2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 12:41 PM)
Sure, but the same can be said of Cutler.

To be honest, I don't think that was the case last year. Cutler did not benefit from near as many Jeffrey WTF catches as McCown did. And this year, I can think of about 1 WTF catch on the season which was that Marshall catch in the San Fran game. Otherwise I can think more about our wideouts big drops then big plays, which is sad in an of itself.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
Cutler likes to change out of plays a lot. He's given a lot of freedom which is why he likes Trestman. Marc is also a wimp so Marc won't say anything to Jay. No one in this town will. Waddle, Silvy, Carm and Jurko all just talked about how they may have hired the wrong coach. Carm seemed like he was ready to bring up Cutler by talking about the turnovers being the other huge problem, but they right away went back to Trestman.

Trestman was never a great hire, but he does know offense. The problem is Jay. Until he's gone, this offense will never reach it's full potential, or even 75%.

I mean they have a Jay Cutler show, so they have to keep him happy or they lose out on a big draw Monday afternoons. Really I was surprised how much Silvy "went after" Cutler a few weeks ago when it came down to clock management/play call issues that Cutler was apart of. Waddle made sure to justify/excuse everything he did though.

That pompous ass-hat Wilbon is actually the most critical. In his special way of humble-bragging how great he is, he calls out Cutler constantly for being a mediocre QB that will never lead the Bears to a Superbowl.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)
To be honest, I don't think that was the case last year. Cutler did not benefit from near as many Jeffrey WTF catches as McCown did. And this year, I can think of about 1 WTF catch on the season which was that Marshall catch in the San Fran game. Otherwise I can think more about our wideouts big drops then big plays, which is sad in an of itself.

The majority of McCown's success was just steadily moving the ball downfield and not making a dumb play. Cutler has gotten plenty of great catches from Marshall or Bennett or Jeffrey to make him look good. I think over 6-7 games all that stuff evens out.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 10:56 AM)
Our QB has 10 turnovers in 7 games. How is that the HC's fault? He's done all he can to keep Cutler from making those mistakes. He's dumbed down the play calling to the point that it's been a lot of dink and dunk stuff to Forte. And even though that works, Cutler feels the need to make a big play and that's where mistakes happen.

First of all, the HC calls the freaking plays. If you don't think that has an impact on turnovers, umm, well ok.

Secondly, you have no clue if this is the case, you're just guessing based on Jay dumping it off to Matt a lot. You have no idea if that is Jay making that decision, or if Forte is the primary receiver on those routes. Obviously on the screens where Jay throws it at Forte's feet we know what was going on there, but otherwise, where Jay is going with the ball is dependent on the reads he makes.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)
I mean they have a Jay Cutler show, so they have to keep him happy or they lose out on a big draw Monday afternoons. Really I was surprised how much Silvy "went after" Cutler a few weeks ago when it came down to clock management/play call issues that Cutler was apart of. Waddle made sure to justify/excuse everything he did though.

That pompous ass-hat Wilbon is actually the most critical. In his special way of humble-bragging how great he is, he calls out Cutler constantly for being a mediocre QB that will never lead the Bears to a Superbowl.

I disagree, Cutler can lead the Bears to a SB, we just need a 86 Bears defense to cover up his mistakes :lol:

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
First of all, the HC calls the freaking plays. If you don't think that has an impact on turnovers, umm, well ok.

Secondly, you have no clue if this is the case, you're just guessing based on Jay dumping it off to Matt a lot. You have no idea if that is Jay making that decision, or if Forte is the primary receiver on those routes. Obviously on the screens where Jay throws it at Forte's feet we know what was going on there, but otherwise, where Jay is going with the ball is dependent on the reads he makes.

How on earth can play calling lead to a turnover? It's Trestman's fault when Cutler throws it into triple coverage? The HC/OC calls a run play or a pass play. It's up to the QB to pass the ball, throw it away, take the sack, etc. Yes, you can call stupid plays that are riskier than others, but ultimately your franchise, 54 million dollar QB should be making the right decision even with a difficult play call.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
cutler bailed on his radio show today. Instead Kyle long was on the air and apologized for his words. Polar opposites as people. Cutler is such a classless f***. I'm so sick of him.

Not really surprising. He was going to get ripped by the fans.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 03:07 PM)
How on earth can play calling lead to a turnover? It's Trestman's fault when Cutler throws it into triple coverage? The HC/OC calls a run play or a pass play. It's up to the QB to pass the ball, throw it away, take the sack, etc. Yes, you can call stupid plays that are riskier than others, but ultimately your franchise, 54 million dollar QB should be making the right decision even with a difficult play call.

A bad play call or a play call that is ineffective puts the offense, or in particular, certain players, in a bad position. Certainly Trestman doesn't throw an interception or fumble, but his sophistication as a playcaller certainly has an impact on the success of an offense or a given play.

