Sox trade Addison Reed to Diamondbacks for 3b Matt Davidson

dayan024

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 07:27 PM)
You'd have to assume at least one of them has to be moved. Davidson has had a full season at AAA so it's hard to justify putting him there again (even though he's a bit young), but you can't carry all 3 and there has to be a backup IF somewhere.

Heck, it would make sense for this roster to move both of them.

But with this year shaping up to just be an improving year, would it hurt to wait until June to move him up and delay his Arb clock?

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 11:10 AM)
Fleecing Towers is our new offseason strategy lol

Well lets hope these deals work out well. I really like this trade. I like Addy but we don't have any 3B hopes and Davidson is a young cost controlled guy with considerable upside. Huge move, I like it a lot.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
Hector Santiago, Addison Reed, and Brandon Jacobs for Adam Eaton and Matt Davidson...a starting CF/leadoff man and a power hitting 3B....both under team control for 5 years.

Great job by Hahn.

I would have been tickled if we could have gotten Eaton and Davidson for Peavy at the deadline. This is even better IMO

So does Keppinger or Gillaspe get traded now?

I believe Gillaspie has options left so he can be sent to AAA. Keppinger is probably gone. Already have Konerko and a backup catcher on the bench, a DeAza/Vicedo LF plattoon, so the last bench spot has to go to somebody who can play 2B, SS and 3B.

What a wonderful trade. He held his own in the majors this year too.

Those who wanted Castellanos for Reed in the summer...this is essentially the exact same sort of thing.

The Sox have turned Jake Peavy, Matt Thornton, Hector Santiago, Addison Reed, and the money saved into Avisail Garcia, Adam Eaton, Matt Davidson, Jose Abreu, and 3 additional lower level prospects.

Hahn shoots and scores with this one. The Belisario move makes since now since he can now move into Jones role while Jones takes over the closer role. Bullpen might not even skip a beat with this move.

I sure do loves me some Davidson as well. Should have big power, and he's shown the ability to take a walk.

Reallly like what Hahn has done so far, and he still has some surplus pieces to potentially trade in De Aza or Dayan, Gillaspie, and Keppinger.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)
Those who wanted Castellanos for Reed in the summer...this is essentially the exact same sort of thing.

Exactly why I focused on him. I feel like Davidson is a small step below where he was, but this is still solid and that's why I said you don't give up Reed unless someone gives you something really valuable. Eventually someone did.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 01:27 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 4m

As the roster is constructed now, I wouldn't say Davidson is a lock for Opening Day. But certainly a huge part of their future.

That is fine 2014 will be full of growing pains anyway you slice it.

Edited by Soxfest

I believe Gillaspie has options left so he can be sent to AAA. Keppinger is probably gone. Already have Konerko and a backup catcher on the bench, a DeAza/Vicedo LF plattoon, so the last bench spot has to go to somebody who can play 2B, SS and 3B.

OK, ignore what I just said about Gillaspie having options left. I just noticed that he got a callup to the majors way back in 2008, and has spent time in the minors in at least 3 seasons after that, so there's no way he has options left.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 07:11 PM)
I had no issue with trading Addy but I wanted the right return. This may be just a little less than I was hoping for but it also is at a position where this franchise could seriously benefit from an upgrade. He's also exceptionally young and, assuming he makes the roster this year (which I'm not sure about right now) he's under team control through 2020.

I had called for Reed to be traded earlier in the year. I think he is a good pitcher but regarless of 40 saves I thought he was always skating on thin ice. I believe thjis is the type of trade we will see helping this club. We are getting younger and picking up really excellent young talent. I do not see us done yet either. We may see a closer or catcher coming to this team soon and one of our OF'ers leaving or some money spent on a FA

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
I had called for Reed to be traded earlier in the year. I think he is a good pitcher but regarless of 40 saves I thought he was always skating on thin ice. I believe thjis is the type of trade we will see helping this club. We are getting younger and picking up really excellent young talent. I do not see us done yet either. We may see a closer or catcher coming to this team soon and one of our OF'ers leaving or some money spent on a FA

I kept saying "no unless the return is really solid" to everyone who wanted to trade Reed during the year. This is a solid return and is the sort of thing I would have waited for.