2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 09:14 AM)
Favre threw a lot of TD's as well.

Which this year, by and large, Jay has done. Jay has gotten ripped too many times when he didn't deserve it that when he does deserve it, which he did for the Dolphins game, that I'm sure it appears worse. It never ceases to amaze me how bad and reactionary some Bear fans are. Oh well, tis sports.

Either way, I like hearing what Trestman did in the 2nd half but is that the same excuse from the games earlier this year where there was no running game? Was Jay really the one deciding not to throw deep balls the first 4 to 5 weeks of the season? I think there are more issues to go around and I also wonder if we'll start to see Trestman get a little more involved in the play calling again. Remember, last year Tresty called the plays and this year it is Kromer.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay has always had awful fundamentals when it comes to ball security in the pocket. He is very averse to putting both hands on the ball and he tends to hold it low. You can't pick and choose when to secure when you often don't see the threat coming - it's surprising to me the fumbles haven't been a bigger problem in the past, when he was sloppier and sacked more often.

Cowboys waived DE Michael Sam from the practice squad.

Sam had been with the Cowboys' taxi squad since before Week 1, but never earned a promotion to the 53-man roster. The NFL's first-openly gay player will now search for more practice-squad work. Sam notched three sacks in four preseason games, but his size (6-foot-2, 261 pounds) and one dimensional pass-rushing repertoire are holding him back.

per Rotoworld

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 05:25 PM)
Jay has always had awful fundamentals when it comes to ball security in the pocket. He is very averse to putting both hands on the ball and he tends to hold it low. You can't pick and choose when to secure when you often don't see the threat coming - it's surprising to me the fumbles haven't been a bigger problem in the past, when he was sloppier and sacked more often.

He totally did see that guy coming though which was most infuriating.

Not sure if anyone saw the business insider but it talked a lot about how the Bears offense is extremely predictable. Packers players indicated when we line up in certain sets, we always go to same area and same play and that led to a pick. The other issue brought up by Miami was the fact that Jay is staring down wideouts is a more concerning issue from the Jay Cutler perspective as he isn't a young player in this league and at that point it is totally unacceptable. I do think he's done a nice job going to other options and made some nice throws on secondary and third reads, however, we clearly haven't seen many guys outside of our top playmakers make plays have catches. Productivity below those guys has been so minimal vs. when you look at a Rodgers or Manning who spread the ball all over the place.

Some of Cutler's peripheral stats, however, indicate improvement. His 67.3 completion percentage through seven games this year is better than any of his previous single-season marks. His 2.7 interception percentage beats all but one of his previous single-season clips, and his 14 touchdowns have him on pace for a career-high.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 05:10 PM)
Not sure if anyone saw the business insider but it talked a lot about how the Bears offense is extremely predictable. Packers players indicated when we line up in certain sets, we always go to same area and same play and that led to a pick. The other issue brought up by Miami was the fact that Jay is staring down wideouts is a more concerning issue from the Jay Cutler perspective as he isn't a young player in this league and at that point it is totally unacceptable. I do think he's done a nice job going to other options and made some nice throws on secondary and third reads, however, we clearly haven't seen many guys outside of our top playmakers make plays have catches. Productivity below those guys has been so minimal vs. when you look at a Rodgers or Manning who spread the ball all over the place.

Some of Cutler's peripheral stats, however, indicate improvement. His 67.3 completion percentage through seven games this year is better than any of his previous single-season marks. His 2.7 interception percentage beats all but one of his previous single-season clips, and his 14 touchdowns have him on pace for a career-high.

Great, he's a slightly better version of his very mediocre self. With the weapons he's been given the last couple of years, that's just not enough improvement.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
Great, he's a slightly better version of his very mediocre self. With the weapons he's been given the last couple of years, that's just not enough improvement.

Yup. If McCown can do what he did last year with this team, there's no reason Cutler shouldn't come close to that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
I still just feel like Trestman has given Cutler a multiple choice test but Cutler continues to just pick C.

For some reason, I can totally picture Cutler taking a multiple-choice test, circling C for everything, and saying "DON'T CAREEEEEEEEEEE" and then smoking a cigarette outside after he's done in 5 minutes.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 09:01 PM)
He really makes me respect the job Mike Periera does on FOX

Seriously. I was iffy on Pereira, but I liked him a lot more after watching Carey a few times.

And Gerry Austin seems to sometimes suffer from Lou Holtz syndrome -- how is he paid to talk on TV?

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 09:07 AM)
Seriously. I can't believe Mike Carey was a ref. I have so much less confidence now in refs knowing he was a top one for 10 years.

To be fair, we all thought this when he was a ref too. It isnt like now we see him on TV and realize he is a boob because he is trying to explain himself. It was always like this

Patriots injury report

Shane Vereen(illness), Offensive linemen Dan Connolly (concussion), Bryan Stork (concussion) and Cameron Fleming (finger), safety Nate Ebner (finger), defensive lineman Dominique Easley (shoulder/knee) and wide receiver Matthew Slater (shoulder) also are questionable.

Quarterback Tom Brady (ankle), cornerback Brandon Browner (ankle), safety Devin McCourty (rib), and linebackers Jamie Collins (thigh) and Dont’a Hightower (knee) are listed as probable.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/10/patriots-injury-re...gainst-bears/2/