2014 Catch-all Anything thread

Kyyle23

I don't see an alcohol thread started so I'll just add this here. Anyone in here a whiskey drinker? Like, good whiskey? Yesterday I went to a whiskey tasting in Cambridge, MA and had my mind blown. I had looked at the list before going (there were something like 90 varieties to try) and I saw this place Koval from Chicago, figured I would give them the cursory attempt. Turns it's amazing. Like, truly great. For reference, my previous favorites are things like Blanton's, Eagle Rare, and Bulleit. I tried Koval's bourbon, oat, rye, 4 grains, and white rye. There were a bunch of other $60 whiskeys at the tasting, and Koval had 3 of my top 5 I tried all day. It runs about $50 a bottle but totally worth it. I checked out their twitter account and it sounds like they do tastings around downtown Chicago pretty frequently, if you want to try it out before dropping $50. I seriously suggest anyone who enjoys a whiskey to check it out. Great stuff. And after reading through everything I just said, no this is not a paid advertisement haha. I just really love bourbon, and this brand I had never previously heard of has pretty much ruined a lot of other bourbons for me now (and has turned me to rye as well).

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 10:38 PM)
I don't see an alcohol thread started so I'll just add this here. Anyone in here a whiskey drinker? Like, good whiskey? Yesterday I went to a whiskey tasting in Cambridge, MA and had my mind blown. I had looked at the list before going (there were something like 90 varieties to try) and I saw this place Koval from Chicago, figured I would give them the cursory attempt. Turns it's amazing. Like, truly great. For reference, my previous favorites are things like Blanton's, Eagle Rare, and Bulleit. I tried Koval's bourbon, oat, rye, 4 grains, and white rye. There were a bunch of other $60 whiskeys at the tasting, and Koval had 3 of my top 5 I tried all day. It runs about $50 a bottle but totally worth it. I checked out their twitter account and it sounds like they do tastings around downtown Chicago pretty frequently, if you want to try it out before dropping $50. I seriously suggest anyone who enjoys a whiskey to check it out. Great stuff. And after reading through everything I just said, no this is not a paid advertisement haha. I just really love bourbon, and this brand I had never previously heard of has pretty much ruined a lot of other bourbons for me now (and has turned me to rye as well).

Look harder, young grasshopper

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=90911

It's very good stuff, you can go to the distillery in the ravenswood area as well (my roommate did that).

Also, Binny's once had their oat whiskey on clearance for $25 for a 750ml bottle, snatched that right up.

I won a whiskey tasting a few years back at a charity event and it blew my mind. I had only had Blue Label before of the "good" scotches and he basically started us on that and worked up. Crazy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
I moved to the west loop to get away from riding the brown line. Hell on earth.

The brown actually wasn't bad but was only on it for like 5 stops. Red is miserable. I just missed the last purple express in the am

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 04:34 PM)
The brown actually wasn't bad but was only on it for like 5 stops. Red is miserable. I just missed the last purple express in the am

It's awful. When I was working downtown and had a rotating schedule I had to take it from Jarvis to Jackson at least once a week and I just dreaded that day.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 04:34 PM)

The summer was a nightmare. At times you were spooning some guy you didnt care to know while your ass was in some girls face. I felt like we were in Japan.

I tired to workout at Gold's after work a few times but my guilt from being sweaty and riding the train made that impossible. When I moved to the West Loop I started walking or taking the 20 bus and at that time it was mostly empty because it was before the boom. Pure paradise.

I took the Red in for training for a week (Morse to Grand) and it was terrible. I always had a seat in the morning but around Fullerton I would have some guy's crotch shoved in my face. I usually stayed late to finish regular work and to avoid the rushes, but by then it was filled with the usual drunks and the crazies.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 04:56 PM)
It's awful. When I was working downtown and had a rotating schedule I had to take it from Jarvis to Jackson at least once a week and I just dreaded that day.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 10:05 PM)
I took the Red in for training for a week (Morse to Grand) and it was terrible. I always had a seat in the morning but around Fullerton I would have some guy's crotch shoved in my face. I usually stayed late to finish regular work and to avoid the rushes, but by then it was filled with the usual drunks and the crazies.

Hey, you guys know each other and didn't even realize it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
That has to be fake. How did it not break after hitting the ground?

People have survived after hitting the ground with relatively minor injuries. Those GoPro cameras are already really rugged (they're used for filming action sports where they'll take a beating). Add to that landing in a pig pen, which probably was pretty muddy, and it's definitely possible.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
I run Avast! on both of my home computers. I've had it for years without any problems.

I ran Avast for years with no problems but a couple of months ago my computer suddenly started rebooting itself randomly for no reason at all.

My wife mentioned that it had started happening right after a recent Avast update. I uninstalled it and haven’t had any problems since. I’ve been wary of it since then.

I had AVG for a while but then it just went haywire. I started reading up on it and Microsoft Windows Defender actually is rated very good and I downloaded it and really havent had any problems since, and it is free