Expectations: Jose Abreu

Jose Abreu

Jose Abreu ASGs  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How many ASGs will Abreu be selected for in this contract?

QUOTE (Cubano @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 06:59 AM)
I got tickets for the O's vs WS on June 23 at Camden Yards. I will show up with my Abreu team Cuba WBC jersey. I hope Ventura does not give him that Monday off.

Buyable?

And, good to hear from you, C.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 08:10 AM)
Buyable?

And, good to hear from you, C.

I asked here when you signed Abreu and nobody took a swing. It cost me $120-130 from MLB.com during the WBC. I would probably keep it. Last time I went to the Orioles Park, one dude told me that Bobby Abreu was good when he was with the Phillies. :huh:

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 07:55 AM)
I still like my prediction . Optimistic about when the weather heats up tempered with the length of the season compared to the Cuban league.

still like it? ;)

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 05:40 AM)
I'm going to say....

.270 AVG, 28 HR, 104 RBI, 3.2 WAR

And because every seems to care, I will say 165 Ks, which would put him somewhere around like 23-25% K-rate?

Just to put these predictions in to perspective, here is where those would rank last year among 1B.....

.270 AVG (13th)

28 HR (8th)

104 RBI (5th)

3.2 WAR (8th)

23-25% K rate (19th)

That would pretty much make him a fringe top-10 1B next year, and his best OFFENSIVE comparison would have been Prince Fielder. Now hopefully he plays better defense than Prince, so he will have a WAR higher than Prince's 2.2, and more like Eric Hosmer's 3.1.

I'd take that in a rookie season 8 days of the week.

I remember reading this and thinking it was right on. Tempered my expectations, this is realistic, it's not overly cynical, this is perfect.

I wish right then future bmags could have appeared and told me he'd have hit more home runs than that by the all star break.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
The guy has pretty much hit or exceeded all of these predictions... at the All-Star break. Considering the contract that Miguel Cabrera has, Jose Abreu has to be joining Chris Sale as the biggest bargains in baseball.

The crazy thing is that the mocking predictions have more or less become realistic.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 07:11 AM)
still like it? ;)

Uh huh. I think it was one of the more optimistic ones and accurate ones. Probably will surpass my HR and RBI totals easily but if he starts getting walked a lot and the long season affects him things can change. His avg. now is .292 , I put .301. OBP now .346 I put .360. OPS now .972 I put .910 .

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 06:37 PM)
f*** it, he's gonna be the Rookie of the Year over Tanaka.

All-Star each year of his deal. He'll make Puig's numbers look pedestrian.

The Grantland article said even for league adjustment, his numbers blew Miguel Cabrera out of the water. So let's use him as a base.

.320/.430/.600 slashline with 40+ HR.

JDFA

Not far off, just needs a f***ton more walks.

• 5 weeks later...

Abreu final stats unless he pinch hits today.

Avg .317 (5th in AL ) ,OBP .383 , SLG .581 (1st in AL) , OPS .964 (2nd in AL) , 35 Doubles ,36 HR (3rd in AL ), 107 RBI (4th in AL ),131 K's , OPS+ 169, wOBA .411 , wRC+ 165, BB% 8.2 , K% 21.1 , WAR 5.2/5.4

Stake your claim if you did well on your predictions :)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
I'm going to give some props on this one. A little low on the slugging estimate.

Thank you. I didn't predict a SLG% but I got the .300+ BA , .900+ OPS , .360+ OBP pretty accurately not to mention only 1 off each on HR's and RBI .

Remember I also predicted the final score (3-2) and a Toews goal in the Stanley Cup final game in 2013. :)

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 04:32 PM)
Thank you. I didn't predict a SLG% but I got the .300+ BA , .900+ OPS , .360+ OBP pretty accurately not to mention only 1 off each on HR's and RBI .

Remember I also predicted the final score (3-2) and a Toews goal in the Stanley Cup final game in 2013. :)

Technically, if you predict an OBP and an OPS you've also predicted a slugging ;)

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)

Tell me, how will the Sox (2015), Bulls, Bears, and Blackhawks do this season?