Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
That list is two weeks old. Sox are one of the only teams to have confirmed meeting with Tanaka.

Not saying it's current, but would be funny if we signed him and we weren't even on the radar a couple weeks ago.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 14m

Per @BovadaLV, odds are 3/2 in favor of Yankees to sign Masahiro Tanaka. The Cubs are 7/1 & #WhiteSox are 18/1. LA, Sea also ahead of Cubs.

Wow. Bulls*** from everyone and every angle!

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 06:07 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 14m

Per @BovadaLV, odds are 3/2 in favor of Yankees to sign Masahiro Tanaka. The Cubs are 7/1 & #WhiteSox are 18/1. LA, Sea also ahead of Cubs.

Thanks. Put 5.50 down to win 100. Free cheese.

They are also taking action on whether he will sign by the Jan 24th deadline. -175 for yes. Plus 125 for no.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 06:07 PM)
The Jason Smith Show ‏@JasonSmithShow 19m

Are the Dodgers in running for #Tanaka? "They still need another pitcher and they'd love it to be Tanaka if the money is right."

Well the money is not going to be right for any franchise. This will be a huge budget breaker.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
This is exactly what Hahn said it would be like in his statement. He said negotiations and anything else will be kept quiet out of respect till Mr. Tanaka makes his final decision. I think it may be a good thing we have respected their wishes. I have read that the NYY may have taken themselves out of it by all the stuff the have supposedly leaked. Who knows anymore. But just because we're quiet I wouldn't necessarily count us out.

And for the record Hayes tweeted last night one source said "dOnt count the White Sox out."

The Sox seem to have been the most "respectful" towards Tanaka, whatever that's worth. They said they met with him and had Merkin write a sales pitch, that's it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)
The Sox seem to have been the most "respectful" towards Tanaka, whatever that's worth. They said they met with him and had Merkin write a sales pitch, that's it.

Translation: The Sox were the only team to take their shoes off before the meeting.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 18m

Bovada odds to sign Tanaka: Yanks 3/2, Dodgers 11/4, M's 5/1, Cubs 7/1, BoSox 10/1, Dbacks 12/1, Tex 15/1, Angels15/1, ChiSox 18/1, Jays18/1

Red Sox didn't meet with him, Angels didn't meet with him, Rangers are at their ceiling.

Now people are just pulling stuff out their ass.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 09:23 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 18m

Bovada odds to sign Tanaka: Yanks 3/2, Dodgers 11/4, M's 5/1, Cubs 7/1, BoSox 10/1, Dbacks 12/1, Tex 15/1, Angels15/1, ChiSox 18/1, Jays18/1

Jays, eh? Didn't know they were in on it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
Red Sox didn't meet with him, Angels didn't meet with him, Rangers are at their ceiling.

Now people are just pulling stuff out their ass.

We have no idea what the Red Sox are doing though. They didn't meet with him, but it doesn't mean they didn't bid on him. Maybe they've seen enough, or they want to throw everyone off their trail.

These odds mean absolutely nothing too. Again, I'm not paying attention to anything until about the 23rd.

Unless Bovada has a direct link to the mind of Tanaka these odds are utterly useless because there's no way of knowing what decision Tanaka will make.

I have to admit, the more of a circus this becomes the more I'd like to see the Sox say screw this and walk away. I wonder if there will be dancing bears with guys on unicycles and Justin Beber singing on the day Tanaka makes his announcement.

Anyone think the proposals are not as great as they would like to see them. If the Yankees were dangling $150M out here do you not think that the deal would be closed by now.

Personally I think the teams in play are the cubs, Sox and Mariners with none of them being as high as expected. My guess, Chicago White Sox 5 years $100M. the cubs and White Sox will not give a 3 year out as the expectation is the horizon for these teams will be much rosier in 3 years as it is today.

He may say screw it and stay in Japan if the numbers are not looking good.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 09:44 PM)
Anyone think the proposals are not as great as they would like to see them. If the Yankees were dangling $150M out here do you not think that the deal would be closed by now.

Why agree to any deal right now if you have the biggest markets in the game bidding after your guy? Also, who knows, maybe the Dodgers told his agent (Kershaw's guy as well) that they'd be able to talk specifics about Tanaka as soon as Kershaw's deal was done.