It's cold outside

Rowand44

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 12:28 PM)
OK. Well there's a huge difference between wheeling around your neighborhood with no traffic, and trying to get somewhere like errands, work, etc where it takes you 10 times as long to get there. And more risk of accident with tons of other cars.

Although, I hope your neighbors don't have kids building snowmen outside. Here comes that crazy guy barreling through...

Suburbs + dead end street = winning!

Snow and the City sucks, I'll admit that. I remember big storms making the 25 min commute to my place in wrigleyville on LSD upwards of 2-2.5 hours. THAT I certainly don't miss.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 12:22 PM)
Lol, yes. How old is your daughter? My son is 18 months. Old enough to know that the coat, hat and gloves can be taken off with relative ease. Such a pain in the ass.

Though I will say he cracks me up whenever he steps in snow. His mind is blown away that the ground below him sinks in and sticks to his shoes. We've played the game about 50 times this winter and it's still hilarious to watch.

She just turned one a few weeks ago. She has been walking for well over a month, but she's still a bit iffy with shoes on, so she hasn't walked in the snow yet, would probably just fall and disappear in a snow pile.

She absolutely refuses to wear anything on her head, so the winter hat is always a battle. The only way it stays on is if her hands are in her mittens, rendering her fingers useless.

After living in the South for a few years and having decided the weather was the main positive of that location, I started to hate it. I miss winter. It can be inconvenient and sometimes worse than inconvenient, but it just feels right to me. Four distinct seasons. I love it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)
Oh yeah man I love driving in snow. Ice covered roads obviously not, but like last weekend when we got 6-8 inches of powder snow? Hell yes. That was awesome barreling through my neighborhood's unplowed streets. I have a 4WD suv though, so I don't have to worry about getting stuck.

You see plenty of people with AWD SUV's plowed into snow banks, in ditches, etc.

AND is vastly different than 4WD. I love spinning my little RWD Miata around in the snow. Throw the all seasons on (lol) and it basically goes sideways if I even turn the steering wheel

Most fun you can have in a car is a footish of snow, an empty parking lot and a Mazda Miata on summer tires.

The inner monologue of "why do I live here?" is growing increasingly louder and more serious as this winter wears on. Maybe it's the fact that I've been stuck in a house w/ a newborn and running out of things to do, but this has been absolutely ridiculous.

You are all welcome to move down South. This is my 3rd winter in Atlanta and I've yet to see snow. Of course, that might actually drive some of y'all crazy (e.g. Jake).

I love snow, but I like it on my own terms. So I just go snow skiing or something to get my fill. And then I enjoy the not-too-cold winters.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
Ugh, I'm actually supposed to pass through NWI this evening. How bad is 80/94? Should I just take the Skyway?

It is further west. I-94 is essentially shutdown in both directions at Michigan City for an accident involving at least two, but as many as 7 semis, plus other cars.

Here you go

1511592_10201866375765303_1459994585_n.jpg

Do you have an exact location on that picture? I have a lot of friends in NWI and I'd like to post it on my FB page.

EDIT: OK, according to INDOT, this is I-94 eastbound at MM 35, which is just east of the US 421 exit.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

It is further west. I-94 is essentially shutdown in both directions at Michigan City for an accident involving at least two, but as many as 7 semis, plus other cars.

Well f***. Guess I get to stare at Gary hookers patrolling that T/A tonight.

Well f***. Guess I get to stare at Gary hookers patrolling that T/A tonight.

Where are you headed from/to? You could take I-80/94 to the Toll Road and then IN 39 up to New Buffalo to get back on I-94. That is, unless that wreck has eastbound I-94 backed up past the Toll Road exit.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
Do you have an exact location on that picture? I have a lot of friends in NWI and I'd like to post it on my FB page.

EDIT: OK, according to INDOT, this is I-94 eastbound at MM 35, which is just east of the US 421 exit.

I-94 at the Kieffer Rd/ 400N bridge in Michigan City. Those are teh east bound lanes.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)
Where are you headed from/to? You could take I-80/94 to the Toll Road and then IN 39 up to New Buffalo to get back on I-94. That is, unless that wreck has eastbound I-94 backed up past the Toll Road exit.

Toll road is closed to lots of semi traffic. Also sound like 94 is a disaster all of the way up to MM16 in MI.

Just W of Janesville WI to The D. My cons appt isn't until 1300 tomorrow so I'm just going to cut in at Gary for the night and let INDoT do some some overnight plowing.

From the WGN weatherblog yesterday, so add today's numbers:

As of Wednesday: Seasonal snow totals 45.2 inches versus the norm of 17.6 inches, and the area has had 14 days with minimum temperatures of zero degrees or lower versus the O’Hare norm of six days (and a full-season average of 10 days).