2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 10:29 PM)
He's not a Rodgers/Manning/Luck, but he can win a Super Bowl with a good team which he hasn't had before, but might now. People love to hate him because the media loves the Cowboys but I would take him over Cutty anyday

I don't know if I've said this here or at another sports forum, but I put Romo at the top of the 2nd tier of QBs, in the same grouping as Rivers and Matt Ryan, but not in the top tier of Rodgers, Manning, Brady (barely hanging on), Luck, and Brees.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PFF for Bears yesterday:

Best O:

Kyle Long (+2.4 overall, +1.6 pass block)

Martellus Bennett (+2.0 overall, +0.9 pass)

Matt Forte (+1.9 overall, +1.8 pass)

Worst O:

Jay Cutler (-2.2 overall, -1.0 pass)

Jordan Mills (-2.2 overall, -1.1 pass block)

Alshon Jeffery (-1.5 overall, -1.6 pass)

Best D:

Jay Ratliff (+2.6 overall, +2.0 pass rush)

Tim Jennings (+1.7 overall, +0.9 pass coverage)

D.J. Williams (+1.6 overall, +1.9 run defense)

Worst D:

Khaseem Greene (-3.4 overall, -2.4 pass coverage)

Jared Allen (-3.4 overall, -1.9 run defense)

Sherrick McManis (-3.0 overall, -2.6 pass coverage)

Some season numbers for the defense:

Top:

Ratliff (+8.5 overall, +4.2 run defense)

LaMarr Houston (+4.3 overall, +4.4 pass rush)

Willie Young (+4.3 overall, +6.4 run defense)

Lance Briggs (+2.9 overall, +4.5 run defense)

Also of note...

LaMarr Houston leads all 4-3 DE in QB hits with 10, despite his 0 sacks. 5th in hurries. Second in football regardless of position, after JJ Watt (who has 20 f***ing QB hits for Christ's sake).

Bears O ranks 8th in NFL, just 3 spots ahead of this past week's opponent MIA. Bears D 18th. ST improves one spot to 30.

Green Bay, in spite of reputation, ranks number one in pass blocking.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 07:37 AM)
Also of note...

LaMarr Houston leads all 4-3 DE in QB hits with 10, despite his 0 sacks. 5th in hurries. Second in football regardless of position, after JJ Watt (who has 20 f***ing QB hits for Christ's sake).

Bears O ranks 8th in NFL, just 3 spots ahead of this past week's opponent MIA. Bears D 18th. ST improves one spot to 30.

Green Bay, in spite of reputation, ranks number one in pass blocking.

How is that even possible? :o

I want to like Pro Football Focus, but sometimes I don't get it.

Aaron Rodgers yesterday completed 86.4% of his passes. He averaged 11 yards per completion. 3 touchdowns and no turnovers. His PFF grade is 0.6. So he just played ok to borderline bad. How does someone play better?

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 08:32 AM)
I want to like Pro Football Focus, but sometimes I don't get it.

Aaron Rodgers yesterday completed 86.4% of his passes. He averaged 11 yards per completion. 3 touchdowns and no turnovers. His PFF grade is 0.6. So he just played ok to borderline bad. How does someone play better?

Yeah but how was his run blocking?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
What a selfish player. They should probably trade him ASAP or risk upheaval in the locker room.

Nelson said Rodgers has to play with more heart. Rodgers responded with "You just kick the ball!!"

Total confusion.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
So I guess Trestman's not going to call time and try to drive the ball with 45 seconds?

I was so pissed when we were down 14 and had a shot to get the ball back with 2 more timeouts left (after using one to stop the clock at 45 seconds). That was just a disaster....so was the rest of the game on all phases. I am pretty much speachless. Horrific. We weren't ready to play and a lot of guys didn't show up. Jay deserves the heat for this one too. It was his worse game of the season.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 05:53 PM)
Which is pathetic. Fans have a right to boo when they overpay for tickets and the team (0-3 at home) does not do **** when expectations were so high.

The fans were pathetic. In the first half there were numerous times on 3rd down the bulk of the stadium was and the noise in general was quiet. Not the fans fault but still pathetic none the less.

On a sidenote, was it just me, or did it look like we weren't prepared to play on either side of the ball. Between Trestman's clock management and the fact that he kept Tucker and Decamillis around...if this offense keeps playing this poorly, we might be looking at a new coach next year. If we are scoring this few points per game without legitimate excuses as to why, I think it is time to consider the fact that the league was right about Trestman and he isn't head coaching material. I'd also say the same thing about Jay. They better get this offense rolling.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
On a sidenote, was it just me, or did it look like we weren't prepared to play on either side of the ball. Between Trestman's clock management and the fact that he kept Tucker and Decamillis around...if this offense keeps playing this poorly, we might be looking at a new coach next year. If we are scoring this few points per game without legitimate excuses as to why, I think it is time to consider the fact that the league was right about Trestman and he isn't head coaching material. I'd also say the same thing about Jay. They better get this offense rolling.

I agree. Trestman's offense is just way too complicated. There are way too many sight adjustments to turn a 5 yard play into a 7 yard play and instead it ends up being an INT.

I was thinking yesterday, if Mike Martz or Ron Turner had this offensive talent, would they be better or worse than this? I honestly am not sure it would be worse. Jay would get sacked a lot more under Martz, but he also had an offense with Knox and Hester as WR1 and WR2, and Webb as starting LT look pretty damn good through 10 games before Jay broke his finger.

