Expectations: Jose Abreu

Jose Abreu

Jose Abreu ASGs  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How many ASGs will Abreu be selected for in this contract?

Doug Padilla ‏@ESPNChiSox 1h

Sale just faced Abreu in live BP. When he saw Abreu's sheer size he joked that he wanted a reliever.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 1h

Sale felt good about his first live BP. Said he saw Abreu get in the box and thought, "Can someone else get out here and pitch?"

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...igns-in-live-bp

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 19, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
No one mentioning what happened in the session...

They did in the link

“I’m glad I don’t have to face them (in the regular season),” Sale said. “Abreu got in there, and I was like, ‘All right, someone else can pitch.’ I’ll make sure to keep that L screen in front of me. Those guys look good. Everyone looks like they’re coming in, gaining some weight, looking strong. I’m looking forward to it.”

Abreu and Garcia might have looked imposing, but they were hardly confident facing pitches at 90 mph-plus for the first time. Garcia looked uncomfortable facing Sale’s fastball and then laughed when the left-hander threw an off-speed pitch that buckled his knees.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 19, 2014 -> 08:30 PM)
They did in the link

“I’m glad I don’t have to face them (in the regular season),” Sale said. “Abreu got in there, and I was like, ‘All right, someone else can pitch.’ I’ll make sure to keep that L screen in front of me. Those guys look good. Everyone looks like they’re coming in, gaining some weight, looking strong. I’m looking forward to it.”

Abreu and Garcia might have looked imposing, but they were hardly confident facing pitches at 90 mph-plus for the first time. Garcia looked uncomfortable facing Sale’s fastball and then laughed when the left-hander threw an off-speed pitch that buckled his knees.

Well, it is Sale we are talking about. Glad he gets to face an ace in practice.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 19, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
They did in the link

This makes me remember that first at-bat Joe Mauer had against Chris Sale.

The more I read about this guy, the more I want March 31st to just get here already.

Also, to those that feared Konerko would get 400 ABs and so would Abreu, you can just tell from everybody's comments within the organization that that's simply not going to happen.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 19, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)
The more I read about this guy, the more I want March 31st to just get here already. Also, to those that feared Konerko would get 400 ABs and so would Abreu, you can just tell from everybody's comments within the organization that that's simply not going to happen.

I am starting to believe, but I won't be convinced until I see Abreu's name on that lineup card everyday.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 19, 2014 -> 11:24 PM)
He's doing it to communicate with the media and teammates (but mainly media, don't ask me why)

I think it 's a positive note that he wants to be able to communicate with the media. The media basically controls his image to the fans, and the fact that he wants to be part of that makes me think that he wants to be fan-friendly, or at least approachable. The White Sox need players that are approachable and "everyday kind of guys" so people can relate to them and buy into something (if we aren't winning). Something to make young fans and families enjoy the team we have. I'm all for it.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Feb 19, 2014 -> 09:40 PM)
I think it 's a positive note that he wants to be able to communicate with the media. The media basically controls his image to the fans, and the fact that he wants to be part of that makes me think that he wants to be fan-friendly, or at least approachable. The White Sox need players that are approachable and "everyday kind of guys" so people can relate to them and buy into something (if we aren't winning). Something to make young fans and families enjoy the team we have. I'm all for it.

He's going to be the new team leader very soon, and the new team Captain not too much later. :wub:

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 19, 2014 -> 10:00 PM)
sounds like a waste of time to me. Sammy Sosa didn't learn English and look at how many home runs he hit

Sammy always spoke English fine until they started asking him whether he was juicing

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 20, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
Bruce Levine ‏@MLBBruceLevine 10m

Abreu hit three effortless shots in a row . Last one was 440 to right center.

Regardless of whether he's good or not, his bat and presence in the box are f***in scary. At least that's what I'm taking from these early snippets.

• 2 months later...