Sox trade Addison Reed to Diamondbacks for 3b Matt Davidson

dayan024

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)
I am sure they have a factor for the size of the market they play in and an adjustment for how close they are to the East Coast.

Derek Jeter's WAR is always his actual WAR + 2-3 WAR, depending on where the Yankees finish in the standings.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)
ESPN calculates their's differently too. I have no idea how they do it.

I just compared ESPN's WAR and bWAR for a few players and it's exactly the same...

I assume they used bWAR because it actually correlates better with a player's performance for a said year compared to that player's reputation. It's a little easier to stomach for the average ESPN viewer.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)
He so sexy

Plus his bWAR goes from like 2 to 6 to 2 with the Sox, while it's pretty much a steady 4.0 with fWAR

And it just so happens that the year he put up 6 bWAR, the White Sox lost 90+ games.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
I just compared ESPN's WAR and bWAR for a few players and it's exactly the same...

I assume they used bWAR because it actually correlates better with a player's performance for a said year compared to that player's reputation. It's a little easier to stomach for the average ESPN viewer.

I was thinking it was different in the past. Oh well, not the first time I've been wrong.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
Yeah, Chili kind of just operates in a "my way or the highway" sort of fashion. I know why the statheads prefer fWAR but mainstream WAR is bWAR so that's why it's often easier to use on a message board.

Depends what you mean by "mainstream". ESPN uses bWAR, or some very similar form. But people who talk advanced metrics and pretty much every baseball site on the internet uses fWAR. fWAR is far more popular, it just so happens that the most popular sports resource, ESPN, uses the one most people don't agree with.

The sooner everyone uses fWAR, the sooner people who hate sabrmetrics can stop isolating the outliers bWAR creates and using it as an argument why advanced statistics suck.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 05:19 PM)
I acknowledged ESPN and what they used several posts above yours. fWAR is more popular for the internet and for serious baseball fans but for the everyday fan who knows the absolute bare minimum of WAR uses or has exposure to bWAR. These everyday fans are still the majority of the fans.

Admittedly, fWAR is the better evaluation of the player X's value but right now we are really in transition period where sabermetrics are really just finding their way into the mainstream.

I dont consider the people on this site to be casual fans. We are hardcore enough to devote our time to talking on a message board constantly. I dont see the need to use a dumbed-down, in your words, version on this site. We are all pretty educated enough I believe.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 12:59 PM)
Javy Vazquez is my favorite pitcher to look at

Looking at Javy's WAR numbers versus what we all saw in his performance will make one question the very concept of WAR. I happen to think the FG method overvalues/assumes luck a bit too much, and that the "truest" performance evaluation is somewhere in the middle.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 05:45 PM)
Looking at Javy's WAR numbers versus what we all saw in his performance will make one question the very concept of WAR. I happen to think the FG method overvalues/assumes luck a bit too much, and that the "truest" performance evaluation is somewhere in the middle.

It is, and they adamantly and frequently admit that. But it is the most accurate system that exists currently; there are fewer outliers like Javy Vazquez than exist with others.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 04:50 PM)
It is, and they adamantly and frequently admit that. But it is the most accurate system that exists currently; there are fewer outliers like Javy Vazquez than exist with others.

I agree it's the best we've got, for now.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 12:26 AM)
There are 75-100 posters who, as you say, "are hardcore enough to devote our time to talking on a message board constantly." The remaining probably has a handful of guys who know the difference between bWAR and fWAR. It's really a moot argument and no one can be sure either way. Personally, I just think that the group of people on this site (as the convenient sample) that understand fWAR, or are even are aware that there is more than one type of WAR, is a minority group.

Although I really don't understand how fWAR is somehow hard to understand while bWAR is easier for casual fans and more accessible. That doesn't make any sense to me. Either you understand and believe in WAR, or you don't, regardless of bWAR or fWAR. Except fWAR gives much truer results that skeptics can't use as often to discredit WAR.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 02:42 PM)
2p is the first airing.

They replay it a bunch later on, I'm sure.

Most excellent. When they were talking about the trade last week Rose and Millar were swooning over his hair, saying things like he has the best cut of lettuce in the bigs, and he has great "show hair" which warranted an interview. I can almost guarantee Rose will ask the baseball questions, Millar will ask if he has highlights in his lettuce.