I'm certainly not praising his performance or anything, and he didn't even appear to be into the game yesterday, but you've got a clear agenda here and it's pretty obvious.

It's not really an agenda, just an opinion I feel strongly about. I'm glad people have finally reached the point where he doesn't get yet another excuse. He is what he is, the Bears are what the Bears are: totally mediocre. And it sucks. I thought they were a contender going into the season.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
cutler bailed on his radio show today. Instead Kyle long was on the air and apologized for his words. Polar opposites as people. Cutler is such a classless f***. I'm so sick of him.

Eh. Classless is a guy that beats his wife or abuse drugs. Just because Jay doesn't put on a fake air to get people to like him doesn't make him classless. It makes him honest.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 05:08 PM)
Not really surprising. He was going to get ripped by the fans.

I don't know about that. Maybe didn't want to talk about or answer questions about what happened in locker room after the game.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 07:16 AM)
It took Peyton Manning 246 games to break Favre's career TD record. Maintaining his current pace, it would take him another 127 games to break his career INT record.

Favre liked to throw a couple to the other team here and there.

Actually his int% isn't that bad. 3.3%. Elway was at 3.1%.

Edited by GoSox05

Re Cutler

Apparently he is the reason Forte had 2 rushing attempts in the first half on Sunday, many more runs were called but checked out. One reason he loves Trestman's offense is he has been given a very broad ability to check out of something and call basically whatever he wants.

Trastman supposedly really limited that at halftime on Sunday after Jay checked into a 54 yard 0 point half.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 03:37 AM)
I don't know about that. Maybe didn't want to talk about or answer questions about what happened in locker room after the game.

I'm so sick of every game (win or loss) being about cutler. If they win and he plays well, it's "yeah, but still..." from his detractors. If they lose, it's "see, I told you...." I'm not sure why certain guys are such lightning rods.

That said, it's inexcusable that he skipped his show on espn1000. Equally bad that waddle and Silvy didn't explain the reason why. It shows a lack of accountability and lack of leadership from cutler. I know it wouldn't have been an easy show, but jay should have appeared on it.

I can excuse on field failures because there's often much more to a QB making mistakes than we can see. A interception can be a bad read by the QB, a missed block, a bad pattern by the wr, or a combination of so many things. We focus on the qb.

However, the failure to show up and be a leader and be accountable can only be jay's fault.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 08:22 AM)
I'm so sick of every game (win or loss) being about cutler. If they win and he plays well, it's "yeah, but still..." from his detractors. If they lose, it's "see, I told you...." I'm not sure why certain guys are such lightning rods.

That said, it's inexcusable that he skipped his show on espn1000. Equally bad that waddle and Silvy didn't explain the reason why. It shows a lack of accountability and lack of leadership from cutler. I know it wouldn't have been an easy show, but jay should have appeared on it.

I can excuse on field failures because there's often much more to a QB making mistakes than we can see. A interception can be a bad read by the QB, a missed block, a bad pattern by the wr, or a combination of so many things. We focus on the qb.

However, the failure to show up and be a leader and be accountable can only be jay's fault.

The fact is, how Jay goes is how the Bears go. When he is good they win. When he is bad, they lose. It is pretty apparent 7 games in.

Not running the ball in the first half was very confusing. Especially on that third and 1 in that first drive.

The defense had a nice series to give the ball back to the offense and we just squandered that chance. Of course, the Dolphins then drive the length of the field and score.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
Not running the ball in the first half was very confusing. Especially on that third and 1 in that first drive.

The defense had a nice series to give the ball back to the offense and we just squandered that chance. Of course, the Dolphins then drive the length of the field and score.

That one to me is a little excusable. It's the first drive. You're setting up the tempo of the game. 3rd and 1 the defense is expecting a run, so a bomb there (1) has a decent chance of connecting and (2) regardless of success, it's going to open the field a little more.

Also this from that article:

After an interception and fumble, Cutler moved up on some ugly lists: Only one NFL player has lost more fumbles than his three, and only two have thrown more than his seven picks.

Just not good enough.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
That one to me is a little excusable. It's the first drive. You're setting up the tempo of the game. 3rd and 1 the defense is expecting a run, so a bomb there (1) has a decent chance of connecting and (2) regardless of success, it's going to open the field a little more.

Also this from that article:

Just not good enough.

He's been incredibly fumble-prone this year. He's kept the INTs down for the most part, but add the fumbles to it and it's just as bad as previous years.

And I can understand going for a play like that on second and short. But third and short? I don't like it.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)
Know what Cutlers at? 3.3% So I guess Jay hasn't been that bad eh?

My friends and I wondered how many picks Favre threw when we were watching the Broncos game Sunday. We looked up his stats and my first remark was...hey Favre's basically like Cutler (86 QB rating, Cutler's is around 85).

But you have to take the era into account. Back when Favre's hayday, a 90 QB rating was pro-bowl level. Today, a 90 QB rating puts you at mediocre.

Edited by chw42