Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
"among those"

Meaning there could be more.

Just so you know, I'm pointing out the ambiguity in the tweet itself, not criticizing you. I appreciate the update. Not sure why Troy Renck - a beat writer for the Rockies - would have this scoop, but it's interesting.

Cotillo's stuff a put a little more faith in.

Troy does occasionally post stuff about other teams so this isnt out of the norm

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)
Because he's guessing.

Also negotiation becomes a lot more advantageous when people get desperate. Agent finds an assistant, leaks info to second tier reporters, they leak it, and so on. Easy to drive up the price.

Right, I was mostly pointing out that Renck having this info is a stretch and he's just looking for hits. I've been saying this exact thing all along. Teams report they are "going to bid a bazillion dollars" so teams up their bids, while others say "we're out of it" in the event that other teams will decrease their bids which increases opportunity.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)
Dodgers Nation ‏@DodgersNation 50s

Wayne Graczyk of the Japan Times says on @MLBNetworkRadio he doesn't think Tanaka will necessarily take the highest bid.

Thats what I asked someone to listen to. I knew something would come out of it!

Wayne Graczyk of the Japan Times says on @MLBNetworkRadio he doesn't think Tanaka will necessarily take the highest bid.

Makes sense - what's a few million to gamble for the right fit? Plus there are things like taxes to consider from location to location. And, of course, you may be taking the "smaller" offer if you take a huge 4 year deal over 7, or a deal with incentives/opt-outs/etc, but be doing so with the belief that taking it earns you more money.

This kind of goes back to what I was getting at earlier - he's going to take the offer that makes the most financial sense for him overall. He's not going to know s*** about America and all big cities will have something to offer him culturally. But if he gets an offer that allows him to earn $250 million over the next 10-12 years, he's going to take that over one that will earn him $150 mill. It's fiscally responsbile.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)
Right, I was mostly pointing out that Renck having this info is a stretch and he's just looking for hits. I've been saying this exact thing all along. Teams report they are "going to bid a bazillion dollars" so teams up their bids, while others say "we're out of it" in the event that other teams will decrease their bids which increases opportunity.

Being first is more important than being right.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 04:49 PM)
Being first is more important than being right.

Always has been, which is why the New York Post is the most reputable magazine in the world.

I've heard all kinds of rumors and speculation over the last 5 years - some from media, some rumors, some from the insiders on this board - and I think those things come through about 2-5% of the time. It's a volatile business, and just because something does or does not happen does not mean it was or was not close.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 07:52 PM)
But seriously, I just read through the last 20 pages. Y'all need to give up on Twitter. That s*** is 100% speculation, all the time.

Trouble is, the legit sources all use twitter to pump their articles, too. Can't stop monitoring twitter if you want the absolute latest, but you also need to think critically about who you're going to listen to and why.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
The Sox feel confident, but so does every sales guy before they get the bad news.

So does every person who thinks they do well on a job interview.

Until pen hits paper, I don't care what's being reported. Like I said, if they know where his plane lands, that is an entirely different story and will shed a ton of light on the situation. Odds are, we'll know before that.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 5m

Wayne Graczyk from Japan Times said his best guess would be Tanaka signs with (in order) 1. Yankees 2. Dodgers

Money doesn't matter to him. The two favorites are the top 2 spending teams and best known baseball teams in the world.

Pleading ignorance on all of this, but at this stage, is there any possibility of a stealth candidate? Is there any chance we will wake up in the next few days and read that the Red Sox or Angels or Rangers swooped in and signed this guy? How do we know for certain no other team than who has been reported all along didn't also make a "real" offer?

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)
Robert Brender ‏@robertbrender 4m

Sounds like Tanaka's wife wants to live on the west coast. Happy wife, happy life. I'm betting on the #Dodgers as the landing spot.

Play by play guy for Long Beach State Basketball. This is his opinion.