Sox trade Addison Reed to Diamondbacks for 3b Matt Davidson

dayan024

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
Davidson takes walks, which is encouraging.

Webb vs. Nate for the closer role I guess.

I get the feeling Webb is a ways off from taking it. Do the Sox have enough RH Relievers that he could start the year in AAA? I could still see Petricka beating him out and taking the final bullpen spot this year.

love this trade this past deadline i was posting for Hahn to go out and get both Eaton and Davidson. Sox still have major league chips to get some more talent and they still can see what they really have in Conor. It appears rick is going purely with youth I think we see both De Aza and Beckham moved, De Aza will be 30 near opening day while Beckham is only 27.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:57 PM)
I just hope we can keep Gillaspie and find all ways to get rid of Keppinger. Love what Hahn has done so far.

There is virtually no way that Gillaspie and Davidson can be on this roster simultaneously. Only way it works is if Gillaspie starts working on his SS and 2b game right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)
I get the feeling Webb is a ways off from taking it. Do the Sox have enough RH Relievers that he could start the year in AAA? I could still see Petricka beating him out and taking the final bullpen spot this year.

It reminds me of Hector vs. Reed for some reason.

Amusing, considering the names.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
This trade is exciting and I know they're building for the future, but the White Sox are going to lose 100 games in 2014. I hope everyone can stomach that. It's gonna be tough.

I don't see us losing 100 games and even if we do we will get another top draft pick that will make us better. But just because we have younger players doesn't necessarily mean we lose more games. I think we have gotten better on paper

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 01:59 PM)
I don't see us losing 100 games and even if we do we will get another top draft pick that will make us better. But just because we have younger players doesn't necessarily mean we lose more games. I think we have gotten better on paper

These Kids Can Play 2.0

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
Just looking at his numbers I'm immediately worried about the strikeouts. The White Sox simply don't have a good history of turning guys with 100+ strikeouts in minor league seasons into quality big leaguers. If his strikeouts go up a little as a big leaguer we'd be talking about a guy K-ing 175 times and so far he doesn't have the HR numbers to be productive doing that. That could change of course, but we will see. That's why I'm not 100% fawning right now, there's a real risk in his numbers that you can't overlook.

Anyone know anything about his defense?

Hate to use a total cliche but strikeouts are just another out. K's become a problem when you aren't getting on base and you are k'ing often with runners in scoring position. I can't find his minor league #'s with RISP at the moment but his obp is just fine. Adam Dunn managed to be a darn good player for quite a few years despite K'ing a ton, and I could list a whole bunch more too. If he can stick at 3rd with at least average D and hit .265/.330/.500 with 30 hr's on a yearly basis he will be just fine. Great move by Rick.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:01 PM)
This hopefully also means the end of Kepp on the bench, Gillaspie makes much more sense, other than that little $8.5 million still owed.

Gillaspie makes zero sense on the bench. He can only back up 1 position. That would leave backups for DH, C, and 3b on the bench, and 1 backup covering 5 other positions.

Gillaspie's LHness is nice but he's not nearly flexible enough.

2014 is sure shaping up to be a fun and exciting year to watch and be a Sox fan. A young core of diverse youngsters with a wide array of tools. Plus the #3 pick in a very interesting Draft class. I love the moves thus far by Rick, aggressive but well thought out. It's clear he had a plan and is slowly checking off the names on his big board. I would love for someone to get a look in his office and see the rest of the names he has on that list.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
Hate to use a total cliche but strikeouts are just another out. K's become a problem when you aren't getting on base and you are k'ing often with runners in scoring position. I can't find his minor league #'s with RISP at the moment but his obp is just fine. Adam Dunn managed to be a darn good player for quite a few years despite K'ing a ton, and I could list a whole bunch more too. If he can stick at 3rd with at least average D and hit .265/.330/.500 with 30 hr's on a yearly basis he will be just fine. Great move by Rick.

The problem of course is, if he's striking out 150 times in the big leagues and hitting 30 HR that works, if his strikeouts go any above that then suddenly he's Mark Reynolds.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)

Balta knows that, it's just the worry that those k's equal a hole in his swing that gets exposed at the major league level.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 01:06 PM)
Gillaspie makes zero sense on the bench. He can only back up 1 position. That would leave backups for DH, C, and 3b on the bench, and 1 backup covering 5 other positions.

Gillaspie's LHness is nice but he's not nearly flexible enough.

You may be right, I thought he had played some OF and 2B, but likely confused with someone else.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
The way Hahn is doing things I wouldn't be surprised if Viciedo is the next one gone for some type of high ceiling/hasn't been very good yet catcher.

I would love Rick to get a young catcher before Spring. I just don't want it to be for Viciedo. Give the kid, he is still a kid and very young a chance to thrive in a new clubhouse. Let him compete with some fellow young players. I think the additions of Garcia and Abreu only help his comfort level and ultimately pushes him to become better. Especially if those two start lighting it up. I would hate to see Viciedo traded, I know I'm I'm the minority here, but I hope to be able to tell the majority I told you so when he becomes a fixture at all-star games.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:09 PM)
You may be right, I thought he had played some OF and 2B, but likely confused with someone else.

He's played 2 games in LF in his professional career and never played any mid-IF position in professional ball (including minors). He can cover 3b and 1b...2 positions where we're loaded.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:11 PM)
He's played 2 games in LF in his professional career and never played any mid-IF position in professional ball (including minors). He can cover 3b and 1b...2 positions where we're loaded.

What does Keppinger provide though? Garcia plays every position plus more that Kepp can plus Jeff has no platoon partner at the moment. What's he going to do? Ph for Dunn? At least Connor's bat can be somewhat useful off the bench.

Seems like everyone is forgetting we still have Johnson under the wings, who has the potential to be a #2 starter along with all of our new pieces.

Sale, Quintana, E. Johnson, Abreu, Eaton, Garcia, Davidson

Wow. That is one heck of a young core.

Edited by staxx