It's cold outside

Rowand44

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
I'm co-owner of a courier service, but still bike. We were out there today, but I just shut down our loop service. My toughest bikers were starting to break and a couple of those guys are bad motherf***ers. I've been a messenger for a while and I don't ever remember it being this cold. That wind is just brutal.

Yikes, I couldn't even imagine.

Thanks for all the help though lads...gonna wait to see whats up tomorrow

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
Fwiw, it might be worthwhile to get one of those jump starter booster packs. That way you don’t have to rely on someone else to jump your car.

oh yea. i have one of those. i've only had to use it once, but it is well worth the investment!

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
Hell yeah Rock, ya do what you must especially with the winters Michigan gets.

We also used to pour hot water on the engine block when in the UP. Not sure it did anything.

My hot water in my kitchen froze today but thats the only water that isnt working. Really weird.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 06:25 PM)
We also used to pour hot water on the engine block when in the UP. Not sure it did anything.

My hot water in my kitchen froze today but thats the only water that isnt working. Really weird.

Kitchen sinks are often on outer edges of the house and divided from the rest of the house by cabinet doors that keep ambient heat out, so they are often the most likely to freeze.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 11:26 AM)
Was wicked cold out, but made it in to a freezing office.

Just a reminder, there is no rationalization that can be made for saving a parking spot with a chair other than you are a terrible and selfish person. Just bring a shovel in your car.

Come on, I wouldn't say a terrible and selfish person. I don't agree with being able to think you can save a spot with a chair, but those people certainly aren't terrible or selfish. Some people dig out those spots and their cars for a long time, for some guy to just come in and park there. Doing all the work for someone else to reap the benefits doesn't equal a terrible and selfish person.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 05:27 PM)
Kitchen sinks are often on outer edges of the house and divided from the rest of the house by cabinet doors that keep ambient heat out, so they are often the most likely to freeze.

It's in our edition and definitely on the outside of the house. Weird it was just the hot water though.

To those who think it's fun to spend back-to-back days just sitting at home watching movies and random crap on TV, eating and drinking, and the occasional smoke break when the aggressive wind allowed, how do you do it??

I felt like I was losing my mind! I was at home since late Saturday night until finally a buddy of mine managed to get released from his job at the fire station this afternoon and took me to AutoZone to purchase a replacement battery for my car. I'm one to admit, I'm GLAD I GO BACK to work tomorrow!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 07:39 PM)
Hot water freezes quicker that cold water. Fact.

Yes. The kids just did an experiment. Took hot water and threw it in the air and it evaporated before it hit the ground. Did the same with cold and some made it to the ground.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 06:25 PM)

My main line froze this morning. Turned out we had rodent damage to the exterior wall that caused cold air to poor over the pipe all night and freeze. Thawed it this morning (went to work!) blocked the holes for now and insulated the pipe.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
Just heard that Metra shut down almost entirely. That can't be good.

They canceled about 25-30 rush hour trains. Their systems always struggle when it's cold, I would not be trusting them in record breaking low temps.

It's supposed to be -10 with the wind chill in Atlanta tomorrow. I've never experienced temperatures that cold. This is going to sound stupid, but I'm sort of looking forward to it just to see how cold -10 actually feels. I know as soon as I walk outside I'm going to say "f*** that" though.

On the bright side, I've been traveling to Chicago every week from Sept - Dec for work, but didn't have to this week. Thank God.

I'm back at work today. Schools are all still closed.

Yesterday at 6am temperature was +3 with wind chill of -25. Today at 6am temperature was -3 with wind chill of -19. Still not certain what made yesterday too cold to come to work but today not too cold.