Sox trade Addison Reed to Diamondbacks for 3b Matt Davidson

dayan024

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 05:40 PM)
That doesn't answer Dunt's question. Danks is on the bench.

Then we shouldn't have traded for 2 righties from Arizona who play the only positions we had lefty starters at or signed a righty pinch hitter/DH to fill in that vital role.

We're going to run an excessively right handed lineup out there next year. Basically at this point the answer is "Deal with it".

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 06:16 PM)
Whaddaya think the chances are this kid is going to start right away?

I assume he will start in AAA. He's just 22. I think Gillaspinger is better production in 2014 than Davidson. Even if we manage to unload Keppinger, I think Davidson is at Charlotte until he forces his way onto the roster, there's an injury, or a trade (prob during the season).

There simply is no rush for Davidson or Semien unless a very inviting trade offer comes along for Beckham or 3B. Otherwise, you stick with the people you're paying and allow them to build up their trade value with good play, or crash badly enough that the AAA callup would be an improvement.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 06:51 PM)
http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-...strikeout-total

Davidson doesn't like to strike out.

Nice to know he's not aspiring to be the next Mark Reynolds.

What a novel idea, a hitter not liking to strike out! I guess it's too bad for us that Adam Dunn must be a big fan of it, and Tyler Flowers has been working on striking out more this year.

Seriously though, what a stupid article.

Been thinking a lot about this trade for two days now, and I don't think I would have made it. Reed is a very good closer, only going to get better. His ERA got too high because of 2-3 really bad outings. He took the ball and saved 40 games for a lousy team. The kid has guts and big time experience. I would have kept him. Dbacks got a good deal, IMO.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 06:09 PM)
Been thinking a lot about this trade for two days now, and I don't think I would have made it. Reed is a very good closer, only going to get better. His ERA got too high because of 2-3 really bad outings. He took the ball and saved 40 games for a lousy team. The kid has guts and big time experience. I would have kept him. Dbacks got a good deal, IMO.

I completely disagree. Addison Reed is a really good closer, one of my favorite players. But, the Sox can develop pitching real well. I have that faith in them, and the Sox can plug Jones or Webb into the closer role. The reason its not a bad trade is because the Sox could of just acquired a franchise third baseman that they have control for 6 years. You don't pass that up when you can fill the closer role internally and get a bat with Davidson's potential.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 07:09 PM)

Prior to Reed, we built a closer out of a former shortstop. He pitched even better than Reed. There is probably no "position" in baseball more overvalued than closer.

Also, we didn't give Reed away for free.

There's always gotta be one. ;)

Would I trade Craig Kimbrel for Matt Davidson? Hell to the f***ing no. Addison Reed? All things considered, it's a good deal.

There's nothing left for Davidson to prove in AAA and he already played 30 games in MLB and looked rather competent. As for Dunn, you keep him unless you come across a trade that costs you in little money and/or brings in real talent. He serves an important role on this team, which is being a useful hitter that hits left-handed and can keep those three righties from being slayed by RHP late in the game. While we're not going to blow our wad trying to win in 2014, you don't actively make the team worse for no particular reason.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 06:52 PM)
There's nothing left for Davidson to prove in AAA and he already played 30 games in MLB and looked rather competent. As for Dunn, you keep him unless you come across a trade that costs you in little money and/or brings in real talent. He serves an important role on this team, which is being a useful hitter that hits left-handed and can keep those three righties from being slayed by RHP late in the game. While we're not going to blow our wad trying to win in 2014, you don't actively make the team worse for no particular reason.

I agree with all of this.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 03:14 PM)
I wasn't making an argument about PEDs exclusively. Just that Dunn's one of the only baseball players who can hit 30 home runs. Period.

edit: I haven't given any thought to a de-juiced ball theory, but I don't think that would explain why strikeouts have increased so much.

I think it explains some of it. Players don't have the "strength" they used to so they need to lengthen the swing and pull the ball more to try to hit the HR. The big contracts go to the HR guys so this approach increases the Ks. It's like before the rampant PEDs, the HR hitters were high strikeout guys. It was rare to have high ave., OBP and HRs.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 08:31 PM)
Mitch Williams just ripped the Sox for next year. He said Hahn made some good moves getting four young players but the loss of Reed is a huge one. Perhaps a closer bias there? He then said our rotation is Chris Sale and "8-10" guys competing for the last four spots.

