It's cold outside

Rowand44

I work w/ a bunch of middle age men who still think working at home is for the lazy. So I'm at work today.

It was damn cold out there this morning, but I can't say it was EXTREMELY colder than a regular frigid day.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SnB @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
I work w/ a bunch of middle age men who still think working at home is for the lazy. So I'm at work today.

It was damn cold out there this morning, but I can't say it was EXTREMELY colder than a regular frigid day.

Wind exposure would be the big difference today. Standing on my back steps out of the wind in -15F was cold, but walking out the front door into the wind was a completely different story.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)
sweet. office is closed, nice day off. was ready to go in though.

but i did just help push 2 cars that were stuck in the snow outside my house.

I helped push a lady who was stuck getting out of a parking lot on a side street yesterday. When she got unstuck, she drove right into a parked car.

We are in a snow emergency here. Up to $2500 fines for being on the road if you aren't essential personnel. Also the entire South Shore train line is shutdown from South Bend to Chicago. I've got about three feet of snow drifted up against my backdoor, and now it is -10 degrees outside. Gotta love winter in NWI Indiana. Thank god for telecommuting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
We are in a snow emergency here. Up to $2500 fines for being on the road if you aren't essential personnel. Also the entire South Shore train line is shutdown from South Bend to Chicago. I've got about three feet of snow drifted up against my backdoor, and now it is -10 degrees outside. Gotta love winter in NWI Indiana. Thank god for telecommuting.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 02:50 AM)
Grow a pair, Chicago. Large swaths of this country endure much worse and do just fine.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)

We checked the cam's in SW Mich at our place, easily 3 feet of snow. Lake effect FTW!

The cold hasn’t really affected me much at all today. My car started up with no problem and there was 0 chance of my work closing. The streets were pretty empty so I had a nice, easy commute in.

I’ll take cold 10 times out of 10 over shoveling any amount of snow.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
We checked the cam's in SW Mich at our place, easily 3 feet of snow. Lake effect FTW!

Yeah, I think we had about this much snow in 2011, but no where near this cold or wind. I have to go back to 1998 for it to be this bad, the only one I have seen worse is 1978, when we had 4 feet of snow on the ground.

Was wicked cold out, but made it in to a freezing office.

Just a reminder, there is no rationalization that can be made for saving a parking spot with a chair other than you are a terrible and selfish person. Just bring a shovel in your car.

Is there any advantage to going out and starting my car periodically today? I honestly can't seem to find anything about that on the great interwebs, so I assume it's rubbish.

Then I found this:

If the car starts in the morning after cold-soaking all night, it certainly should start after 8 hours parked in the office parking lot. If you've got a garage baby that won't start after a day out-of-doors and needs to be started every 4 hours, maybe it's time to change the plugs and get it running right. If you start a cold engine and idle it for 10 minutes every day, you stand the chance of diluting the oil with unburned fuel that never gets a chance to burn off. That could cause premature engine wear--not to mention needlessly burning up some expensive gasoline.