getting the Dodgers to bid against themselves???

They offered him a one-year deal and "are wating for him to decide"

After the last 3 year deal they signed with Uribe, I doubt they go more than a year and I doubt they are competing for his "services".

Uribe has value to the Didgers beyond his play on the field. Apparently (well, from what I've read as a Dodgers fan) Uribe was the player that got in Puig's face when he would act out. And the two are pretty tight friends as a result. So, yea... there's that.

Was thinking that maybe the lack of news with the Sox today might be them waiting for Juan to decide. If the Sox ARE involved, then a decision by him to go with the Sox would free them up to trade Keppinger as well as De Aza, freeing up over $8M, a portion going to Juan the balance to whomever they set up with a deal or deals. Don't know, but there has been almost no news today ...

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 06:16 PM)
Semien platooning third with Gillespie sounds more like speculation on Merkin's part. I can easily see the Sox shopping Keppinger though.

If they can dump Keppinger, by all means do so, but do not use Semien as the weak half of a platoon as a result. It's up for debate if Semien should even start the season in the majors, but pretty much everyone here agrees he needs regular at-bats either way. I hope for all of our sake's that Hahn isn't that stupid.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 06:30 PM)
If they can dump Keppinger, by all means do so, but do not use Semien as the weak half of a platoon as a result. It's up for debate if Semien should even start the season in the majors, but pretty much everyone here agrees he needs regular at-bats either way. I hope for all of our sake's that Hahn isn't that stupid.

I absolutely agree. I think Merkin's speculation stems from Gillespie not hitting well against lefties.