It's cold outside

Rowand44

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)
As of January 10th, Chicago had already spent over half of it's $20M annual snow budget.

Lots of towns have already either spent all of their budgets, or very close to it, all over NW IN. It has been brutal.

Our school system has already had 10 non-traditional school days out of 90. That is 6 cancels and 4 delayed starts.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
I just got an email from my town that said they're running out of salt. More salt is hard to come by I guess. I bet this has been a great season for those salt companies.

It's a conspiracy! Obama's been manipulating the weather to help his salt company contributors!!!

I just got an email from my town that said they're running out of salt. More salt is hard to come by I guess. I bet this has been a great season for those salt companies.

The city of elgin uses a brine/beet juice mixture to cut down their salt usage. Its kind of funny when you see the roads with a purplish tint

http://blog.chicagolandh2o.org/2011/02/08/...nagement-blues/

There is also a really bad propane shortage. I keep seeing people talking about triple the normal prices.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
There is also a really bad propane shortage. I keep seeing people talking about triple the normal prices.

Illinois (and several other states) have declared "propane emergencies." According to WBEZ, 40% of Illinois homes are heated with propane.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
Southerners like them have no problem making fun of us when we are driving on ice and living in sub zero temps.

Does this actually happen? I don't know a single person that I've ever heard "make fun of" Northerners when you have bad weather. People might think you're crazy for living in a part of the country that can get weather like that, but I wouldn't say anyone makes fun of it. The most common reaction is awe. Like, how the heck do you handle that much snow and/or negative temperatures?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)

I was just talking to a guy about that yesterday. Said his propane is typically $1.79 a gallon or so but it's shot up to right around $5 a gallon.

Natural gas is a godsend.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
Does this actually happen? I don't know a single person that I've ever heard "make fun of" Northerners when you have bad weather. People might think you're crazy for living in a part of the country that can get weather like that, but I wouldn't say anyone makes fun of it. The most common reaction is awe. Like, how the heck do you handle that much snow and/or negative temperatures?

Yes, constantly.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)

Maybe it is just my news feed but if it is s***ty up here, I get all of the southerners posing their temps on facebook.

Pretty much every part of the country has to deal with some sort of extreme weather at some time throughout the year. What's unique about the Midwest is that we often deal with high heat and humidty; snow, ice, and frigid temps; and violent thunderstorms and tornadoes every year. Think about this: If around July 6 it gets to be in the upper 90s (which is entirely possible), that would be about a 115 degree temperature swing in 6 months. That sort of temperature span doesn't happen throughout the country.

I've lived in Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Alaska, Connecticut, Maryland, and Illinois, and the weather here is by far the most diverse.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)
According to WGN, by Saturday night O'Hare should see a total of 7 new inches of snow, by Wednesday midnight a total of 17 inches. Followed by more negative temps. Worst winter EVER?

This winter is being compared to the brutal winters of the late 70s. I wonder if we're slipping back into that type of pattern where we'll have a few winters in a row like this.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)
According to WGN, by Saturday night O'Hare should see a total of 7 new inches of snow, by Wednesday midnight a total of 17 inches. Followed by more negative temps. Worst winter EVER?

I would think if you are 30 and under it is the worst winter ever. WGN does go extreme on it's snow totals. Accuweather still has 2-4 inches in the next week. But everyone agrees the ridiculously cold is returning.

Anytime you are celebrating it being 20 degrees, something is wrong.