It's cold outside

Rowand44

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)
Pretty much every part of the country has to deal with some sort of extreme weather at some time throughout the year. What's unique about the Midwest is that we often deal with high heat and humidty; snow, ice, and frigid temps; and violent thunderstorms and tornadoes every year. Think about this: If around July 6 it gets to be in the upper 90s (which is entirely possible), that would be about a 115 degree temperature swing in 6 months. That sort of temperature span doesn't happen throughout the country.

I've lived in Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Alaska, Connecticut, Maryland, and Illinois, and the weather here is by far the most diverse.

Don’t like our weather? Just wait a few minutes. It’ll change. :lol:

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 08:26 AM)
I would think if you are 30 and under it is the worst winter ever. WGN does go extreme on it's snow totals. Accuweather still has 2-4 inches in the next week. But everyone agrees the ridiculously cold is returning.

Anytime you are celebrating it being 20 degrees, something is wrong.

The last time I remember a winter like this one was something like 82 or 83 when we set most of the record cold records that exists today.

The last time I remember a winter like this one was something like 82 or 83 when we set most of the record cold records that exists today.

I remember it being 20 below in January 1994, and classes weren't cancelled. By far the coldest I've ever been. But I don't remember how long that cold spell lasted or how cold the winter was overall.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
This winter is being compared to the brutal winters of the late 70s. I wonder if we're slipping back into that type of pattern where we'll have a few winters in a row like this.

Right now there's about a 50/50 chance that 2014 will be an El Nino year, which will throw a wrench into anything you're expecitng if it happens.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)
I remember it being 20 below in January 1994, and classes weren't cancelled. By far the coldest I've ever been. But I don't remember how long that cold spell lasted or how cold the winter was overall.

That happened the week of January 17, 1994. They canceled 3 days of class in Portage, Indiana.

I know this in detail because that Monday I woke up with such a sore throat I couldn't eat, went back to bed, woke up to find Los Angeles had been devastated, spent the whole day watching earthquake coverage, would have missed the next 3 days with Strep Throat but didn't miss any extra days of school because the next 3 days of school were canceled.

I thought the winter two years ago was one of the worst then it got warm in March and lasted all summer.

It seemed to me that winter was either dry and cold or mild temps with a lot of snow.

I only really remember the blizzard of 78, a heavy snowfall in April of 82, and frigid 1983 blast. The late 70's bad winter may explain why I hated my childhood and why my parents were always in a bad mood.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
I thought the winter two years ago was one of the worst then it got warm in March and lasted all summer.

It seemed to me that winter was either dry and cold or mild temps with a lot of snow.

I only really remember the blizzard of 78, a heavy snowfall in April of 82, and frigid 1983 blast. The late 70's bad winter may explain why I hated my childhood and why my parents were always in a bad mood.

Those two are at the top of my leaderboard. Even the one two years ago was just the one really bad week or so. Other than that, it wasn't too bad.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)

I thought the winter 2 years ago was the easiest of my lifetime. It seemed for every day it was cold, it would be followed up by 4 or 5 at least 40 degrees, and it hardly snowed at all. Maybe that was different if you are in the snowbelt. I live in the city and as bad as I have it, living in Northern Indiana seems like you get the same temperatures but a lot more snow.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
I thought the winter 2 years ago was the easiest of my lifetime. It seemed for every day it was cold, it would be followed up by 4 or 5 at least 40 degrees, and it hardly snowed at all. Maybe that was different if you are in the snowbelt. I live in the city and as bad as I have it, living in Northern Indiana seems like you get the same temperatures but a lot more snow.

I believe South Bend averages about double the snowfall that Chicago does, which is typical for anywhere between South Bend and Michigan City or so.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)

Wasn't that the bigger snowfall/mild blizzard. It seemed that it snowed almost every day.

I used to think that snow seemed to only last a while and for the most part the ground would have dry periods that winter in 2011 and especially this year are terrible.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)
I believe South Bend averages about double the snowfall that Chicago does, which is typical for anywhere between South Bend and Michigan City or so.

Michigan City and Berrien County MI tend to exceed South Bend's numbers.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
Looks like O'hare is expected to get 9.6 inches, Midway 9.1. I think every storm prediction so far this year has ended up too low though.

They have pushed the track about 50 miles north over the past 36-48 hours or so. When this started, highway 30 was about the bullseye. Now it is O'hare.

They have pushed the track about 50 miles north over the past 36-48 hours or so. When this started, highway 30 was about the bullseye. Now it is O'hare.

Yeah, we were originally told that we might get the bulk of the snow down this way, but now we are being told that it's going to be mostly rain, which with still frozen ground ought to be a lot of fun.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 01:52 PM)
Yeah, we were originally told that we might get the bulk of the snow down this way, but now we are being told that it's going to be mostly rain, which with still frozen ground ought to be a lot of fun.

I don't want to see the track be any further north, as they are predicting ice storms on the south end of the snow line.