Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 03:55 AM)
Thanks for the clarification.

Epstein was probably just lucky. I doubt that he knew it wouldn't translate as bad as it sounds in English. "Commodity" certainly isn't the best English word to use, if the intention is to show respect.

Most Americans wouldn't think anything of it, but I understand that Japanese culture is quite different.

Oh man, we're really all itching for some action.

It's not like Epstein said, " He's a valued vagina..."

:P

I just watched the videos on chisox.com from the hitting camp.

That was more exciting than the past few days here playing the refresh game.

Highly recommended. :)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 01:47 AM)
That bullpen sucks. (Yes, I know, someone like Danish will emerge as a stud out there...and we've got three veterans in front of them for the moment, along with Paulino possibly as well).

Tyler Danish is absolutely NOT going to sniff the big league bullpen this season. Hopefully not next season either.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 05:55 AM)
Thanks for the clarification.

Epstein was probably just lucky. I doubt that he knew it wouldn't translate as bad as it sounds in English. "Commodity" certainly isn't the best English word to use, if the intention is to show respect.

Most Americans wouldn't think anything of it, but I understand that Japanese culture is quite different.

It just sounds like he's property but I get what you mean. They should have just said he's an important player for this team.

QUOTE (timbo @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
cubs made first offer

@mlbbrucelevine Wake up tweeters! Cubs made Tanaka a real offer to be there ace and grow with their other talented young players.

Bruce Levine‏@MLBBruceLevine·4m

Hoyer on Tanaka -we had a really good meeting with him . Epstein - Lots of teams are involved.

////

Doesn't scream 'we got him' either.

cubs made first offer

@mlbbrucelevine Wake up tweeters! Cubs made Tanaka a real offer to be there ace and grow with their other talented young players.

I just checked, and the grammatical error is actually Bruce's and not an error/typo by timbo. Makes me sad that somebody who makes that kind of mistake gets paid to write and report for a living.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
I believe Levine also tweeted that having a big Japanese-American community would be important for where they choose. If so, then Tanaka will be signing with the Dodgers. I don't get why Levine thinks it's such a big deal that the Cubs offered a "real contract".

Levine says a lot of common knowledge, generalized things to TRY to justify him being called an "insider".

Edited by TheTruth05

I believe Levine also tweeted that having a big Japanese-American community would be important for where they choose. If so, then Tanaka will be signing with the Dodgers. I don't get why Levine thinks it's such a big deal that the Cubs offered a "real contract".

Agreed, I thought the "real" thing was bizarre too.

Yeah, that was a pretty stupid tweet. I think it's safe to say that all the teams that met with Tanaka plan on offering him a contract at some point. Go ahead and report that the Cubs made an "official" offer, but Levine shouldn't be acting like it's some ground-breaking story unless he has some of the proposed terms.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 05:07 PM)
Yeah, that was a pretty stupid tweet. I think it's safe to say that all the teams that met with Tanaka plan on offering him a contract at some point. Go ahead and report that the Cubs made an "official" offer, but Levine shouldn't be acting like it's some ground-breaking story unless he has some of the proposed terms.

I actually do think the Cubs will get him, but it is quite "interesting" all the hype about possible getting him is going on the same weekend as the Cubs Convention.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)
I just checked, and the grammatical error is actually Bruce's and not an error/typo by timbo. Makes me sad that somebody who makes that kind of mistake gets paid to write and report for a living.

Yes me too..... it bothers me a lot. Grammatical errors make me lose my boner

QUOTE (Whitey @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)
The Sox stadium is almost in Chinatown (big Asian population, including Japanese). I wonder if that could that help put the Sox over the Cubs if the dollars are equal...

I would sincerely doubt that after being paid $100M+ that a player would live in Chinatown.

this is from the link i posted

A number of teams, which could include the Yankees, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, White Sox, and Cubs, submitted formal contract offers to Tanaka up through to the 16th US time (17th Japan time). Almost all teams probably submitted nine-figure deals at six years. [Nikkan Sports 1/18/2014]

If I'm the White Sox-

1. Tell Tanaka there's a whole (very nice) town of only Japanese people 5 minutes from The Cell

2. Pay 100 Japanese $25K each to move into this town

3. Pay 100 non-Japanese $25K each to move out of this town

4. Build a mansion right in the center of the town

5. Sign Tanaka

6. Move Tanaka into that mansion

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
If I'm the White Sox-

1. Tell Tanaka there's a whole (very nice) town of only Japanese people 5 minutes from The Cell

5. Sign Tanaka

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Yeah creating a program that reflects Japanese internment camps should be a great sell.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
If I'm the White Sox-

5. Sign Tanaka

PROBLEM SOLVED.

This makes a ton of sense as it spends $50 million to deal with the fact that Tanaka is deathly afraid of having white people around him.

So it's pretty much down to the Dodgers, Yankees, Diamondbacks, Cubs and our beloved White Sox. At least these are the teams who have confirmed to make offers. If you had to rank the order 1-5 on the likelood destination for Tanaka, what would it be?

Here is my order:

1) Yankees- Their international popularity alone gives them an edge IMO.

2) Dodgers- His wifey wants to live on the west coast. However, I don't think LA will go for broke on another SP after the record breaking deal for kershaw. Regardless of how much money they are throwing at players over the past 2 years, adding another SP may seem like a bit much, even for LA.

3) White Sox- Chicago is an attractive destination for many free agents, and the Sox have a plan of going for it all as early as 2015. At that point, each of the younger guys will have a year of seasoning. Not to mention a Sale-Tanaka 1-2 punch can be deadly for the next five years.

4) Cubs- Will they offer something really disgusting that even Tanaka can't say no to? Will Tanaka risk his sub 2.0 era for 14 losses and go along with their long term rebuilding plan? I just don't know....

5) Diamondbacks- a competitive young team that is 'closer' to the west coast. It is lacking that larger city appeal, but may be good for him and his family to receive less attention in an area like Arizona.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 18, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
If I'm the White Sox-

5. Sign Tanaka

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Not sure if you are joking or you are ignorant.

Have you actually been in Chicago? Do you know the difference between Chinese and Japanese people?