Who Closes?

Jose Abreu

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 06:34 PM)
Hell if Jones has a solid year closing and piles up 40 saves we might be able to get a big return for him next year too.

See Oakland A's for about a decade.

Unfortunately, the Santos trade didn't break well for either team, but at least we got out from under that contract.

I wouldn't even be surprised if it ended up being Paulino...like Grilli with the Pirates last year.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 11:46 PM)
I cannot stand Jones's delivery. There is absolutely no deception. If he goes through a dead arm period and loses a couple ticks on his FB I think he'd get hammered. That delivery with a 94-95 MPH FB is a lot more of an issue than when he's hitting 97-100 MPH.

I also hate his delivery, despise it.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 11:15 PM)
I don't think it matters if the club isn't competitive. I think you have the freedom to give several tryouts to see what you have.

Are we still a last place team? If so why so?

I assume the guys that think we are a 95-loss team for sure, hate our position players like Becks, Viciedo, DeAza, Lexi and the black hole(s) at catcher; or you think our new guys are destined for a year or two of mediocrity as they learn how to hit?

Are you assuming that now that we don't have a closer we'll have a 50 percent save rate or something?

I thought the experts said our pitching staff as it stands is playoff caliber.

I don't see why we can't play .500 ball if we acquire a catcher who can hit .280 and another bullpen arm. I also trust in Hahn and I think he smells a contender in our division if he can make a few more magical moves.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 07:34 PM)
Hell if Jones has a solid year closing and piles up 40 saves we might be able to get a big return for him next year too.

That's actually a really interesting idea that I'd get behind. Give Jones the job, to simply inflate his market value, and then see if you can trade him for another top prospect. If not, bring him back for 2015 and give him a short lease with Webb being in mind as the closer all along. I like this.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 05:46 PM)
I cannot stand Jones's delivery. There is absolutely no deception. If he goes through a dead arm period and loses a couple ticks on his FB I think he'd get hammered. That delivery with a 94-95 MPH FB is a lot more of an issue than when he's hitting 97-100 MPH.

He doesn't have that edge, that intimidation factor either.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 08:17 PM)
If Jones is promoted we'll still have a serious need for a LHP in the bullpen

More than they do already? Jones being promoted has literally no effect on this.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 04:22 AM)
He doesn't have that edge, that intimidation factor either.

Yeah, averages 97+ with the fastball with a hard breaking slider, yeah, no intimidation at all.

Who the hell cares? He doesn't need to brush back his own kid at a father-son game, he just needs to get guys out. With his stuff, there's plenty of intimidation.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:44 PM)
Rock did mention something about bringing a vet in to compete for the job...not sure if that is something he heard or just something he would do.

The closer markey is still pretty deep...

Andrew Bailey (30)

Grant Balfour (36)

Joaquin Benoit (36)

Rafael Betancourt (39)

Kevin Gregg (36)

Joel Hanrahan (32)

Ryan Madson (33)

Chris Perez (28)

Fernando Rodney (37)

Jose Veras (33)

Carlos Marmol (31)

Brandon Lyon (34)

Brett Myers (33)

Francisco Rodriguez (31)

All those guys have some kind of closers experience.

If you're one of those who don't believe the Sox can compete, then at the very least whoever they pickup could be traded at the deadline(assuming they succeed).

I think Hahn is brining in someone to compete. I personally like Jones as the set up man.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 08:49 AM)
I think Hahn is brining in someone to compete. I personally like Jones as the set up man.

I wouldn't mind Bailey depending on his health. He doesn't seem to be linked with any team, and being a closer is probably what he wants. I think an incentive-lased deal maybe multi-year. At worst, if he performs, you can flip him.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 08:49 AM)

I would be pretty shocked if they were willing to pay anyone much higher than Lindstrom to come in...actually, I would have preferred had they just let Lindstrom go, brought in one of those closers from the list along with a LHR and filled the back end with our minor leaguers.

Chris Perez is another name that might be of interest...I know there are character issues.

Can't believe K-Rod is only 31. But too much wear and tear on him.

Rodney will drive everyone crazy, but Cooper might be a believer. Marmol, no way.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 08:52 AM)
I would be pretty shocked if they were willing to pay anyone much higher than Lindstrom to come in...actually, I would have preferred had they just let Lindstrom go, brought in one of those closers from the list along with a LHR and filled the back end with our minor leaguers.

Chris Perez is another name that might be of interest...I know there are character issues.

Can't believe K-Rod is only 31. But too much wear and tear on him.

Rodney will drive everyone crazy, but Cooper might be a believer. Marmol, no way.

If they somehow get someone to take Dunn off their hands (they are actively trying) then they have some money to play with.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
If they somehow get someone to take Dunn off their hands (they are actively trying) then they have some money to play with.

In order to get someone to take Dunn of their hands they're not going to wind up with much money to play with out of it. And there's a good chance some of that money has to go to pay someone to take Keppinger as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)

I guess in that scenario, DeAza and Viciedo would split LF and 1B/DH would be shared among DeAza/Viciedo/Konerko/Abreu/Davidson/Garcia and possibly Gillaspie.

Just don't see them dealing Dunn until midseason, and, if he's going great and the Sox are actually in contention...they might be better off just holding onto him.

Obviously, there are a lot of other factors at play.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)
In order to get someone to take Dunn of their hands they're not going to wind up with much money to play with out of it. And there's a good chance some of that money has to go to pay someone to take Keppinger as well.

Overall they will have more money to spend even if they pay some of those contracts. It's cheaper then keeping and paying their entire salary.

I know they are shopping Dunn, not sure about Kep.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 10:09 AM)
I guess in that scenario, DeAza and Viciedo would split LF and 1B/DH would be shared among DeAza/Viciedo/Konerko/Abreu and possibly Gillaspie.

I think there's a very good chance De Aza gets moved as well. It kinda makes sense to hold onto him until after Choo comes off the market, whatever teams don't get him will still have some money to spend and a need for an OF. I'd rather pay D2 minimal money to be a backup OF and play better defense than I would to pay De Aza decent money to do that.

I know I'm in the minority but I really don't want to trade Dunn right now.

I would like to trade Dunn, but I understand that it is very unlikely that there is any trade that will a) unload most of his salary or b) net a good prospect in return, and the likelihood of BOTH a) and b) is almost zero.

He is a guy you hope has a monster first half and trade at the deadline.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)

Then we shouldn't have signed another DH. We need 2 roster spots right now out of those 3 guys and frankly it would be really nice to keep the guy who is pre-arb.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)

I'm part of that minority. We saw in 2012 that we can compete with him on the roster.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 03:37 PM)
Then we shouldn't have signed another DH. We need 2 roster spots right now out of those 3 guys and frankly it would be really nice to keep the guy who is pre-arb.

We have no idea what the end game to the 2014 bench is. Kepp and Conor are probably gone, which I have zero problem with. I see absolutely nothing wrong with a PK-catcher-Garcia-Danks bench. It covers all the bases, has speed, defense, and power.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)
We have no idea what the end game to the 2014 bench is. Kepp and Conor are probably gone, which I have zero problem with. I see absolutely nothing wrong with a PK-catcher-Garcia-Danks bench. It covers all the bases, has speed, defense, and power.

It takes removing a guy with $9 million of dead money on his contract and another guy with 2 more pre-arb seasons in order to make that be the bench. That's my problem with it.