I guess he missed the fact that we have an Ace in terms of WAR named Jose Quintana, have you heard of him? We also have A top 75 prospect in Erik Johnson and a three time 5+ WAR pitcher fully healthy for the first time since '10. Not to mention were one of the best teams at making pitchers from nothing.

I understand were not a playoff contender as is but why is this guy on MLB Network? He doesn't even do his homework before he starts talking.

It always amazes me people can be highly paid and on tv without having to actually take the time to get the basics down on these systems. If someone was giving me 6 figures to talk about baseball id probably be able to talk about pretty much every big league roster and probably go 5-10 prospects deep in every system.

Maybe makeup just takes that long.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 07:31 PM)
Mitch Williams just ripped the Sox for next year. He said Hahn made some good moves getting four young players but the loss of Reed is a huge one. Perhaps a closer bias there? He then said our rotation is Chris Sale and "8-10" guys competing for the last four spots.

I guess he missed the fact that we have an Ace in terms of WAR named Jose Quintana, have you heard of him? We also have A top 75 prospect in Erik Johnson and a three time 5+ WAR pitcher fully healthy for the first time since '10. Not to mention were one of the best teams at making pitchers from nothing.

I understand were not a playoff contender as is but why is this guy on MLB Network? He doesn't even do his homework before he starts talking.

Controversy sells.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 07:31 PM)

Mitch Williams is my least favorite guy on that network. He talks out his ass on many occasions.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 08:52 PM)
There's nothing left for Davidson to prove in AAA and he already played 30 games in MLB and looked rather competent.

I suppose he could prove he can put forth a better offensive showing than an .830 OPS in the PCL. Gillaspie, for example, went for .842 in 2011. And Adam Eaton .995 in 2012.

More than one of Keppinger, De Aza, Viciedo, Dunn, and Gillaspie will be traded between now and the end of the 2014 season. There isn't any reason all of that needs to be done before opening day. Relevant baseball events such as players getting injured (on our team and others) and teams finding themselves either contending or not-contending. As those things happen, what to do with our superfluous players will become more clear.

The main scenario where Semien and/or Davidson make sense on the opening day starting roster is if Gillaspie and/or Beckham go in a deal for a lefty catcher.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 09:14 PM)
I suppose he could prove he can put forth a better offensive showing than an .830 OPS in the PCL. Gillaspie, for example, went for .842 in 2011. And Adam Eaton .995 in 2012.

More than one of Keppinger, De Aza, Viciedo, Dunn, and Gillaspie will be traded between now and the end of the 2014 season. There isn't any reason all of that needs to be done before opening day. Relevant baseball events such as players getting injured (on our team and others) and teams finding themselves either contending or not-contending. As those things happen, what to do with our superfluous players will become more clear.

The main scenario where Semien and/or Davidson make sense on the opening day starting roster is if Gillaspie and/or Beckham go in a deal for a lefty catcher.

My guess is that Gillaspie is waived when the roster drops to 25 if he's not traded beforehand.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 07:30 PM)
Prior to Reed, we built a closer out of a former shortstop. He pitched even better than Reed. There is probably no "position" in baseball more overvalued than closer.

Also, we didn't give Reed away for free.

I know we didn't give Reed away for free, Vance. That's why we made the trade. No one knows more about Davidson that Dbacks; they got a real good look at him and made the trade. We'll all have a good idea by mid season. Until then, it will be interesting. I hope he starts the season with Sox and plays every day. Reed will prob do well at Ariz regardless.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 08:37 PM)
I know we didn't give Reed away for free, Vance. That's why we made the trade. No one knows more about Davidson that Dbacks; they got a real good look at him and made the trade. We'll all have a good idea by mid season. Until then, it will be interesting. I hope he starts the season with Sox and plays every day. Reed will prob do well at Ariz regardless.

/DBacks fan

I know we didn't give Davidson away for free, Vance. That's why we made the trade. No one knows more about Reed than the White Sox; they got a real good look at him and made the trade. We'll all have a good idea by mid season. Until then, it will be interesting. I hope he starts the season as the closer with the DBacks and saves every game. Davidson will prob do well in Chicago regardless.