I'm just very frustrated at this point. That was an excellent coaching class that we quite possibly swung and missed on. I feel like the bears just drafted Darko.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)
I agree. Trestman's offense is just way too complicated. There are way too many sight adjustments to turn a 5 yard play into a 7 yard play and instead it ends up being an INT.

I was thinking yesterday, if Mike Martz or Ron Turner had this offensive talent, would they be better or worse than this? I honestly am not sure it would be worse. Jay would get sacked a lot more under Martz, but he also had an offense with Knox and Hester as WR1 and WR2, and Webb as starting LT look pretty damn good through 10 games before Jay broke his finger.

I'm just very frustrated at this point. That was an excellent coaching class that we quite possibly swung and missed on. I feel like the bears just drafted Darko.

I'm with you. In reality, these next few weeks are going to be key to Trestman's and Cutler's career. Trestman can survive a season with strong offense and poor defense but both he has no chance of sticking around (or at least shouldn't). And at the same time, Jay doesn't deserve to stick around either if that happens. If we go with a new coach then we need to figure out a way to get rid of Jay too. He doens't get to play with another coach.

That said, they have time to get the offense righted and I don't know if some of this is Kromer calling plays vs. Trestman or what. I don't know but the offense has to be fixed. 2 carries, odd as play calls on 3rd and 1. We consistently are outcoached and poor clock management. I really don't like the fact that Jay has no idea what was wrong with the pick to Marty saying taht is where he should have thrown the ball. I had zero clue where that ball was going but was hoping somehow he underthrew it to Holmes or something cause there was no way that ball is completed to Marty (what an awful read).

He could have said I thought it was X, but Y happened, but he literally said that is where the ball should have gone. Sorry buddy, not on that play.

PS: It is too bad things went bad in those other games cause that is why this loss hurts so much more. Bears pull out a couple of the games they should have and the talk is about this being Cutler's bad game, blah blah blah. Difference between winning and losing is very minimal and that is why execution and playing with professionalism is so important.

Mags, one last point, you hit the nail on the head to me. It seems like there is a lot more variability in routes in this offense then a typical offense and that can lead to many more instances of miscommunication where QB reads one thing, WR another.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)

Well news flash to the media, screaming an yelling goes on in locker rooms, in every sport, on every team. Also, not all players get along all the time, on every team, in every sport.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 09:10 AM)
Well news flash to the media, screaming an yelling goes on in locker rooms, in every sport, on every team. Also, not all players get along all the time, on every team, in every sport.

Probably most so in football. So many different personalities and so many players.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)

Ya, honestly that didn't even register as a story to me when I first heard it. I almost feel like it's a good sign that these guys care.

Funny, but one of the things that turned Alex Smith's career around was Harbaugh came in and eliminated sight adjustments. The opportunity to take advantage of an alignment at the line of scrimmage was removed, along with the possibility of a miscommunication and turnover.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
If San Fran lets Harbaugh leave, I'll be the first to welcome him in Chicago! I don't care who likes you as long as you consistently win football games and don't have off the field issues.

PLus it would make Michigan fans cry, double positive.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)

I've always been alone in my support of Martz, so I will simply say, I do think if he or even Ron Turner(who I was never a fan of) was given an opportunity to have these offensive weapons, they would've done wonders. Potential still would not have been met though until they finally got rid of the sod.

One thing with PFF is the point allotment can have to do with things that can't easily be conveyed by looking at other statistics. For instance, in their ReFo for yesterday's game, they said they didn't reward Tannehill handsomely for his hot start because he had several easy throws where he threw them inaccurately, costing the receivers (who made good plays to catch them) chances at getting YAC

I don't really see Trestman being the fall guy here. I know in reality he's hooked to Jay, so if Jay is run out of town, so will he, but there's no way the Bears are giving up on Trestman after 2 or 3 seasons. They're putting up historical franchise numbers. An offense the franchise has never seen before. The system is fine, it's the player (QB) running it that's the problem.

That's not to say Trestman doesn't have some faults - his time out usage, his end of half management, etc. are all a little puzzling (at least there's a theory behind it, even if I don't agree). And even his play calling seems too boom or bust (calling a bomb on 3rd and 1 instead of just getting the first down.) But that's not the MAIN problem on offense.

The problem with this team is Cutler. And yeah, that might be my anti-Cutler homerism coming in to play a bit, but when the guy doesn't turn the ball over, the team wins. And they score a ton of points. When he plays like s***, the defense is on the field way too long and they lose. It's that simple. It can't be ALL the coach if the same plays result in wins and scoring and big plays when the QB makes the right decision.

For next year, my wish is that Rex Ryan gets canned in New York and agrees to be the DC in Chicago like his daddy.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
I'll trust PFF after thinking it was dumb for calling Mills horrible, when as soon as we stopped helping him in protection in favor of Bushrod he promptly is a sieve.

I still wonder how Briggs gets that good of a grade on the season though cause he's had a few solid games but also some stinkers. I agree on Mills. I think it is time for Ola to start. Not writing Mills off, just saying we need to make a change there because there were a few times where Mills couldn't hold his block and a split second longer and we have a different outcome. There were a couple open big play shots that weren't able to happen because of Mills.

Either way, we've seen this team be resilient and we need them to be after that performance. Come back and get back to .500 with a win on the road against New England and you again keep some opportunities around, especially with plenty of divisional games left.